“Don't judge the book by the cover!”
Review of Villa Rose Hotel

Villa Rose Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed 5 March 2012

As you drive down Ballybofey and see the Villa Rose, it looks like a small hotel in the middle of a terrace. My husband had booked it and my first reaction was "Oh". There is an entrace to a carpark just beyond the butchers that is next door to them - really really narrow entrance - be able to judge size of your car!! And then you see the size and splendour of the Villa Rose. The entrance to reception is actually back here.
It's a truly lovely hotel - fantasic lobby. Reception was friendly and easy. Room was lovely.
We went across road for a drink - separately - and I went back out through car park. But you can actually exit through front of hotel, by crossing the glass bridge. Assume it links original hotel to new part.
We had a drink in hotel bar later - the one near reception - lovely and friendly. We had dinner booked in the restaurant. I have to say I found the crossing back and forth a little confusing - it's almost like the hotel is back-to-front. Had drink in bar next to restaurant as we waited.
Dinner was wonderful. Very busy restaurant. We had taken menus to bar with us and were ready to order, which we did with a bottle of wine. Really nice wines on the "house wine" list - whole list is good. Our wine arrived and we sipped at it as we watched meal after meal coming out. After 25 minutes we asked someone where our starters were. They arrived soon afterwards with an apology. When we had eaten (chicken nachos - yummy), waitress came over to tell us there were 2 people ahead of us in queue for mains. And then suddenly there were our mains as the chef had bumped them up - embarrassing!! Mains were just as lovely. Even though we were full we ordered dessert - equally lovely. Overall a very nice dinner, excellent service and good value. Yes we did have a delay with our starter, but it was sorted quickly once we mentioned it.
Onto breakfast. It was fine, but a little cramped. Small buffet table with cereal and fruit and juice. Hot buffet was manned by a waitress and it was tiny, so a queue formed and as the restaurant is small enough, that made the whole thing cramped. Fried eggs on buffet, but scrambled have to be ordered. I didn't bother and just didn't have an egg - but I saw others and the scambled egg did look good. Similar to previous night, service very good. Girl on the buffet was under serious pressure though!
If I was back up there again, we'd stay here again

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CorkCouple

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed in the villa Rose bAck in November and only getting to write a review now ! Had a fantastic experience . The staff on reception are fantastic booked our package so efficiently and nothing was a problem for them . Very pleasant staff all round in the hotel . My friends and I went on the spa package the spa was lovely really nice and relaxing . Had food in the restaurant that night was really tasty and prompt service . Bar was good crack too ! All in all a wonderful experience will be back soon !

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 18 February 2012

i work around the country for buiness and requested a stay in ballybofey so my corporate compay booked the Villa Rose hotel for me to stay at. i parked on the main street but this is not where you park for the night as there is a free car park at the back of the hotel where the main entrace of the hotel is, its a little bit hard to find in the dark, but that said i had a fine stay here, i was a bit late checking in so went to the bar for food and was pleasently suprised when the food arrived, there was too much to finish as i had ordered extra chips with a garlic dip too, heaven, the room was nice and comfortable and had a nice wooden floor. not to forget the bar staff, i did not get his name but the young man in the bar was great and made sure to serve with a smile and had an excelent manor too. will defo stay here again if i'm in the area. 9 out of 10 from me.

Room Tip: very nice food, large portions
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kcimtoni
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend as part of a 'hen weekend' and everyone had a fabulous time. The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. Four of us shared a family room and there was plenty of room for four adults to get ready for a night out without us triping over each other. The staff were very accommodating and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Robes and slippers were delivered to our room from the Spa and the treatments we received were amazing. It was definitely one of the best full body massages I have every received and I'm informed that the facial was also wonderful. The food in the restaurant and the bar was delicious, the portions were huge, and the service was excellent.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanne M
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights visiting family and on their local knowledge and recommendation. We were very pleased to stay here once we found our way around the back to the car park. The foyer is beautiful and the staff very courteous. Our room was a double, was spotless and the bed comfortable. We stayed in the bar both nights to meet the extended family and jt was just lovely. The great selection for breakfast was lovely as was the spa and massage we booked! I would certainly stay again and could fault the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 1John1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
0.2 km away
22.1 km away
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
16.6 km away
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Villa Rose Hotel? Share your experiences!