“More History Especially for Train Lovers”

Cookeville Depot Museum
Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in Cookeville
Reviewed 2 August 2016

If you're in historic down town Cookeville, TN, check this out. Several redone cars , one engine and a nice station. The museum was closed, but there was enough to take you back in this town's past. Surprisingly, there were plenty of visitors walking around. The ice cream shop is also across the street.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"exhibits"
"replica"

Reviewed 28 July 2016

This museum is just terrific! The building was built in 1909 and was under threat of destruction in the 1970s. So glad they were able to preserve it and now it lives on as a small museum. Outside they have a BIG steam engine, two cabooses from different eras and picnic tables for great people watching! Inside there is a small gift shop, a kids' area with a Thomas train table, coloring supplies and a TV with kid-friendly content playing, life-like mannequins doing railroad "jobs," and small exhibits with historical information. They do story time Fridays at 10:30 and other special events like outdoor movies and concerts throughout the year. The super-nice lady at the front desk gave us all the info and told us which local restaurants (and a donut shop) are not to be missed. Not at all bad for FREE!!!

Side note: The are THREE Pokestops on the grounds!

Reviewed 18 July 2016

Great History of Cookeville. We decided to stay extra nights as one of the clerks from Days Inn pointed us to different sites of Cookeville. Enjoyed this Depot Museum.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

Went in to see out of curiosity. I advised Beth I was there to see the main museum and was sad it was closed. Beth gave me her card and stated when I was done with a meeting to call her and she would see that I was let inside.

She was true to her word. I called and someone appeared to let me in. Inside there was a small army of devoted employees working away. I was able to look at the well presented artifacts and was able to find more information that I had ever hoped for.

They made me copies of a book, copies of pictures, and took my email address so that they could contact me if they could help me further at a later date.

This Indiana girl got some REAL SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY!
Well done Ladies!