“So glad the hotel canceled our resevation without telling us.”

Magnuson Hotel Nashville North
Reviewed 25 August 2017

When we got to the hotel the desk clerk informs me that she has canceled my reservation because it was made months earlier. I explained that we had a confirmation from the hotel chain but she didn't seem to be concerned with that little detail. She stated that because I hadn't called the hotel to make sure that the room was available she canceled the reservation. She didn't bother to inform me of that. When I asked her what we were suppose to do, she just shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. This was during the Eclipse weekend so to say that I wasn't panicked would have been an understatement. I got back in my car and started calling all the hotel chains. We found another hotel room in 10 minutes. A really nice room in a really nice hotel, closer to where we needed to be for the Eclipse on Monday. So really I'm grateful for how everything turned out.

Room Tip: Do not, do not, do not stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 July 2017

The bed was comfortable and that is the only good thing I can say. My husband and I checked in just hoping to watch a little TV and relax after 13 hours on the road. Was hoping to catch one of my shows on NBC. I finally had to call the front desk to get someone to help me turn on the TV. The guy who came to the room hardly spoke english and had no idea what network TV was. Tried to get me to watch HBO or a sports channel. Finally just told him to leave and we just turned the TV off. Reception was very poor anyway.

They had a dehumidifier running in the room and the carpet was really wet. Room had a weird smell. Then after all this I found out they didn't have breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2017

My advice? Do. Not. Stay. Here. We were charged in full for two rooms that we didn't even use, never even entered or saw, EVEN with the clerk's assertion she would refund us. We made a reservation over the phone, and were a little surprised when the clerk called back and asked for payment in full up front. When she asked us to pre-pay, there was NO statement of non-refundable policy. We pulled up to the hotel to find a group of people drinking in the bed of a pickup truck with their radio at full blast, and several other people with open alcohol in the parking lot. We asked the clerk if she planned to ask the party to turn down their radio for the night, and she replied the people were not guests of the hotel, so there was nothing she could do about it. We replied that given the number of non-guests hanging out in the parking lot, we didn't feel safe leaving our car there. She immediately switched her story and said the people WERE guests of the hotel and had been staying there for several weeks and were good people who wouldn't bother our car, but if anyone DID break into the car, it was not her responsibility. We asked if there was any more secure place to leave our car. She said no. I emphasize we were polite and rational, and said we decided not to stay at the hotel as it really didn't seem secure, and we understood it was not her fault, but it just was not suitable. She became instantly agitated and started shouting at us about losing money, though she simultaneously said the hotel was sold out and at the same time refused to give us any guarantees of the safety of staying at the property. There was no other security personnel, only the clerk and a very young woman who fled to the back room when the clerk started shouting. She then said she would refund one of the rooms. We stood there waiting for her to process the refund, and stated that we would call our credit card company to ensure we were not charged for rooms we didn't use. She said that would be fine. Admittedly we left without seeing her process the refund. Well, she didn't. We called the credit card company to dispute the charges. They said they would have to call the hotel - now, the clerk is refusing to refund us because she "made the rooms available", regardless of the suitability of the hotel for habitation. Honestly, we would have been more likely to put up with the tailgate party in the parking lot than the irrational clerk flying into a tirade that made it seem she was concealing something rather than making any attempt to assist full-price-paying guests to feel comfortable. Additionally, "making rooms available" does not equate to a transaction of providing suitable hotel accommodation. Emailed Magnuson corporate and received a reply that they don't own the hotel, only license it to use their name (so why then would they do that?) and it's up to the hotel manager to handle the customer service issue. If they're going to rip me off for over $216 for nothing in return, every review site on the internet is going to hear about it.

Room Tip: Choose any other hotel, your car, or a cardboard box under a bridge rather than this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2017

They do not have an elevator so we had to drag our luggage up two flights of stairs. The desk chair did not roll and almost threw me to the floor. The pillows felt like bricks and I woke up with a headache. When I checked out, the front desk person spoke to me thru a half closed door telling me to leave my key card on the desk. She did not even have the courtesy to come out to greet me at the front desk. The room was clean enough. I will never stay here again however.

Room Tip: The location is good.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

Only stay here is you are absolutely desperate. We got our room for $65 + $15 in tax. I'm seeing the rate today of around $130 which is absolutely absurd. The pictures that the hotel publishes are nice. So let's cover the good: nice size room and surprisingly nice bathroom. The bad: there's no such thing as a non-smoking room. We are non-smokers and my daughter is allergic to it. So, the odor that was baked into the fabrics of the room such as curtains and carpet - very disappointing. Some mechanism on the front door lock was literally duct taped together. Tv remote was taped together. Breakfast is clearly advertised on their website but we were advised upon checking in that it was up to the manager's discretion in the morning and sure enough, the breakfast area was closed in the morning. I have never experienced that in all of my years of traveling. How incredibly cheap can the owners be? Or perhaps laziness on the part of the staff. The advertised pictures show a nice courtyard with tables and a fountain. Umm, they must have been stolen or the owners sold them for a few bucks because there's nothing there but a concrete slab. Oh, I almost forgot, when I asked the hotel clerk who was in the "courtyard" if coffee was available, he questioned "can't you just get that in your room?" Check out is a process where you are asked to turn off all electrical devices, to leave the card keys in the room, and to leave the door open so that the maid can gain entrance since she doesn't have keys to each room. Short of finding the chalk line of a body in our room, I'm not sure how much worse this could have been.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family