USD 123
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 139/night.

USD 141
USD 95
USD 118
USD 101
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
1,633 results
All reviewsjacks barturners restaurantbeautiful groundsbutterfly gardenold houseseparate buildingafternoon teasnug barboarding schoolfour poster bedbeautiful hotelfamily weddingrestaurant managerduty managerwedding receptionboth nightswaiting staff
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My friend won a competition for afternoon tea for two and decided to go there on Easter Sunday and treat her daughter who was starting off her 30th birthday month (it been April 1st). They were going to launch her celebrations with a touch of class. I checked it on d website and thought it looked lovely so decided to join them and treat my sister (instead of the usual Easter egg) at the same time. Was I disappointed. The sambos were two slices of bread cut in half with the crusts removed. No sign of the dainty sambos that one associates with afternoon tea. My sister said afterwards “sure Mam made daintier sandwiches for us as kids for no special occasions”. I will admit she didn’t put smoked salmon in them. The scones were wrapped in a hot serviette which was a lovely touch but the scones were average enough although we did get cream and jam. The cakes that followed were mediocre which we didn’t finish although the birthday girl did take them home. I missed the waiter putting the serviettes on our laps just for the ceremonial aspect of it but the thing that really got me and didn’t think at the time it was something to complain about was the cups and saucers. Out of the four of us only one of us got a cup plate and saucer that matched. The rest of us got a mix of red and white cups with blue and white saucers etc. The waiter took some photos of us and I compared the pics with some I found on line of KILASHEE afternoon tea and there was a vast difference to what we got and the pictures on line. I also noticed they had different cups and saucers which matched each other. Overall we were all disappointed with our experience and I thought the €55 I spent was definitely not worth it.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We booked this hotel because we were very impressed by a wedding reception that we attended a few years ago. On arrival there was one member of staff on reception and a queue of about six guests. Apparently there was a problem with the computer system. Not to worry - these things happen. Check-in completed we then entered the maze - up in the lift - arrive at Gallery level - walk along a corridor (thinking that your room is nearby) - arrive at another lift - go down a level - walk along another corridor - go through double doors - notice considerable drop in temperature (cold radiators) - arrive at room at last - freezing - call reception - pleasant young man arrives with small heater which he assures us will heat the large space - while room heats up go to Bistro (the word conjures up images of Parisienne chic) - reality check, school dining room with superior flooring and better food - return to room - small heater has also refused to function - request room change- young lady guides us (thankfully!) to new room - a downgrade but warm. Worst part of experience - insufficient woolly sweaters to combat climate change. Best part of experience - being asked for directions by other guests lost in the labyrinth. An architect, an interior designer and a heating engineer could solve all these problems.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Just back from two lovely nights in the Killashee with my husband and two young daughters! I booked the hotel back in Feb for an Easter break and we were not disappointed! The rooms are spotless, beds and pillows more comfortable than many hotels we have stayed in at home or abroad! The hotel seems to have mastered all the comforts needed for a family break, such as plenty for the kids to do but it doesn’t lose the comfort needed for adults, especially the service....from reception to all of the waiting staff they just couldn’t do enough for you. Special mention to the breakfast buffet, there was no shortage of staff, the buffet was constantly being topped up and it was run so well - can honestly say it was one of the best managed breakfast buffet we have seen either at home or abroad and that was despite it being so busy all over the weekend, we were really impressed and full!! The bistro was really really busy on our second night but we retreated to our room to watch a movie and ordered room service (bliss!) which was delivered in no time and just a €5 tray charge - even though there was 2 trays, we were just charged for one! We will definitely be coming back to the Killashee again, we loved it and special thanks to Ciara on reception who couldn’t have done enough for us!! Also, the 10% discount for Kildare village saved us a fortune....thank you

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Had a wonderful family stay. Catered for all ages. Welcoming staff, beautiful grounds, a wide range of facilities to ensure a perfect stay and had lovely meals. Very quaint layout and full of character if guests take the time to explore.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My review of the hotel is based on my experience as part of a party of six mature ladies who booked a DBB package for Friday 16th February.   I had single occupancy of a superior room which I booked for an additional night as I was arriving a day earlier .

We had issues with the original booking as a party member booked by phoning the hotel direct and was informed that there were no twin rooms available and that the package deal was €20 extra than was advertised for single occupancy (€175). She was offered superior double rooms for two people for a reduced rate of €220 per room. We were keen to stay as we had stayed in 2014 and felt the fine-dining package was excellent  and the hotel itself was lovely.

I later went onto the hotel website and found that there WAS availability for twin rooms and that single occupancy was also available at €155. I contacted reception and was told I would have to book on line to avail of that specific offer. When we made the original booking we were not informed that the hotel website might be able to facilitate our requests. I cancelled the initial booking and re booked using the hotel site which catered for our needs. I also  later booked an additional night B&B for one of the single occupancy rooms at a specific rate (€100) which was confirmed by email.
On check in I gave my card for pre-authorization and when I went to sign in I found I was being charged €130 when I had been quoted €100 for B&B. On querying it I was asked to forward the email and when the receptionist give me the email address I pointed out that the confirmation email had been sent from there. The young lady conferred with a colleague and I was then given the original rate quoted. I requested at this time that the two nights I was booked in for be included and was advised that the Friday night was being charged at €155 which was the appropriate rate. Thus my final account would be €255 excluding any extras.

I paid my account on departure using my Visa credit card but the following day I noted that 2 charges from Kilashee were pending on my account, both for €255. I contacted the hotel and after much explanation the lady I spoke to told me that there were two ID numbers ( possibly due to the 2 night stay being booked singly) and that a preauthorisation was made on check in whilst on checkout my card went through as a sale. I was assured that there would now be only one debit from my account. As far as I am concerned regardless of whether I WAS debited or not there should not have been two charges pending.

I dined in the Bistro on the Thursday and the service was excellent and the food well presented and tasty, although personally I would compare it to Pub grub at an elevated price.

The remaining five members of the party arrived on the Friday and left their luggage at reception as there were long queues for check-in as a wedding party had arrived.  The seating area in the foyer was noisy and crowded so we went into the Bistro as there was no other area to our knowledge available for us to relax and have a drink - the conservatory was reserved for the wedding party, the Gallary bar was not staffed and we were not made aware of the Snug bar which we were later told is not always staffed. We ordered tea and sandwiches and were disappointed with the fact that the tea arrived 10-15 minutes before the sandwiches. Two lovely young waiters did however give a melodious rendition of Happy Birthday when they brought out a cake which I had given to the staff earlier for the occasion.

The hotel was booked because of its fine dining reputation in Turners. Alas on this occasion it was far from fine dining as whilst starters and desserts were lovely, the main course was served luke-warm. The service was extremely slow which is fine if food is cooked to order and served piping hot. Four of the party chose steak due to the limitations of menu choice- there was no poultry or lamb option as the menu choice was fish x 2, pork, a vegetarian option or fillet steak with a €10 supplement! There was also a €4 supplement for chips which we felt extortionate as chips are very frequently an accompaniment to steak .A late request for a portion of chips never arrived.

A drinks order could not be filled to the guests requests as there was no Smirnoff vodka, Gordons Gin or Coors lager. This would be fair were it not for the fact that the wine and drinks list did include Gordons gin when checked. In fairness to the restaurant manager on the night he apologized profusely and we were not charged the steak supplement and were offered a complimentary glass of Prosecco.  However I would argue that the limitations of the menu were such that it was inevitable that many people would opt for the steak, thus adding an automatic supplement to the package. Also there was no mention of supplements when booking. A more appropriate gesture of apology might have been a drink of choice as only two members of the party of six had ordered wine with the meal.

We were not offered nor did we ask for the Kildare Village voucher that was part of our package as we were not intending to visit it.

The superior rooms in the Belling Wing are lovely and comfortable and the bathrooms are clean and well decorated. The twin deluxe rooms in another wing were also clean although the bathrooms were much smaller. A request from one of the twin rooms for tea cups never materialized. At least two of the four rooms booked had no hotel information booklet except the spa booklet and a menu.

I personally availed of the facilities in the Hydrotherapy Suite and the Suite itself is very relaxing and the staff very professional, informative and helpful. However it’s a pity the €10 charge to hotel guests for using same does not give you access to the relaxation suite.

