“Nice place but service needs attention”
Review of Hilton Knoxville

Hilton Knoxville
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nice place but service needs attention”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I live in Knoxville and there was a UT game Saturday [03-03-12] evening so I thought it would be nice to get a hotel room downtown. I'm a Hilton Honors member and like the Hilton brand and typically have a good experience. At 3 Pm my boyfriend and I arrived to check in and it was not a pleasant experience.. I told Elana (I think that as her name) at the front desk I was there to check in and she looked at her computer and after a few minutes of silence said 'I see you're booked in a executive floor king room and I'm sorry none of those are ready.. they have not been cleaned yet' (really? not ready? at 3 pm). She offered to put me in a two queen or king NOT on the executive floor.. I said no problem, if it won't be long I'll just wait for the room I booked. So then she gets on her walkie talkie and asks a cleaning person if any king rooms on executive floor were ready, and guess what? there was. So what that means to me is, without even checking or asking, I was told that the room I was there for wasn't ready and I'd have to wait. She then proceeds to stare at the computer for several minutes not saying anything.. just staring at the computer sreen as if something was wrong. Finally she asks me for the second time how many rooms keys I want because she apparently she forgot that she just asked me that two minutes ago. She just came off as incompetent. Oh and the whole time she never smiled. ..As far as the room itself [room 1811]. I hate to complain.. but there were a few issues there as well. Worst of all was that one of the executive level perks is that they have a larger 42 inch TV which is great ..unless of course it has no HD programming .. just very bad LOW D grainy picture with a lot of lines (see pictures) Not good for watching basketball or anything else. One of the lights in the bathroom was burnt out / not working.. the bathtub, that Hilton's website described as being "brand new", was small and not new looking at all. The chair at the work desk showed some bad wear and tear ( again see pictures). The worst part of the stay was when I tried to order room service. I dialed 0 on the phone and said I wanted to order room service. I was put on hold and I waited a LONG time. It would ring and someone would pick up and put me right back on hold for a long time. Frustrated, I just hung up and called back and said again I wanted to order room service.. The exact same thing happened. I hung up and called for the third time and I explained to the front desk what happened and the woman who took my call was no help at all. She tried to blame me, said I didn't dial the right number, not to call 0 for room service, and I should just wait because they were busy. She finally said I should actually call back in 10-15 minutes because there wasn't anyone to answer to take my order. (really?, again, it's the Hilton and all I want to do is order room service and this shouldn't be that difficult. I asked to speak with a manager and spoke with John, who was, again, no help at all. Just like first woman, the whole time he was speaking to me his tone was as if I were bothering them. He explains to me that the person who takes the orders for room service also happens to be the same person who delivers the orders, so sometimes they're not able to pick up the phone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so we gave up on room service and went out to eat.. On a positive note I enjoyed the Executive level lounge that evening for a little free food and the next morning for the continental breakfast. The bed was great, the sheets and pillows were very comfortable and the view from the 18th floor toward the river was amazing. Will I ever come back? Eventually yes and just hope next time I have a better experience with customer service and they have the TV fixed. Thanks for reading my review. I can be reached at datsunvspec@yahoo.com if anyone has any questions.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael T
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the details on the frustration that you encountered while at our hotel. I fully understand your frustration and offer a sincere apology on behalf of myself and my associates. We care a great deal about our guest's perception of our service and know that it is the only thing that matters to a guest with options on where to stay. I will address the service breakdowns in a prompt and proactive manner to avoid them in the future. You will be pleased to know that both the desk chairs and the up grade to full HD in our guest rooms is in progress and both projects will be completed within the next sixty days. I just want to once again reiterate that we truly do respond to guest’s feedback and will always consistently move forward in our quest to provide a satisfying experience for our guests. Thank you and have a great day.

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
orchard park
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just returned from a quick one night getaway at the Hilton. The purpose of the trip was to see a Brad Paisley concert over at the U of T arena, which would have been within walking distance except for the weather. The location also puts you very near Market Square, and within walking distance of Calhoun's on the River, a cool place for BBQ. The rooms are newly decorated, very nice. The lobby is updated and comfortable. Great breakfast buffet at the restaurant. One stand-out comment about the staff. Just about as soon as we arrived, (and our room was ready, even though it was only 1 o'clock), there was a tornado watch. Now, being from the land of snow and blizzards, we rarely experience tornados, and certainly nothing near the magnitude of what the poor folks did this past weekend in the TN valley. But the staff was knowledgeable and concerned about the threat, and when the watch became a warning, folks were given the option of evacuating their rooms to an interior banquet room to wait it out, with a plan for further action should a tornado be imminent. Overall, we appreciated their southern hospitality and professionalism. Fortunately, no tornado ever materialized in our area, but we feel awful indeed about those who were not so lucky.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to know that your trip to our great city was a pleasurable one. Please think of us again when you are back in Knoxville to enjoy another weekend. Have a great day.

Paul Jordan
Nashville,TN
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed. They are renovating the guest rooms and mine had recently been completed. Everything from the carpets to the linens were fresh and new. The only issue I had was the crowded lobby due to a convention being held at the hotel. One evening I had to wait 5 minutes in line for an elevator. From the hotel's location, you can easily walk to Market Square and downtown restaurants. Having a Starbucks in the lobby is also a plus. The room plus parking is a little pricey for me, but if your activities are in the downtown area, it is worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rosietn
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for continuing to choose our hotel for your travel needs. We are truly grateful for your loyalty. Downtown Knoxville truly is a great place to be with something for everyone. Thank you for your business and for sharing your positive experiences with us.

Paul Jordan
Roanoke
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I am currentlly staying at the Downtown Hilton, Knoxville, TN. I checked in on Friday, February 24, 2012, and will be checking out on Sunday, February 26, 2012. Overall, the facility is nice. Valet parking is $15 per day. Parking in the Hilton parking garage is $12.50 per day. There is a city owned garage beside the Hilton parking garage that is $8.00 per day and it is a very nice parking garage.
This Hilton is located across the street from the Convention Center. It is within walking distance of the 1982 World's Fair Sunsphere. You can also walk to the Tennessee Theatre and other theatres.
Upon check in yesterday at noon, I had lunch in the hotel restaurant. They were offering a salad, pasta and pizza for $8.95 per person.
I would recommend this property for anyone looking to stay in the downtown Knoxville area.

Room Tip: Upon arrival, my room wasn't ready. I waited 1.25 hours for it to be ready. It was still not rea...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Touring16
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving fellow travelers some details about your stay with us. We are delighted when we help our guests enjoy the many exciting things that are close to our hotel in downtown Knoxville. I do apologize for the delay you experienced upon check in; we certainly look to avoid such challenges. Thank you for choosing the Hilton Knoxville and we hope to have you back soon.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Very nice hotel, Very clean, updated and nicely appointed and designed. I didn't like the parking charge as it is Knoxville but it is a Hilton and does the name a good service. I stayed on the Executive level on the 17th floor and the room was spacious and had a great view. Centrally located to all that Knoxville had to offer. A good value with AAA. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gene63
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are always delighted at the opportunity to thank our associates for positive guest feedback. I trust that you will be able to come back to Knoxville soon.