“Yummy salsa bar”

Taco Loco Bar & Grill
Ranked #8 of 42 Restaurants in Loudon
Reviewed 18 July 2018

We had a group of 12 and went fairly earlier. We seated right away. Ridiculously huge drinks! Everyone enjoyed their food which is pretty good for three families. Pineapple salsa was my favorite but also enjoyed the fresh onion and cilantro to add to my dish. Waiters were very friendly.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

There are several Mexican restaurants in Loudon County...at least 8 or 9. On this occasion, we joined our friends Norm and Linda to sample the menu at Taco Loco. The exterior of this restaurant is bright and serves as an advertisement in its own right. The dining area is colorful and bright but not garish.

Taco Loco has a full bar...sort of. However this fact gets to one of the disappointments we encountered at this restaurant. My wife wanted to order a Margarita and Linda wanted Sangria. Well…as it turns out, someone had somehow let the liquor license expire without renewing it! Disappointment reigned! No liquor or wine could be served despite a full bar in plain view. The ladies and yours truly opted for Coronas and Norm went for an iced tea.

Like almost every Mexican Restaurant, the waitress delivered tortilla chips and salsa. Norm ordered a bowl of Queso (cheese) sauce for dipping. ($7.99) Everyone liked it and the waitress refilled our basket of chips.

Note: The Queso Cheese Sauce wasn’t our first choice for an appetizer. Everyone was hankering for Guacamole! We were stunned to learn that the restaurant was out of guacamole… What?! How does a Mexican restaurant run out of this staple early on a Wednesday?

My wife and I decided to order some Nachos…tortilla chips with ground beef and melted cheese. We all agreed that they’d been generous with the ground beef and cheese and everyone seemed to like this appetizer. However we felt that it lacked any Mexican ‘flavor’. While we know that Mexican food isn’t necessarily spicy, some taco seasoning or similar spice would have given this dish a step up. Fortunately, my wife went to Taco Loco’s ‘sauce bar’ and she brought back some very tasty and a bit spicy “Loco” sauce. I used it liberally on the nachos!

Since I liked the Loco sauce so well and my better half had noted that the container on the sauce bar was almost empty, I asked the waitress if there was any more available. She told us that there wasn’t…a negative for sure. However, I went to the sauce bar and scrapped the container for what was left…

My wife's entrée was the Quesadilla Fajita…with chicken, peppers, onions and tomatoes served with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. ($9.99) She asked for more sour cream and then she was a happy camper. Her meal was very satisfactory…

Norm and Linda had dined before at Taco Loco so Norm was determined to try something a little different for his dinner. He ordered the Sope…a thick handmade corn tortilla covered with refried beans, lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, onions and sour cream. ($7.99) Other than the fact that this dish is also supposed to come with avocado, (remember the guacamole issue?), he thought that his choice was pretty good… Linda ordered the Shrimp Enchiladas. ($10.99) She did liked her dinner too.

One more issue… Instead of serving us all at once, the food was served one entrée at a time over about a 10 minute period. We went ahead and began eating while the food was hot but this situation is always a bit awkward for everyone.

My entrée was the Chimichanga Loco. ($10.99) The Chimichanga is stuffed with grilled chicken, steak, chorizo and shrimp. Then it’s topped with cheese sauce and sided with shredded lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo plus rice and refried beans. I used the "Loco” sauce on top of my Chimichanga.

I did enjoy my entrée. It would have normally been too bland for me but the loco sauce kicked it up a notch without adding too much heat or spice. I would describe my entrée as a “meat lovers” Chimichanga.

Our waitress was stressed and stretched. Service slid as the restaurant filled up. Norm asked her about being the only server and she told him that no one else showed up. “No one seem to want to work”. That ties into the tight labor market and perhaps the attitude of many folks today… In any case, it was a problem, unfortunately just one of several!

Reviewed 9 July 2018

I liked this place....it is independently owned, and the decor is not "Formula Mexican", nor is it bright and shiny......a funky lived in look, plus it is a bar.

We went for Sunday lunch, and were seated at a booth on the window.....their are booths on the walls, and tables in the middle.

Chips are good, salsa is chunky with tomato, and there is a salsa bar for added zing, plus cilantro and onion.

My wife had a carnitas burrito with rice, beans and salad. She said it was very good.

I had street taco.....asada, carnitas, pastor and chicken, plus a side of rice. Everthing was great, and I appreciated having a good quantity of onion, cilantro and salsa to put on them. I also had a couple of Pacifico beers.

I will go back.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We arrived in evening possibly near closing. Greeting and Service outstanding. Went over menu and salsa bar (very good) offering. We had the carnita dish and large chicken burrito covered with cheese sauce. Everything was fresh and delish. We will return for sure. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The food here is so good that you will be back. We ordered the Sampler Platter which was very good. There is enough food you could share this platter. The people here owners/waiters are absolutely the best.

Been to Taco Loco Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!