“Ranch was great, but no southern hospitality here!”

Loretta Lynn's Ranch
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was just on my vacation celebrating our 25th Anniversary out in Tennessee, a dream trip for me. Throughout my trip I had encountered some of the nicest people I have ever met! Not ONE rude person at any tours (and we did many!!) or restaurants we ate at UNTIL day 8 when we went to Loretta's ranch in Hurricane Mills. I had always wanted to visit here and was so excited. We had a buy one get one free from my Entertainment book. I also had the online digital version that all you had to do was show the clerk your phone and that was it. Well, big problem as soon as you get into the little store to buy your tickets for the tours, you lose cellular & wifi reception!! They told me they had never heard of Entertainment books or those coupons and I told them I had 2 of them so they do exist. They weren't going to honor without seeing the coupon..they told me to go walk around and bring it up when I could find reception, but they said it's hard to do. I finally did, but by the time I got back in the store the reception was gone again. They called a manager/supervisor and she too was not aware of the coupon. I couldn't believe it!! I went back out got reception then took a photo of my 2 vouchers (one for us and the other for our friends traveling with us to use. I took my camera back in with me, Tommy was NOT happy or courteous at all. It was the FIRST experience of complete rudeness. He told me next time you come be prepared and print your voucher up. I was taken back!! I said very kindly to him "why would I print up a MOBILE voucher, I paid for the digital book so that I would not have to hassle with printing while traveling. He gave out an exasberated under the breath comment I could not hear clearly. He reluctantly ended up selling me my ticket but refused to honor the other one for the other couple with us (mind you this is a totally separate voucher!!). My friend came out very upset that he refused her and when she said forget it I am just not doing the tour, he commented to the employee working along side him "typical foreigners!" Wow!! She was humiliated and so I went back in and he didn't believe me that I had 2 vouchers and that the manager told me that both would be honored if I can show the photo. So I showed him the 2 photos again,and I even told him "sir, I am not being dishonest, I am just trying to use my entertainment.com vouchers that I paid to use. They do exist. The man in the store his name was Tommy. Knowing the personality that Loretta has and how I would think she would want her guests to be treated and spoken too was like what I had experienced throughout Tennessee...so I was surprised they had someone like him working there with the guests. Our tour guide on the other hand, was very sweet. The ranch is beautiful!! After our tour I wanted to shop, but I wouldn't go back in that store to buy souvenirs like I had planned because Tommy was still in there.

Date of experience: October 2013
in 8 reviews
"worth the trip"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Had a great time at the ranch! Toured the house and walked thru the ranch stores. It's a beautiful place and seeing loretta during the gospel fest was a nice added bonus!

Date of experience: October 2013
1  Thank affillia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Apparently the last reviews must be in awe with Loretta Lynn and doesn't see the true campgrounds.

The were packed together, these were the ones you reserve. No phone service, cable and wifi was iffy.

We did not have a picnic table at our site and notice the majority didn't have picnic tables. We did see two tables that were broken down and sitting by the campground lot.

The best part was the permanent little trailer with the rebel flags and surrounding his little trailer were 5 picnic tables, That's who had the tables!! I guess no one supervises the campground on the hill because they wouldn't have let this one person take all the tables.

We were disappointed and still wonder if these people ever really look at where they were staying or just thought Loretta Lynn, We drove up on another hill where it said camping and cabins, the road was nothing but big ruts of gravels where the rain washed , There were a few rvs beside the cabins but they were sticking way out where you drove. There was not really a place to camp beside the cabin or park due to the rock washing away,.

The museum had old 8 tracks and cassette tapes for sale.

I would never camp there again, I know there are few campgrounds close by but there are two state parks within 30 miles and a KOA

Date of experience: September 2013
5  Thank KraZynTn
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We took a road trip thru Tennesse/Kentucky and first visited Loretta Lynn's childhood home in Butcher Hollow, KY. We really enjoyed the tour there given by Loretta's brother. So naturally we had to stop in Tennesse to visit Loretta Lynn's Ranch also. It was a very enjoyable stop for us. The grounds were lovely, and the tour of her plantation home was so interesting! Great musuem and fun to step inside her older bus for a peek! It's cool to hear her music being played all around also!

Date of experience: September 2013
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This isn't a destination visit except for die-hard Loretta Lynn fans. But it is a nice stop on a road trip, with some beautiful scenery from/to the Interstate.

Besides being Miss Lynn's home, the ranch also hosts what can best be described as a museum of Miss Lynn's life. Because her career has spanned so many years, the displays also illustrate the growth of and changes to the country music industry.

It's all here. And I do mean ALL. There are posters, gowns, instruments, documents, costumes, awards, photos, cars and even one of her old tour buses. Either she spent a lot of money retrieving it all, or she never tossed anything away in her life. She even built a replica of her home from "Butcher Holler," where she started as a "Coal Miner's Daughter."

Even though I wouldn't have made this a destination trip, I found it all very interesting. The displays have been professionally arranged and give some nice glimpses into the 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond, up to the present day. I was surprised at how much time we spent there, especially given the specialized focus.

Worth a visit!