2,697 results
All reviews afternoon tea golf course falconry display service charge western restaurant sandwiches the hotel manager valet parking main restaurant sloe gin birthday treat beautiful grounds fudge public rooms his team member of staff special occasion
Reviewed 23 April 2016

I think you can see from all the reviews that this is a special Hotel, in a wonderful location geographically, set in glorious landscaped gardens and including a championship golf course.
This only tells part of the story however. The interior is all oak panels and comprises several magnificent drawing rooms, warmed by roaring log fires.
The Hotel can organise a plethora of outdoor activities in addition to golf, including 4x4 excursions, archery and falconry (do not miss the daily introduction to handling these splendid birds).
We had a Castle room, which was large and well appointed. It had been fairly recently updated and had a lovely bathroom with separate bath and excellent shower.
We ate in the Smiths brasserie every night of our stay, a lovely big modern restaurant which served good meals at competitive prices. We did actively seek out and check potential alternatives locally, but could not find anything approaching this quality at the price.
We didn't have an issue with the 12.5 per cent service charge in the restaurant, but we were surprised to find this added to our bar bill, particularly on top of the already inflated prices (£10 for a small glass of Prosecco).
We loved the local walks from the Hotel, and the free booklet of walks available from Reception, and there is plenty that is provided gratis, wellington boots, dog towels, use of the putting greens and the half hour falconry display. There is also a swimming pool and a serviceable gym, with good aerobic equipment and a small number of well maintained strength machines.
The staff were absolutely terrific, friendly, courteous and efficient, particularly in the restaurant and bar, and receptive to our concern about renovation noise, which although slightly annoying, did ensure we were up in plenty of time for breakfast.
All things considered, the Hotel and staff were excellent, and if we can get a similar deal, we would love to return.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
BoveyCastleHotel, General Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2016

Thank you - that is a great review , glad you enjoyed your stay and sorry about the builders noise ( they have now left the building !! )

Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

An amazing hotel...spotless..rooms spaceous and customer service of the entire venue was spot on. Views are insane and the whole building/scenary is beautiful. The food and drink however lets this place down...£20 for a breakfast that is tiny and didnt taste like any better quality than a typical cafe. Coffee...sinply just served filter coffee as standard and when i asked for a flat white i got yet another filter coffee. I mean for the price tag everything needs to be on par. The evening meals were also nothing special either. For this venue to get there 5 star red review i think the food/drink needs alot of work done. Even small things like a bowl of olives were simply olives in olive oil..has to be the most basic form that olives can be served and again with the price tag youd expect more.

It was however beautiful and everything else about the place was simply top drawer.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2016

I booked Bovey Castle as a surprise for my girlfriend at the end of a driving tour of Cornwall, Devon and Bath. As someone that works in travel and would count myself as being lucky enough to have traveled to some pretty cool places and hotels, Bovey Castle is right up there on my list as one of the most memorable places I have stayed. The Grandeur of Bovey Castle hits you as you drive the 5-10 mins through the grounds and pull up to the valet parking at reception where our car was whisked away and we were taken through to check-in. Knowing we would be a bit early I pre-booked Afternoon Tea to keep us tided over until our rooms were ready....my girlfriend has a wheat allergy so was a bit worried about what they would be able to substitute - I needn't have worried....it was delicious! They even made wheat free scones and I couldn't taste the difference they were that good! We checked into our room and for an entry level room it was the largest entry level room I have stayed in, it didn't have much of a view but we were only at the hotel for one night and we didn't pay for a view so all in all the room exceeded my expectations. If I were staying longer i would probably upgrade to a room with a view over the grounds. There are so many activities (Country Pursuits) to do at Bovey Castle you could spend a week trying them all, we opted for the Cider and Sloe Gin Making of course and had a great time in the barn learning about, making & trying Gin and Cider. We topped off a wonderful day with a meal in the Great Western Restaurant and decided to go for the tasting menu with wine pairings which again was adapted to be wheat free. The food, wine and service was exactly perfect - smart enough that it felt special but not so regimented that you couldn't have a laugh with the service team or sommelier. As you can probably gather we will definitely go back to experience more of Bovey Castle!!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamers0nj
BoveyCastleHotel, General Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Jamersonj - thank you for the great review - so glad you enjoyed tyour stay and the afternoon tea. As you describe the tasting menu with the wine pairings is fantastic and is now becoming more and more popular.
Please do return soon as our new Pastry Chef has done amazing things with the afternoon tea !

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Had a short but very enjoyable stay
very nice evening meal
breakfast in our room was a great as we where short on time
unfortunately did not have chance to enjoy pool and sauna
luxury hotel but not stuffy
very friendly staff.

Room Tip: had a great view over golf course
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Thank you Normanhoney , sorry you didn't have enough time to really get the full ' Bovey Experience ' so do return soon .

Reviewed 18 April 2016

My Mistress, Master and I recently had 4 nights at Bovey Castle.We all had very mixed feelings-especially me! From a doodle perspective at first sight it would seem to be perfect but its not especially dog friendly.I was allowed in one public room-the only one without a fire as there were "chimney issues"-and it was a cold few days.In the past I was able to stay in the main bar-not this time.I am also not allowed on the Golf Course even on a lead which was very perplexing as dogs were being walked on the course anyway and it was very quiet.Our first room was disastrous-it was a windy night and the room next door being re-furbished had a window banging ALL NIGHT! Master called down at 4 am to be informed that nothing could be done and there may be alternative rooms but the night manager was not really sure...so we had a sleepless night.Master took this up on departure and was surprised to see that the full rate had been charged,After some discussion £100 was taken off the bill which was pretty poor, but we needed to leave...and honestly had had enough.There were some nice dinners-I know as I had a few tasty snacks-but apparently there was one totally disastrous dinner service caused by lack of staff.It took around 90 mins to get to our main course and the quality that night was poor.The very helpful Maitre'D did his best but was also very unhappy with what was leaving the kitchen!We all want to like Bovey Castle-its a great location and fine building- and over the years have given it every chance and spent a lot of money there...but honestly there always seem to be issues whenever we stay.For the prices that are charged-its not cheap by any stretch- the service and quality needs to be a lot more consistent with staff that speak better English.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family

Dear Doodle I am sorry that you had mixed feelings ( along with your Master & Mistress ) - clearly we try to please all our guests and with the majority not being so lucky to have such an intelligent dog we do then have to have ' pooch free zones ' whilst keeping the largest of our lounges for owners of lovely dogs ( we easy access to the wide outdoors.
We do have a lot of walks for you with pathways alongside the golf course but some less intelligent canines do wander on to the course ( along with less thoughtful owners I must add )
Please pass on my apologies to your Master & Mistress for the disturbed night and I am sorry the night porter was not more helpful at the time - this has now been corrected. Clearly whilst you were staying one of the evening was exceptionally busy in Smith's Brasserie and I am sorry for the delay on that occasion.
Please do let your friends know that we do try to cater for most dog needs , beds , treats , bowls , treats , cages , treats as well as dog towels and treats !
General Manager & Dog Lover