“Best Pub Ever ”

Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in St Martins
Price range: USD 11 - USD 42
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Captains is best described as an Inn with rooms, all 9 en suite bedrooms have been recently re-carpeted and are equipped with tv, tea and coffee facilities and complimentary toiletries. The bar attracts locals and visitors alike and you are guaranteed lively banter around the bar area. Whilst the bistro and bar area serves traditional bar meals, the Captains has gained a reputation in recent years for their Seafood dishes and the freshest of local fish. Reservations are not always necessary but to avoid disappointment it is suggested at the weekends and the busy summer months.
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Before the recent renovations upstairs, this historic pub was fantastic. Now it's even better. Definitely the best local on Guernsey.

A must see. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

It is not a fancy restaurant with sophisticated food and presentation. However here you get plain English pub food of decent quality. Maybe somewhat overpriced as all restaurants in Guernsey. This accomodation compensates it with very, very, very large portions.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Came here for a meal at the weekend with my partner as had a lunch here previously and it was really good, but I was very disappointed. I ordered a burger and when I came it did look good around £11 for a burger which is average in Guernsey for a beef burger. Absolutely disappointed as it was tinned burgers!! I did ask if it was tinned and was told yes, now I know its pub/hotel food, but you have places like the les douvres up the road which is a hotel and its not tinned burgers, so therefore it had to be sent back as they taste disgusting. And then dessert i found a hair. Overall this was a disappointing experience for us, and we waited a long period of time to be served. It was busy and there was not alot of staff on either. The portions are good and there is enough food but on this occasion it was rather disappointing

2  Thank Gemzie88
AlisonDelamare, Owner at The Captains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

As the owner and one of the chefs at the Captains, and the one that was cooking the evening you were in, I would like to make absolutely crystal clear that we do not serve 'tinned' burgers, wasn't actually aware that anything like that existed. Obviously we are disappointed that you did not have a good experience. I did ask my staff to offer you something else as you did not want the burger, clearly there has been a lack of communication and for that I do apologise.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Came here with family for a meal and We found a lovely old style pub with artifacts all over the place.The food was easily the best We had on the island and the biggest portions!Try the gammon and You'll understand!Enjoy the visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Went here for Sunday lunch Staff very friendly .We had the larger mixed meat roast huge portions so much could not face dessert fantastic value for money highly recommended