“Mediocre at best”

Price range: USD 19 - USD 57
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Fine-dining, Brasserie style, or hearty pub-classics, find delicious food to suit every occasion from our 3 different restaurant areas at the Arundell Arms. All use fresh produce from local suppliers and all are led by Head Chef, Steven Pidgeon - internationally recognised for modern British cuisine and 1 of only 80 Master Chefs in Great Britain. This year we celebrate 20 consecutive years holding the AA 2 Rosette find dining award. We are also proud to be winners of the Taste of the West Gold award
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

On the upper side of the price scale for similar food elsewhere. They did fit us in on a busy night, and staff were very friendly, but the food was mediocre at best.

Arundell-food-bev, Manager at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

Dear Maritn H

firstly i am sorry to hear you found the food not to your satisfaction and would like you to contact me on the number below or via email to discuss the matter in more depth. I am however pleased you were able to be accommodated on the night in question.

kind regards

Christopher Powney
Food & Beverage Manager
Arundell Arms Hotel
F&B@arundellarms.com

Reviewed 1 September 2018

We have just returned from a Cornwall/Devon break and read great reviews on the Arundell Arms Hotel and the great food by chef Steve Pidgeon. So we booked a table for our very last day as a treat and were looking very much forward to eating food which has had great reviews and looked just like the images we saw on the website. I had read that chef Steve Pidgeon was leaving from a recent review and we were really hoping that he was still at the hotel. Looking at the website and other literature it had Steve still as Head Chef, so we felt a £200 splash on three courses might be a justified treat to what was a lovely holiday.

However, after we entered the restaurant and seeing only one table of four dining, my heart sank, thinking perhaps we were to be disappointed.

From the starter onwards things were not as great as we had hoped. Two of us found bones in the duck terrine. For the main, I ordered the Lamb Cutlets which were beautifully presented on the restaurant website, surely this could not go wrong?

Rather than three juicy cutlets with a herb crust, I got three tiny flat cutlets with a very miserable dollop of peas and jus and a strange raw leek?, the fondant potato was completely dry and burnt on one side. It was so far removed from a billed fluffy fondant potato that it resembled a tasteless 'hockey puck'!

To round off, I had a selection of cheeses which all looked sliced straight from the fridge, in no expense spared 3mm slices. None of them were brought out at room temp so they all tasted similar, that aside the selection had no thought or finess at all.

I truly am sorry for the negatives, I am a food lover and respect anyones job in the industry but whoever was in the kitchen on Friday cooking was certainly not Steve.

I suggest the owners make a statement on the website as I can clearly see he has now left, I will also not be returning.

Arundell-Arms, Owner at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Dear Dave D

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your meal on Friday evening. I am confused to why you say only one other table was occupied as on Friday night the restaurant was busy with several other parties.

I can only apologise for the bones in the homemade duck terrine. This is most unusual and the best end of lamb it is one of our most popular dishes. This was in fact one of the last evenings that Steve Pidgeon was cooking in the kitchen.
The cheeses are all local and we usually present 4 with a variety of a blue, hard, soft and goat.

Chris Heaver is our new Head Chef. He worked alongside Steve for the last 13 years. He will be launching his new menus and I hope that you will return to give us another chance.

Please contact me direct if I can help further.

Adam

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Had a great stay here. Very clean and friendly staff. Was originally concerned as dogs are welcome here and we are not doggy people. However had no issues at all as dogs were well provided for in separate areas. The food in the restaurant was excellent . We had the tasting menu on both nights. We had travel zoo vouchers so great value. I think the food would of been a bit expensive without it. The only slight negative for us was the breakfast . Very old fashioned and 1 of the waitresses was a bit rude and dismissive.

Arundell-food-bev, Manager at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear Tammy Wilts

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a 4 star review. It is always good to hear that are staff are friendly to our guest. I am however concerned about your remark about breakfast and the waitress at breakfast .

We are rethinking our breakfast menus and I can assure you ill look into the member of staff during your stay if you wish to email me then please feel free to do so.

I look forward to seeing you again

kind regards

christopher powney
Food & Beverage Manager

F&B@arundellarms.com

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Great fans of this hotel and restaurant for many years it’s delivers excellent food and with a great use of local produce and great seasonal produce as well.The biggest thing we love is the consistency of the food never had a bad meal and on our visit on Sunday lunch we found out that Steven Pidgeon head chef is leaving the hotelwe can always tell when his is in the kitchen because the food is always a higher standard to when he is off , we just hope the restaurant keeps up the excellent food.

1  Thank Wearst
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped off at the Arundell Arms Restaurant by chance as we had to charge our Tesla at the super chargers on their site. We ended up having dinner there and were not expecting much but we were pleasantly surprised.

The food was great! I had scallops with bacon, chorizo and salad which was really tasty. My boys had fish and chips which were really fresh and well cooked. My husband had a fish dish which was also very fresh and delicious. The Belgian waffles with ice cream was a perfect end to the meal.

The staff are lovely, welcoming and very helpful. It was a real find and we will definitely be back!

2  Thank gracelimsh
Arundell-Arms, Owner at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

Hi Gracelimsh,

Thank you for your kind review. It is great that the Tesla Superchargers are bringing new guests such as yourselves to us. The newest of Hi Tech meets traditional hospitality!

I hope you call in again when you next need to charge up.

Adam