“Perfect cosy cottage!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Honeymoon Cottage

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Moorland View Cottage
The sandy beaches of the South Hams are a 50-minute drive away.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Kat1977
London
“Perfect cosy cottage!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
person found this review helpful

Highly recommend this beautiful cottage! Gorgeously decorated inside with so many perfect little surprises and details. The bath is wonderful and the beds are very comfy. The village pub is worth going to and Bovey Castle is worth a visit (free membership with cottage), lovely pool and grounds. We reccomend the gorge walk from Castle Drogo (map and details in cottage), very beautiful and 2 hours approx. we couldn't have wished for more out of our stay, truly relaxing! Worth knowing before you go-we couldn't get any mobile phone signal in the village. Thank you Suzy for a wonderful time!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
ProsConsU...
London, United Kingdom
“The cosiest, most romantic little gem in the SW”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 for a stay in February 2014

It's hard to know where to start here as there's so many different aspects of my stay that I enjoyed. Overall I'd say that it's the attention to detail that stood out to us.

The cottage is stunning! The design is elegant, quirky, comfortable and romantic all at the same time. You discover little treats throughout your stay...and I don't want to spoil it all by giving everything away bt details such as wellies being left for guests, marshmallows and squewers left by the fire and a free membership to Bovey Castle are just some of the thoughtful touches Suzy has in store for her guests. The linen, products on offer in the large bathroom and big fluffy dressing gowns all make you feel spoiled and well cared for. Even the instructions that we were sent beforehand gave us tons of ideas for how to make the most of our stay in the cottage & the local area...which brings me on to the surrounding countryside.

Sadly we were only able to stay the weekend at the cottage but next time we will definitely aim for a longer visit of four nights so we can properly unwind and make the most of our time. Walks,bike rides and a meal at the fantastic pub on the green are a must, as well as a cream tea at Bovey Castle. The countryside around the cottage is stunning and we wish we'd had time to do a few more walks! We didn't travel by car and didn't need one but next time we'd love to visit some of the recommendations on Suzy's list that were a little further afield. One little extravagancy we certainly couldn't have missed out on though was our lunch at Gidleigh Park! It's pricey but worth every penny as the food,service and setting is fabulous. Just make sure you book well in advance!

Moorland View is a unique cottage, in a unique location. You can curl up in front of the fire with a book and glass of wine, spend hours rambling through unspoilt countryside, indulge in fine dinning or high quality pub food or be pampered at the nearby Bovey Castle spa. It's not an escape you will forget...at least we won't. For me Suzy has got the balance of luxury and village authenticity just right. Thank you.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Fintylou
Leicestershire
“Cleanliness was a problem!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 for a stay in February 2014
people found this review helpful

We visited Moorland in February, sadly our experience there was marred by dirty bed linen, crumbs in the cutlery drawer, dirty work surfaces and terrible customer service. North Bovey is beautiful and I guess in its hey day the cottage was too. It is a little tired now and the lounge furniture has quite a few stains on it. We arrived to find hair all over the spare bed and when we rang the housekeeper we were told that this particular bed wasn't changed because they were only expecting two people. I then enquired where the microwave was that was stated in the itinerary sent to me. I was then contacted by Suzy (Owner) who told me not to contact the housekeeper again! We could not believe the way we were treated. We paid £800 for four nights and for this money we could have stayed at Bovey Castle or the nearby September Cottage for less money. The nearby pub (the only one in North Bovey) is wonderful and they too have rooms. There is much better value accommodation available locally and I would not pay £800 for four nights in this cottage again. The owner was extremely rude and dismissive of our concerns and this ruined our expensive break. The owner has a glossy website with a magazine recommendation, when you bear in mind that Suzy is a writer herself it is hard to comprehend that she would treat her customers in this way. Yes,
visit North Bovey but do look at a variety of places to stay before settling for Moorland View.

Management Response
15 Apr 2014
I am very grateful to Dawn for bringing she problem she experienced at the cottage to our attention.

We have immaculate standards of cleanliness, and have only ever received five-star reviews for it. Obviously on this occasion, unfortunately some items slipped through the net, and both my housekeeper and I are again extremely sorry to Dawn for the disappointment.

Linda (housekeeper) and I dealt with Dawn's complaint quickly and professionally. Linda came to the cottage straight away and swiftly rectified the issues. (To clarify: the sheets were freshly laundered, but somehow a few stray hairs had landed on them).

Dawn received several apologies from us both. I asked her to contact me in case of further problems so that I could deal with them personally.

The cottage is freshly painted and the furnishings are professionally cleaned regularly. Anything that is damaged is instantly replaced. The sofa has just been given a professional deep clean.

We have a wonderful variety of holiday accommodation in this gorgeous part of Dartmoor, each offering a unique experience. Moorland View gives people the chance to stay in a beautiful thatched cottage in a traditional Dartmoor village, whilst being able to use the pool, spa and other facilities of a luxury hotel.

If you are thinking about booking with us, please continue to read our other reviews - they all give us five stars!

We hope to welcome you to the cottage soon.

Suzy
BoobzMcGe...
London, United Kingdom
“WOW!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 for a stay in February 2014

I’m no writer, and I find it incredibly hard to express my thoughts and feelings in writing. So I shall leave an incredibly brief review. A one-word review if I may, and that is simply the following…… WOW! Yup. That’s it. WOW!! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW!
The cottage is simply amazing, and I have to admit I have cottage envy. If this were mine, I wouldn’t let any of you stay in it. In fact, I wouldn’t leave this place. Suzy has the most outstanding taste and nothing is overlooked or forgotten.
We’re definitely coming back.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Pretty much everything
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
LONDONNan...
London
“Blissful! It really is 'The Holiday' cottage film set!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

We are still raving to everyone about our stay- what a find! It is near impossible to find self-catered accomodation that has the luxuries of a hotel but still feels homely and cosy. We are super fussy Londoners but I can't fault a thing. Suzy went above and beyond with a Christmas tree, the foliage on the stairs, the wreath- it was gorgeous. Loved the local walks, had a yummy meal at the pub and read the papers in front of the fire. Great kitchen as well. Can't wait to book the same weekend next year!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Arriving and walking in to a bottle of wine and a lit up Christmas tree
Liked least: Leaving!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing