Apoyo Lodge(La Laguna de Apoyo)(Great Value!)
USD 58
USD 56
Posada Ecologica la Abuela(La Laguna de Apoyo)
USD 70
  • Restaurant
Hotel Yayabo(Masaya)
USD 29
USD 25
Casa Marimba(La Laguna de Apoyo)(Great Value!)
USD 68
Madera's Inn(Masaya)
USD 8
San Simian Eco Lodge(La Laguna de Apoyo)
TripAdvisor
Paradiso Hostel(La Laguna de Apoyo)
Laguna Beach Club(La Laguna de Apoyo)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Selva Azul(La Laguna de Apoyo)
  • Breakfast included
Apoyo Resort(La Laguna de Apoyo)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslearn spanishlocal communitytwo weekshome stayhost familyafternoon activitiesall agessan juanlearning experiencehorseback ridingcentral americavery special placeother guestsnicaraguan historyyear old daughterfour hoursinteresting people
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Over spring break 2018, 8 students and two faculty stayed for 9 days at El Piscacho Study Centre. The students engaged in service projects every morning, we all (faculty included) took 2 hours of Spanish lessons each afternoon. After our long days, we enjoyed excellent home-cooked (and -grown!) meals on the El Piscacho campus, followed by an hour or so of guided reflective conversation on themes such as service vs volunteering, geography of Masaya, ecology of the region, educational practices, to name a few of our topics. As an educator with 35 years of experience, I can honestly say that these 9 days have been some of the most rewarding and enriching of my career!
The Harper College group wishes to thank Paulette and her team from the bottom of our hearts for the wonderful and impactful experiences we had with you and the Mariposa communities! From the minute we stepped off the plane to when we had to leave on Easter morning, we were well-looked after and guided through our experiences with care. Now that we are home and back in class, we are truly sad to be away from La Concha!
Please give our warmest regards to the entire La Mariposa’s team! Chester, Ismael, Josimar, and Hassel were absolutely delightful and made sure that we wanted for nothing and oversaw our arrangements with efficiency and precision. The staff at El Piscacho, Melba, Jehira, and Elissabet, are brilliant! Every day they were very patient with our crazy schedules and attempts to be helpful. Our teachers were also amazing: Eleazir, Iris, and Johanna, were wonderful. They pushed our Spanish skills to their limit and beyond! And, of course, Oscar the Irrepressible and Javier the Calm were steadying presences in our daily lives, while Pedro the Quiet kept us (and the horses) in line!
So, thank you and hasta luego! I promise Harper College will be back in some configuration or another!

Room Tip: If you are a school group, consider El Piscacho Study Centre! It is a fully enclosed and safe "campus".
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Two years ago, I visited La Mariposa for five weeks; I stayed with local families, volunteered (taught English), took Spanish (of course), and did some of the afternoon and weekend La Mariposa activities. My wife was able to come for one week.
This February (2018), I visited for three weeks; I stayed in an eco-room (at the hotel), volunteered (worked on a school-building project), took Spanish, and was again able to to do some of the afternoon and weekend activities. My wife (and her two sisters) was again able to come for one week.
My wife and I are on the two year La Mariposa plan - we'll very likely be back again in 2020. Here's why we keep coming back: the one-on-one Spanish classes are very effective - my conversational Spanish has improved a lot; the accommodations (whether in home stay or at La Mariposa) are comfortable but basic . . . which is how we like to travel; the food is healthy, tasty, and portions are sensibly sized; you make genuine and (in some cases) lasting relationships with other travelers and also with local folks; the afternoon activities are both fun and interesting - you learn a lot about Nicaragua; and finally, we've been able to do meaningful volunteer work . . . that is, you feel like you're contributing to a greater good (La Mariposa sponsors many worthwhile projects in the local community).
We like La Mariposa so much, we've looked for other organizations that offer similar experiences in other locations, but we can't find anything that comes close. La Mariposa offers a unique experience!

Room Tip: Read the La Mariposa website carefully when selecting a place to stay. There are three main options.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2018

La Mariposa is an amazing home from home, with a caring and highly skilled staff, a menagerie of wonderful animals, comfortable rooms, great learning spaces, excellent fresh and delicious meals and a genuine wish to help visitors make the most out of their stay. In addition to very well structured language classes and opportunities for conversation practice, La Mariposa provided a great range of excursions, interesting talks about Nicaragua's history, dance classes, and involvement in local environmental and animal welfare initiatives. It would be very hard indeed not to come here and make many friends and enjoy a wonderful stay. I improved my Spanish, I made great friends and I had a lot of fun. Thank you La Mariposa team!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2018

So ... La Mariposa Spanish School now has a second location in Granada Nicaragua.
There is no hotel attached to the school, but they are offering homestays.
I have been taking classes at the new location for the past two weeks and the instructors are awesome. The facility is very nice as well. The school is adjacent to Iglesia de Xalteva
(Xalteva Church) which is a short walk from Center City.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Our experience... amazing! From pre arranged pick up in Jinotepe, warm welcome on our arrival, perfect room for us (my husband is very tall, we had a room with a double and single), excellent home Nica style food. The language learning...excellent, high level of professionalism of our teachers, 1-1 teaching, and encouragement to continue. Impressed with the range of community projects supported by La Mariposa, both social, environmental, organic gardening etc projects. My husband, a carpenter, had the opportunity to help local workers and volunteers build a small classroom for children con capacidades difference... using rough wood frame, straw filled reinforced walls, recycled materials and adobe, enviro method. We thoroughly enjoyed a variety of afternoon and weekend activities, visiting local artisan Pueblos Blancos, community projects, Volcan Mombacho day trip and day trip to Leon and so much more. We thank Paulette, Chester, Hazel, our teachers and all the staff at La Mariposa. Thank you! We will be back!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple