“Terrible Hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inishmore
Mainistir House Hostel
Detroit, Michigan
“Terrible Hostel”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

To the person who said the private rooms were great, you may be the owner writing a lie. Our private room was NOTHING like any photos on the website. They were dirty, the staff (the man that was there most of the time) was SO horrible. He was rude, acted like any question you asked was a waste of his time. There was even an article of praise about his food on the wall yet the article itself said how mean he is but that the food is worth it. And oh my gosh he (the worker, I forget his name now, but he is the one who cooks all the food) was SO loud all night long, he would keep the tv on really loud and I could hear it through my walls, he also was SINGING in the middle of the night at 3 am.

I really wished I would have just stayed at the hostel off the pier. I truly believed this place would be gorgeous because of the photos and the food menu. I didn't even eat his food, i went to ti jo watty's because frankly, they were more friendly. I absolutely hated this place, i even peeked into one of the other rooms and their room looked like junk too.

Not worth going to. Filthy and not the pretty beds with draped fabric on them. They were just gross rooms with crappy beds and linens (Oh and nevermind the fact that my friend's bed was broken and there were missing wood beams under his mattress).. He was miserable sleeping at night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Inkedchik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This place is the worst place I have ever stayed at in my life. Seriously. The website is complete fabrication. It is a dirty, run down place with rude staff. All but one of the showers near our room were out of order. The toilets were filthy. How hard is it to clean a place right?

Awards from Georgina Campbells outside - the last one was 2007 - the place has not been cleaned or tidied up since Ms Campbell left! Steer clear!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Murp71

Travellers are raving about these Inishmore hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Mainistir house locates approx. 2-3km from the port, about 20min walk. Location is relatively ok, a pub with food and the shop are quite near.

Place seems to have had several prices/mentions in travelling guides between 2002-2007, but it also looks that little has been done after 2007. Everything is heavily worn or broken.

I stayed in a single room with shared toilet and bathroom. I assumed that with the price of 45€ a night you would get ensuite, but that was not the case.

My room (no. 5) had a great view to sea, Ikea furniture from approx 2005, armchair with dirty textiles, two suspicious looking bath gowns, broken safe box in the corner, hairdryer, water kettle and two tea cups. Window curtains were broken. Plastic carpet was broken in many places. As a positive detail, house's public Wi-fi had ok signal in my room. Room was also cold during the night (in August).

Public showers were ok, I had enough warm water every time I took shower and did not need to queue, although there were approx. 4 showers and 4-6 toilets for 20 private rooms.

Breakfast was light continental with tea, coffee, cereals, toast and scones, butter, marmelade and juice.

To conclude: the place is kind of cosy and you'll survive accommodating there, but has seen its best days and would need better maintenance. With the selection of B&Bs available on the island, I'm sure you'll find better with the same price. The problem is that not many of them have presence in the Web, as Mainistir House has.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank kaimaani
Donegal
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Location: 15-20mins walk uphill from the village.

Appearance: Looks shabby from the outside. Could do with paint.

Greeting: No 'welcome' No 'enjoy your stay' from the grumpy owner. It costs nothing to be pleasant.

Bedroom: 10ft x 10th, bit on the small side, however the bedroom was clean, the bed sheets smelt fresh which was a relief!! We had a bedroom facing the ocean. Great view!!

Showers/toilets: We stayed on the 1st floor. One shower was out of order, however the sanitary facilities were generally clean. Plenty hot water & pressure.

Communal Kitchen: Don't go into it as you will loose your appetite

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank PedroMacG
Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed here with a group of friends. We were cycling around the island and really only needed a bed and a place to hang our hats. We are not fussy normally when it comes to accomodation, and we did not plan to stay too long in our rooms! We booked 3 double rooms.

My needs are simple - I like a warm bed, a hot shower, and for the place to be clean.... None of those needs were met. The rooms were freezing, and the shared bathroom was dirty., the toilet in particular was disgusting. My friend went for a shower, but there was no hot water at all. When this was raised to the man at the reception desk, he told her that the child of another guest had left a hot tap running, and that people should keep more control of their children. No apology was forthcoming.

To charge 50 euro a room is excessive, and their website is, frankly, an elaborate work of fiction.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family