The grounds are peaceful with hidden gems like the Nuns Cemetery, a children’s playground  and the Butterfly Garden. It would be nice if guests were informed of this on check-in although it may be mentioned in a rooms brochure if there is one – as mentioned there was none in my room.

A huge downfall is the lack of quiet comfortable seating areas where one can enjoy a quiet drink in nice surroundings as by no stretch of the imagination could the Bistro be called a relaxing lounge/bar area. It is to all intents a large dining area with an ornate bar and no easy seating. Also, to be informed that the Gallery Bar and the Snug are not staffed constantly due to lack of demand is unacceptable for a four star establishment especially when some of the more relaxing areas such as the conservatory are not made available to guests when there is a wedding. Whilst as a group we appreciate the complexities of staffing we were taken aback to hear that staffing issues were the reason certain areas were not 'open' during our stay as we were paying guests and our expectations would be that all hotel facilities would be available to us unless it was noted at the time of booking.

The highlight of our stay was to be the gourmet dining experience  Whilst subjective, the lack of menu choice which lead to four guests choosing steak, which had a supplement, is hardly fine dining. The fact that every member of the party had issues with the temperature of the main course is unacceptable. The meal was a huge disappointment as was the lack of a comfortable SERVICED lounge area  following the meal! Overall the stay was far from a 4* experience and most three star hotels would have a lounge area with low seating.
The following advice might be helpful to prospective guests:

Do not book direct with hotel as their information re: availability can be inaccurate and misleading – use their official website to book on-line and you may find better availability as we did.

Check your charges and ensure you have your email confirmations in case of discrepencies in price quoted and price being charged as you may be asked for a copy as I was.

Check your bank account on departure.

If there is a wedding be prepared for areas of the hotel not to be available to you as a guest – eg the conservatory -  it was not available for use on one of the evenings I stayed.

The Bistro area which doubles up as Bar/Lounge has no easy seating and can be very busy as it is serves as the alternative dining area to Turners which is more formal . Not conducive to an intimate chat and seating is at dining tables, on dining chairs, in an open plan format.

Be prepared for alternative lounge/bar areas NOT to be staffed –eg  GalleryLounge and the Snug.

The Snug is quite a distance from the main foyer and dining areas and is not staffed consistently and reception may not inform you of its existence!

If you book a dining package be prepared for supplements including one for potatos/chips (€4).  As a party of six we found the menu limiting - no poultry or lamb dishes so choice was between pork, fish x 2, vegetarian or steak-  which had a supplement of €10. No choice offered in what potato accompaniment we had with the steak or any other dish.

Superior Rooms are very comfortable and ensuites are lovely with excellent showers and separate bath. The Belling Wing was very quiet and conducive to a good nights sleep. Due to the architecture of the building there are long walks to the bedroom wings. Very limited hotel information in the bedrooms we  occupied apart from Spa Brochure and Bistro Menu

The Hydrotherapy Suite is very relaxing but I was informed there is no access to the relaxation suite unless you are having a spa treatment which is a pity as it would really enhance the Hydrotherapy Suite Experience.

There are hidden gems in the gardens like the children’s playground, the Butterfly Garden and the ‘Nun’s Cemetery’- Do take a walk .....

The breakfast choice is good and the cooked to order breakfasts are excellent. The hot buffet breakfast is not so hot - hot as in temperature - but it is tasty. Be prepared to queue for breakfast table if not down early and hotel is busy.

Every one we came in contact with on a personal level was pleasant and helpful.  Our booking experience was a fiasco and  we found the hotel lacking in relation to relaxing lounge areas . We booked it to celebrate a special occasion with fine dining and relaxation in comfortable surroundings our criteria - the hotel failed us on both accounts!'

Please note that following contact with the hotel, management has offered us complimentary afternoon tea, free access to the the hydrotherapy suite ( I was the only member of the party tof six to use the hydrotherapy suite) and a reduced rate on b&b in a twin room (€120-00 per night)
I myself stayed in a single occupancy superior room which was lovely and comfortable but I do not think we will return unless we decide to drop in for the complimentary afternoon tea en route to another establishment!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends