“More bang for your buck at the habachi table”

Wasabi Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar
Ranked #154 of 1,304 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: USD 10 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Due to time (usually limited), my husband and I usually order our meals already prepared and take a table in the bar area. Today we had time for a long lunch, so we dined with other guests as our meal was prepared before our very eyes using the hibachi grill. Our chef wasn't very showy, but he was professional and his product was delicious! My steak was tender and flavorful. My husband enjoyed his chicken. The servings of stir fry veggies and fried rice were about 3 times the amount of food received when sitting in the bar. And we also received sweet glazed carrots. We brought home enough food for 2 more meals! Sweet deal. Really!

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We went early, getting there a bit prior to opening at 5:00. By 5:15 the hibachi tables were full. We enjoyed the food and the chef. Plenty of flavor with 5 or 6 dip choices. Server was very attentive.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I have several friends who love this place. I'm not sure if it's the show from the cook or if it's the atmosphere that's different from other restaurants that appeals to them but, I'm convinced it's not the food. Unless, they like for all their food to taste the same. There are no individual flavors when everything is covered in the same sauce! I'm surprised they don't put the sauce in your drink! I mean, it's not a bad flavor....it's just that it's the only flavor. It appears to be a clean and friendly restaurant but I'm not a fan.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

My daughter and I were out shopping and decided to have sushi for dinner. We arrived at 4:45 PM at Wasabi and found that it did not open until 5PM. We waited the 15 minutes and are glad we did. We ordered a bowl of edamame to share as an appetizer. It was lightly salted and tasted great. For my meal I ordered the Deluxe Chef consisting of 6 tuna rolls and 8 different kind of raw fish spread over a small beds of rice. Except for the octopus and eel, the fish were melt-in-your-mouth excellent. The octopus and eel were very good, but very chewy. The service was great and our server, Dani, kept our drinks refilled in a timely manner. We will return.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

I was reluctant to give this restaurant just one star but I had to. My wife and I arrived about 1:00pm on Memorial Day. There was no wait. When we went in, the Host asked me if we wanted a table or a booth. I said booth and he pointed to his left and we sat down. Never made eye contact. Did not greet us or smile. I ordered combo of Rib Eye (Medium) and Chicken with a side of Mushroom Soup and Tempura Shrimp/Veggie Appetizer. The Appetizer was very good. The soup had a mild flavor but I liked it. My wife ordered Fillet Mignon (Medium), same soup and we shared the Appetizer. She thought the soup was flavorless and didn't even finish it which she always does in restaurants like this. She loved the Tempura veggies. She did not try the shrimp. The main course was the problem. For $14, my wife's portion of Fillet Mignon was pathetic, maybe 3-4 ounces with mushrooms mixed in to make it look like a larger portion. It was well done, not medium. It was not tender, but chewy. My meal was the same. Steak ($12) was well done, not medium. It was chewy. The portion was small. The chicken was overcooked. You might ask, why did we not return it? My wife does not like to "bring up an issue" in a restaurant. It makes her feel uncomfortable. Plus, too many people trying to get something for nothing. I wrote on the check my comments but based on the Host's indifference, we did not want to go back again anyway. Lastly, during the meal, I could see that the other side of the restaurant had table service where a chef cooked your meal at the table. That was what the Host was asking us but he never asked if we had been there before and we always get a booth in a restaurant. Maybe the portion would have been bigger. Maybe it would have been tender and not overcooked. Bottom line, we won't be back.

1  Thank Mark C