“Good Old Fashioned Meals & Pies! ”
Review of Court Square Cafe

Court Square Cafe
Ranked #9 of 42 Restaurants in Covington
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had lunch at Court Square Cafe today and really enjoyed it! When we arrived we saw a sign that said to seat yourself wherever you'd like. We were greeted as we sat down by more than one staff member and our waiter was pleasant and made sure we had what we wanted. My husband had the catfish plate and thought it was great. I had the mesquite chicken plate and was happy with my food too. We also had pie after our meal that was very good... I had chocolate meringue and my husband had coconut cream pie. The coconut that topped my husband's pie was a bit over browned but he said it was still a fantastic slice of pie.

I also thought the inside of the cafe had an old fashioned charm to it too. I loved the green and white checkered tablecloths, the big colorful glasses our drinks were served in, the many signs with sayings on them hanging on the walls, and I especially loved the decades old brick wall on the inside. They also have a board hanging that has the daily specials and many of the sides offered for the day.

Great good, great staff...I would definitely go back when in Covington!

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Great Cafe to stop in and overindulge if you aren't to careful! It's hard to find good home cooked type food anymore but, this place takes the cake. Staff is great and attentive to your needs while you are there. Makes you glad you stopped!

Reviewed 22 April 2017

If I were rating this restaurant solely on taste and quality of food, I would rate it at about 4 stars. It's pretty close to average, really. A nice little sit-down cafe with tables (no booths) and primarily Southern eats.

Our problem was actually OVER-service. I love having a waiter or waitress come to check on us every five to ten minutes.....but we were literally asked "is everything ok?" and "do you need anything?" and "how do you like the food?" so often - by quite literally every staff member that was in the restaurant that we started timing how long it would be before someone else would come along. The shortest time we had to wait between people coming to our table, asking the same question? FIFTEEN SECONDS. No joke. It was that often. And this continued through our entire meal. It reached the point of annoying proportions and my husband even at one point told one of the waiters before he had the chance to ask "Yes, we're perfectly okay - everything is good - thank you" and they still didn't slow down in their constant rotation of questions.

Like I said, I don't mind good service....but there is such thing as over-service. And they have definitely reached that level and then some.

The food was decent, but we opted to not return to this restaurant because it simply became very annoying, very quickly.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Had the chicken and dumplings which where served in juice in a bowl. Turnip greens in a small cup, corn bread, rolls, twice baked potatoe and pecan pie for dessert. Very good service and decent price but fantastic food.

Reviewed 1 July 2016

My wife and I were in Covington recently for lunch and found Court Square Cafe. Well, the reviews were good and we are glad we tried it out. Turns out that the building was built in the 1940's which added to the atmosphere.

First, the service staff were courteous, friendly and they made us feel welcome. I had the huge country fried steak (it was half the size of the plate!), scratch made mashed potatoes and homemade sweet potatoe casserole. Everything was well seasoned and full of flavor. My wife enjoyed her chicken and dressing with spinach and cornbread.

If you're in or going to Covington - or simply passing by on Hwy 51 - take a quick trip over to Court Square and have some great food and gracious service. You'll be glad you did - and you'll leave full and satisfied.