“Sunday Dinner -- Just Like Mom's”
Review of Cool Cafe

Cool Cafe
Ranked #27 of 412 Restaurants in Franklin
Price range: USD 6 - USD 16
Description: Cool Cafe blends "Fine Southern Food" and scratch cookin' for a scrumptious and hearty meal for lunch and dinner. We serve lunch Sunday through Friday and dinner Monday through Thursday. Entrees, like Fried Chicken, Meatloaf, Pot Roast, and Chef's Specials such as Lemon Baked Chicken, Baked Tilapia and Chicken Mexico, team up with a variety of freshly cooked vegetables such as, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Fried Corn, Turnip Greens, White Beans, Creamed Spinach, Fried Okra and Mac and Cheese. All are served with your choice of yeast rolls or cornbread. One of our special items, served Sunday through Thursday, is HOT CHICKEN on white bread and served with homemade pickles. What a treat! If you would like something "Cool", try our Cool Salads: Broccoli Salad (Tim's special recipe), Cole Slaw, Cranberry Salad, 3 Bean Salad, Pea Salad, Potato Salad, and delectable Chicken Salad made with green grapes and a special creamy sauce. And don't miss the old fashioned, just like Grandma used to make, Deviled Eggs! A must have is dessert, and oh, what choices there are! The house special served everyday is the World Famous Banana Pudding, made from scratch pudding, fresh bananas, vanilla wafers and a 5 inch cloud of real meringue! Then there are the fruit cobblers, two choices daily, apple, cherry, peach, and blackberry. The daily specials rotate and there are choices like made from scratch Brownies with house-made caramel sauce, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are a variety of cupcakes, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, and Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing! Be on the lookout for new and/or seasonal desserts, such as Pumpkin or Pecan Pie!
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

My first visit here. My wife suggested we dine here after church this morning. Looks can be deceiving. This place is tucked away in a small neighborhood-type strip center just off Highway 431/Hillsborough Road and Mack Hatcher Bypass in Franklin near the Williamson County Recreation Center.

Back to the looks department -- simple, casual with pub like vibe. Posters of 70's Rockers adorn the walls -- which gives you an instant recall of the music piped through ceiling speakers.

This place was packed with people loading up on down home country-style cooking -- just like momma used to serve on Sundays after church. The meat-and-three (or four) counter servers move the hungry patrons on through quickly but not rudely. The portions are ample if not overflowing. I had the crispy fried chicken with corn, potato salad and fried okra. The homemade peach cobbler looked too good to pass up -- and I wasn't disappointed.

Like I said -- looks can be deceiving -- nothing fancy about the place except the tastes.

Looks like we found another Franklin favorite.

Sherrie P, Public Relations Manager at Cool Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Hello Steve D! So glad your wife suggested Cool Cafe. We love happy customers and it sounds like you are one! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We would like to know what we could do to improve for your next review to be a "5"? You are correct, we do have a 70's sort of style. Our owner and chief chef grew up in the 70's and loves the music! Many of our recipes come from parents and grandparents from that era. And all of our food is prepared fresh for each of the daily servings. Come back on a Friday or Saturday night for a feast called STEAK Night. We serve the finest beef, chicken, and fish. Even our decor changes to match. Still casual just jazzed up for the weekend! Hope to see you there!

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Not a traveler on this one, I live in Franklin. Cool Cafe is a locally owned, everything from scratch, bona fide meat & three during the week, then it transforms itself into an outstanding steakhouse on Friday and Saturday evenings. I have been numerous times for lunch and everything I have had has been great, especially the meat loaf, fried chicken and catfish. I can honestly say that their fried chicken is the best I have ever eaten. Vegetables are flavorful and clearly came from fresh - not the bland, canned food you can get lots of other places.

Their steaks are unique - reminiscent of what you normally can get in Chicago but few other places. They're seasoned to perfection and seared on extremely high heat to get a nice crust. I've always gone for the filet; can't seem to depart from that and try anything else. It's always a well-trimmed center cut, nothing to "eat around" and literally nothing left when I'm done. They serve it with a tasty demi-glace and sides that are anything but run-of-the mill. Try it! You won't regret it....

Reviewed 8 March 2017

This is my favorite meat and three. The food is tasty, the portions are large, and the staff is friendly. My husband and I were there the other day and my husband actually got brussel sprouts (something he doesn't like when I cook them!) so I asked Tim, the owner, how he cooked his. He was so cute when I told him about my husband not liking mine so he told me how he cooks his. Thank you, Tim. As for the reviewer that didn't like eating off paper plates and having plastic utensils......I would rather have better food and larger portions. Fried? This is the south....we southerners like our fried chicken and Tim's is the best!

Reviewed 6 February 2017

I did not expect a cafeteria line and Styrofoam dinnerware. I did not expect to see foods in serving containers that looked dry, overcooked and fried. I walked through the line several times and nothing looked appetizing. The reviews took us there and perhaps I don't really understand good southern food but I didn't read any review that said we would eat on plastic and choose food from a cafeteria line.

4  Thank Joan M
Tim N, Owner at Cool Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2017

Once you have tried our food, you won't mind the paper plates or plastic utensils. Each menu item is prepared fresh several times a day, from old, tried and true, southern recipes. We cook in large quantities to feed lots of patrons in a timely manner. Our serving line allows us to serve quickly, while greeting our customers and answering any questions they may have. We also serve very large portions and we change our menu daily. We take pride in serving the best food at a lower cost, making it a good value. We use disposable paper plates and plastic flatware to help keep down the costs to serve you our high quality, real food. It's like you are on a picnic, only with the conveniences of being inside, having many delicious food choices, large portions of our fresh Fine Southern Food, fast and friendly service, and you don't have to pack your meal! We invite you to come back and try our award winning meat and three!! Once you taste it, you will know why we have so many 5 star ratings!!

Reviewed 2 January 2017

You get a huge plate of awesome food here for a reasonable price!! I prefer the Mon & Wed veg options, but if I'm in the area, I'm there any other day too! Most of the time I'm too full to have any of the fantastic deserts - so I may need to do what the kids do - start eating the desert first.

Tim N, Owner at Cool Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Thanks so much ChessMc!!!

Been to Cool Cafe? Share your experiences!