“Sour and Sweet”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Cartersville, Georgia
“Sour and Sweet”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Let me start off by saying I wish I had read the comment entitled "The Worst Hotel Experience of My Life" that someone posted here before booking this hotel. I had the same exact experience with this hotel booking school groups who were very noisy, shouted obscenities and slammed doors in their rooms and hallways. This group was on the top floor (3rd) of the hotel and we had a smoking room on the same floor. Unfortunately, we were met with the same experiience and when I called the front desk clerk to complain early in the evening, she more or less defended them and said they had taken several rooms in the hotel (implying that their number of rooms taken and the amount of money taken in outweighed my one room). She did offer to talk to them to quiet down, but my husband and I feared that since they saw us enter our room nearby they might suspect we had complained and would make our life miserable for the one night we stayed there. Therefore we did not ask her to speak with them.

In fairness, after a second call from us threatening to check out of the hotel, she offered to move us to another room on a lower level. No apology was made for our poor experience from the clerk. The new room was also a smoking room and had a Jacuzzi (which we did use and enjoy) and there was no extra charge. So, we went from sour to sweet in 10 minutes but not after a considerable amount of aggravation and anxiety beforehand .

I need to say that we booked this room because of the indoor pool and hot tub which we wanted to take advantage of after a long day of driving. Before the above unpleasant situation took place, I had checked out this pool area in the hotel. While the pool and hot tub looked clean, I was overwhelmed by the smell of chemicals used in the pool and started coughing immediately. I realized that the smell was so over powering that I could not enjoy the swimming facility (and this was my prime reason for booking the hotel). However, the Jacuzzi we had in the new room was some consolation.

This was my first experience with Best Western. I'm not sure if I will give this hotel chain a second chance. If you are looking for a room in that same area when traveling, you may do better with LaQuinta and Comfort Inn which were within a very short distance from this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Stayed here on business for one night but was very impressed. Ive stayed in many hotels on business in the past few months and I would say this has been my favorite. It was very well taken care of, in a safe area, and had many amenities to choose from. I took a dip in the hot tub and it was very relaxing. Tried to go in the indoor pool but it was too cold, do not think it was heated. The room I was placed in featured a microwave and fridge, which was great. It was spacious, quiet, and I would stay there again should I be in that area. The hotel also featured a gift shop, a business center, and a breakfast area.

Tip: I went on http://promocodes2011.com and under best western, I found a great promo code (webonly) that I used when I booked online. Got me $30 off my stay and only had to pay $70 rather than $90. Not sure how long this promo works.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LifeArtPhoto
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed 22 November 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE!! This hotel books school groups (3 high school football teams this time) without regard to their other guests. The noise is UNBELIEVABLE. Kids running up and down the halls, slamming doors, yelling all night and early in the morning. 1st night I went to the front desk, the woman shrugged and said "They're kids, what can you do?" I asked her to call security or the manager, and she said she was the only one there on the weekends and could do nothing. She also told me it was because "They're black". !!!! Totally racist comment. I said, I don't care if they're green, you need to do something to quiet them down so others can sleep. At 3am I went downstairs to complain again, and there were three men sleeping on sofas in the lobby because they said their rooms were too noisy!!!

The morning clerk was kinder and switched our room to one she said was quieter. She also said that there was a more experienced manager coming in the evening who "runs a tight ship" and wouldn't allow that to happen, and also that 2 of the 3 groups were leaving. Foolishly, we stayed (Hotwire booking, so no cancellation possible). When we returned to the hotel that night, the scene was worse. The group had taken over the whole lobby. There was a case of Tennessee whisky on the side table, and children lounging all over the lobby (floor too) screaming and running. The pool had at least 50 kids in it. There was no way to use any of the amenities. And again - the running in the halls, door slamming. I pleaded with several of the "chaperones" to call a curfew, and try to keep quiet. They laughed at me.

Then (I can't believe we did this), we decided to rent another room as a sound buffer so that maybe we could get a few hours sleep. They happily charged us $70 for this. No luck. The door slamming and running and yelling in the hall commenced at 6am. When I went to front desk to ask for help (and I was VERY angry by now), the manager told me to return to my room or she would call the police - on ME! Not on the people who were making the noise. Unbelievable.

This was just totally unacceptable for ANY hotel. The primary reason to stay in one is to sleep, and this was not possible. I called the 800 number and they are working to get me a refund (I hope), but the damage has been done. I will never stay at another Best Western, and will now always ask if there are groups of any kind at the hotel. I think that if they are going to book large noisy groups (and the housekeeping staff told me they do it several times a year, and that this always happens), that they should close bookings to other travellers who actually want to rest. The owner and management of this hotel should be ashamed.

Oh, and the wireless didn't work, and there were kids using all the computers in BUSINESS center unsupervised, playing computer games.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IhateBestWestern
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I checked in and encountered a surly night desk guy who was totally unhelpful. He barely could bring himself to check me in. the room was on the first floor and appeared o.k. Bad wireless internet; reception, I had to plug into a wall LAN outlet. In the morning as I checked out, the new desk person noticed that he had done the paperwork wrong and I was going to be charged for the room twice.

A few hours later, I started to notice my ankles itched; I had flea bites all over them!

This was the worst night's stay out of a two week trip.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank whitenviro
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night,
desperately tired after 16 hours
of driving across the county.
The room smelled. The bath mat had long, black
hair on it. The first towel I pulled from rack had
a brown stain on it. At one point, I had to fix the chain in
the toilet tank.
(to which the front desk
said I should've called to switch rooms...at 2:00-2:30 a.m?
How about just making nice rooms available?)
When I woke up the next morning, I found a bug in my bed.
(to which the front desk matter-of-factly explained that
the bugs come in through the air conditioner
to get water (!?) The coffee at the breakfast bar did not taste
good at all. We did not eat breakfast.
Worst Best Western I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family