“Anniversary Gift - What a superb gift it was! ”

Old Government House Brasserie
Ranked #15 of 131 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Price range: USD 28 - USD 37
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We were given a voucher for "afternoon tea" and wow what a delight. We sat outside in the Olive terrace next to the fountain. Choice of loads of different teas - (the genuine leaves with the tea strainer) and how nicer the tea tasted. We each had 4 different sandwiches (all delicious) a fruit scone and a plain scone with butter,jam,cream and a real strawberry; then to top it off cakes too many to number all so delightful to look at and even better the taste. 1st class quality and attention to detail with beautiful surroundings. A real must!

There are newer reviews for Old Government House Brasserie

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Whilst staying at the hotel, I enjoyed two lovely evening dinners, as well as a light lunch. This review is concerned mainly with the second dinner, which was enjoyed with two friends who are Guernsey residents. We enjoyed drinks in the Crown Club, and after something of a delay, we ordered our food. This was served cheerfully and promptly, and all three of us thoroughly enjoyed both main courses and desserts. The previous evening (when I was dining alone) I had probably the best fillet steak I have ever eaten, followed by a delicious honeycomb ice cream and a superb hot chocolate. As with the hotel, the staff are great and take great pride in delivering top-notch service. The service is efficient but certainly not stuffy, which is so often the case in some restaurants. I'm coming back soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Some of the tables are not very well placed but we were prepared to wait a few minutes (at a very noisy bar) . Once seated we enjoyed good food and service.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Had dinner here. Huge selection if interesting gin in very nice bar for pre dinner drinks at very fair price of £7.00 for a G&T.
Dining room has a good feel, being mainly finished in a soft green. Some tables in large bay window with good views. Did not get offered one of these though.
Fairly small menu with emphasis on sea food. Crab salad starter was very good.
Only negative was a glitch in service in that menus brought to the bar but then staff forgot all about us and so we had to move to the dining room and order from there.
Wine a little expensive, I think £45 for an average 2016 Sancerre.
Wine

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a night after receiving a wedding gift from family, which covered some of the cost.
We stayed in one of the lower standard rooms and this cost £267 B&B. (I thought this was quite expensive for a Channel Island 5* hotel)
The room was nice, the room and bathroom were small, but adequate and the style was old and dated but obviously matched the hotel image and style. Our room overlooked the pool and terrace and offered a view of the sea and St Peter Port town rooftops between us and the harbour and we could see Castle Cornet clearly. As a negative - it also allowed us to see directly down Smith street and be subjected to noise and shouting up until just after midnight, due to the Prince of Wales PH outdoor area being located at the top of the street less than a couple of hundred meters away.
As we were only staying overnight and were unable to get to the hotel until 5 pm, we didn't use the spa or gym. We had planned to use it the following morning, but as there is only an outdoor pool and it was raining heavily the following morning, we chose not to.
The Brasserie. The Food was excellent, although I would have liked more desert choices.
I had a scallop starter (- very small scallops) but very tasty.
The Wife had McCarthy salad, which was very tasty.
We both chose ribeye steak as a main course, I had been tempted by their specials which were fish and sounded lovely, but after having the very small scallops I chose steak.
I had the chocolate and peanut butter dessert with popcorn ice cream and my wife had a lime parfait with coconut yoghurt and pineapple.
Both were very tasty.
The quality of the food (even the petit scallops) was exceptional. The cherry tomatoes were sweet and tasty and the beef was very tasty.
Service in the brasserie was very good and staff had been made aware that it was our anniversary and were very pleasant.
Upon our arrival the reception staff were very friendly and we were given a free drink and also
A complimentary sweet in our room with 'Happy Anniversary' piped on the dish, which was a nice surprise.
The hotel interior is lovely and due to the buildings previous use it has a very grand feel to it and if we had stayed for longer we would have explored a bit more.
I would stay again and would definitely recommend the OGH for quality of service and food quality. Although a bigger room for £70 less, an indoor or covered pool and maybe a room away from the nearby pub beer garden would have been better.
If you book directly with the hotel, you also get £50 towards your evening meal.