1,004 results
All reviews leisure facilities croquet lawn tennis courts christmas lights devon court steam room time share one bedroom apartment massage chair outdoor pool putting green sea view bit dated self catering reception staff buffet style great facilities
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Having stayed at the Devoncourt on a previous trip to Exmouth I booked this property again via hotels.com. Unfortunately the day before travel I was diagnosed with shingles and tried to defer my booking for later in the month. The person on the front desk listened to what I had to say but would only refer me back to hotels.com who I duly contacted. They were extremely sympathetic and contacted Devoncourt on my behalf. The hotel refused to either move my booking to later in the month or refund me because I had received a special room rate which did not allow for a cancellation. I understand their position at face value but whatever happened to goodwill, sympathy or taking a long term view of customer value and reputation. Needless to say I will never again return there.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Trevor S
Andrew S, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

So, if I am right, you booked your stay because you enjoyed it last time? You decided to book through a 3rd party booking agent, not through the hotel? I can see the issue. When you book through the 3rd party it is correct that the contract is with, in this case, Hotels.com.
We have, we think, a fairly generous cancellation policy of 72 hours, that's three whole days where you can cancel before the booking without charge and we will refund any pre-payment. We also agree to hold your booking, regardless how busy we are and of any other enquiries, regardless if the booking is offering a higher price, and these other requests are turned away.
We, at the hotel, are quite lenient in our cancellation policy, particularly if there is plenty of accommodation available on that date as we would rather the goodwill and a return visit. If a cancellation comes in 'the day before' then the case is either that someone has a booking elsewhere or the case is a genuine and a real reason for a cancellation. Usually the customer contacts the hotel directly and we can only make a judgement from that call, with a conversation directly with the manager. There are many 'bogus' reasons for a cancellation and the Devoncourt has, in the past, ended up with losing money especially in the Winter months when turnover is key. I am not sure of the speed in which Shingles comes on and so I would say that, in this instance at the time, I would have referred you to your own travel insurance which I know I take out every holiday I go on. Not everyone takes out insurance, agreed, but many banks and building societies offer this as part of their service and it could be worth contacting them to see if it is available on this, or any other, booking you might make.
As customer loyalty is of paramount importance to us, it seems that in this instance, your cancellation is genuine and I would offer my sympathies as Shingles, I'm told, can be very unpleasant. Please contact myself directly where I can help to rearrange your break for another date at a convenient time suitable to both of us.
No-one holds customer loyalty greater than ourselvers, particularly a hotel in the South West of England in the Winter Months where turnover is vitally important to keeping us operating. Please accept my apologies for the upset and, if you contact me directly, I would gladly like to help make amends.

With sincerest apologies

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We stayed here for truly awesome stay.The grounds were lit with Christmas lights three wise men and various others.We tried the indoor pool,warm inviting and sauna,great on a windy da.this was just the ticket.Friendly staff with helpful hints.A nice breakfast too.Advice pay the little extra for a sea facing room.

Room Tip: The very best views from room 108
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew S, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Over the November and December periods the sea view rooms look over the whole of the gardens and they have the best views of the Christmas Lights which many have admired. Really glad you liked them.

Hopefully, we will see you again.

Regards

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Very enjoyable stay at the Devoncourt Resort. Good first impressions when we arrived with the staff very friendly and helpful especially Andrew on reception. We went for a walk while we waited for our room be to be made ready and Exmouth beach and town centre only a short stroll away. We both thought decor in restaurant and bar area was very nice and although we didn’t use the pool everyone who did seemed to have good things to say, we only eat the breakfast in the hotel which was good. The only negative point really was our room, the décor was very dated and the layout made up of a strange combination of bed, cooker/fridge and sofa bed all set out very close together, it was as if they couldn’t decide whether to call it a hotel room or an apartment so left it somewhere in between. Anyway aside form that we had a lovely stay and would recommend if you’re in the area

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew S, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Thank you Mike S and it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We do try and be friendly and helpful and, as you mention, the beach and town centre are only a short walk away. Glad you enjoyed the food too although you say you only really try the breakfast when you stay at a hotel. We are pleased about that as we also think our breakfasts are quite well cooked with a reasonable choice. We also have a restaurant called 'Brasserie16' which does some really good carveries and meals on 'Special Nights' such as Home-Made Pie Night and a Steak Night which, if you plan to pop back, are during the weeks dinner services.

You mention the layout and, by way of an explanation, the Devoncourt was (in it's recent past) a 'Timeshare Hotel' which meant that the rooms were designed around guests staying for a week at a time where they enjoyed rooms of a good size many with a 'kitchenette', which is an electric hob, ‘combi’ microwave and a fridge. Now we use the rooms to let, not just as ‘hotel type’ short stays but we can also offer a special ‘weekly rate’ and a ‘28 day rate’. These prove popular with people relocating to the area not having to commit to an expensive 6 monthly ‘Short Term Let’ or a weekly 'Holiday' type let. It seems to be appreciated by many as it provides a flexibility in renting our rooms and gives the hotel guest, such as yourself, an opportunity to store drinks to be kept cool (like a bottle or two of something special, or possibly, fizzy!?) and to have cold milk for the Teas and Coffees if one so desired.

Great that you enjoyed your stay and that nice chap Andrew (fine fellow) made you feel welcome.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 1 January 2018

We stayed for 3 nights in Room 209, but have never had such a bad view. There was no view at all, just a roof to see. No one at reception asked us if we want to upgrade from such a bad view room. If you ever book a room in this hotel, book see view, they have just lovely views.

Room Tip: Never stay in room 209, worst view you can ever have.
1  Thank woestyn
Andrew S, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Thank you for the review and I too would like to echo your thoughts of asking for the rooms with a view- we do sit just-back from the Sea Front and are slightly elevated so the views are lovely. You can see these from the Lounges which are open to all through the week and I hope you managed to come and see those whenever you wished, I know the smell of freshly brewed coffee always brings me there !

New Year was busy and I hope you managed to come and join us in the Lounge for the Entertainment and the welcoming in of 2018 - the balloon net was fun wasn't it?

Apologies for not being able to offer an optional upgrade, which we normally would, as we were full (absolutely full full!) which is great for the Resort and a pleasing testament to us for which we take a lot of pride.

Many thanks for visiting us and we hope to tempt you back again soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 December 2017

Live locally to the hotel, my Christmas party was in exmouth so rather than getting taxis to and fro my girlfriend and i stayed in the devon court. The receptionist are beyond friendly and welcoming, breakfast was great and we enjoyed a game on the snooker table.

I recommend to all!

Room Tip: Check out the massage chair in the gym!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew S, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

When coming to the Christmas seasons party's I think you did exactly the right thing and stayed over meaning you could then have a drink and relax with a good breakfast in the morning as well. It sounds like you had a great time and I hope you return to stay again and enjoy the Leisure facilities next time.

Many thanks