“Greek theme night”

Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We returned as promised for a greek theme taster evening. From start to finish it was lovely. Staff excellent. Food delish. They even do a loyalty card which is a great idea. We will definatly be back.

LiftonHall, Owner at Lifton Hall Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Hello and thanks for the great review, we are so pleased the evening was a success for you and hope to see you again soon.

Robert

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely sandwiches and pate with bruschetta. The pisto soup sounded fab. Fantastic service. Cheered me up after an aweful morning. Will be back very soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

My husband and I had a superb afternoon tea. Staff were lovely. Tea was exquisite, with beautifully made lemon posses and perfect carrot cake and brownies. I do a lot of baking myself and know they had used the very best of ingredients to made a delicious and memorable tea. It was delightful to sit in the sun in the garden enjoying the beautiful plant pots and hanging baskets whilst sipping a glass of prosecco.Highly recommended.

LiftonHall, Owner at Lifton Hall Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2017

It was a pleasure to serve you, so sorry about the spillage! Hope we see you again soon and remember to tell all your friends and acquaintances to come visit us. Remember to give us a go for the 'Best Sunday lunch in Devon' current winners and hopefully winners again this year in the Devon life magazine awards...

Kind regards
Robert

Reviewed 22 June 2017

No idea what has happened here , but we had a large party booked well in advance...so much on the " shortened" menu was unavailable...we were not told we could not have the full menu when we booked ( had we known we would not have booked at all )... we were the only table in the restaurant, and the food was served at different times, not hot, really quite sad. We will never go there again...massive disappointment

LiftonHall, Owner at Lifton Hall Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

I am sorry that your experience of Lifton Hall was lacking. This is unusual for us, and we take your comments seriously. You have given us very little detail of your visit (date, number people etc), and I have been unable to find your booking by looking back through our diary, which makes it very difficult for us to comment on or defend your review.

As always with negative reviews (of which we get few), I would ask if you discussed your dissatisfaction with the staff working for you that evening when discovering the menu and apparent lack of choice, and if so what was the response? We have systems in place that any unhappy guests comments are fed back to the management team. I have no record of any such comments.

If you could come back to me with more details I will indeed investigate to ensure this kind of thing doesn't recur.

As a final note, our team will always advise guests when booking that any table over 14 covers will either be a pre-order or a reduced menu. This is because we are aware that there could be quality issues and longer wait times for larger parties, as if we could end up with over 14 different dishes ordered.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

We had two meals at night at the hotel. MY Husband was not feeling well the day after our last visit and seems to be food related as I was OK but we had different meals. He had the venison burger. Otherwise, normal pub food which was fine with some middle eastern meals as specials of the day which I found tasty. Service a bit hit and miss depending on what staff were working. Some very friendly, others not very welcoming.

LiftonHall, Owner at Lifton Hall Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

As always with negative reviews, of which we do not have very many thankfully, we would always advise guests to actually make these comments to the staff working that evening and especially in the case of a suspected food issue relating to illness.

I have no idea when you visited and therefore cannot relate this to which staff were working, but I find it hard to understand any of my staff being indifferent to customer needs. Of course there can always be exceptions.As a training point, I will show this review to all my staff, as well as my response.

And to the food: We were actually visited by Environmental Health less than two weeks ago. We achieved, as we have every time they have visited over the last 10 years, the highest possible mark (a five) for cleanliness and food safety. The inspector had so few issues to talk about, that she left within 15 minutes of arriving!

We pride ourselves on our food safety record and take it VERY seriously, as reputations can be easily lost. We always follow procedure. For example; we date label food and stock rotate, we have good refrigeration, that is serviced regularly, and we probe every high-risk item to ensure it is fully cooked. So, I am quite astounded by the casual way you shared across the internet that 'it could have been food related'.

Do you not realise the effect this could have on a business? We have a solid 10 year record of mostly excellent reviews, a new business could be destroyed by this.
You have no idea really whether it was our food that caused his feeling unwell, as there are so many reasons why it could have happened. The incubation period for different bacteria and onset of symptoms can vary quite dramatically - affected also by factors, such as the person's age and general health. If your husband's illness was actually caused by something he ate, it could easily have been something he ate at lunch. It could also be something as simple as picking up bacteria from a door handle in public toilet. Unfortunately, people generally accuse/think it was the last place they ate. As you didn't discuss this issue with us, we have no way of knowing what the cause of your husband's illness was.

I am sorry that your husband was unwell, as it is always unpleasant. I hope my reply goes some of the way to address the imbalance portrayed in your review.