Chattanooga Choo Choo
  • Breakfast included
USD 186*
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn - Hamilton Place(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
USD 122*
Residence Inn
USD 151*
GardenInn.com
USD 104*
Staybridge Suites near Hamilton Place(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
USD 131*
USD 127*
The Read House(Chattanooga)
USD 168*
Hotels.com
2,780 results
All reviewstrain carstation house restaurantgardens restaurantsinging waiterspizza carindoor poolregular roomfree shuttleelectric shuttleruby fallscarsrailcarpullmanvictorianrailroaddowntownconvention
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Overall it was pleasant, the staff, and I mean all the staff, are pleasant and say hi, or good morning. I did not stay or eat in the train cars. We stayed in Hotel #3, they have 20 acres, three hotels and three pools, lots of parking. We had a buffet that was catered and the food was very good. The room was standard but the toilets were a big problem for us, and others in our group, we had 70 or so and it was a subject of much humor. These toilets are some form of water savers that work very poorly and require multiple flushes to work, thus negating any water saving benefits, they should replace all of them. In the late afternoon we had coffees in the cafe and they were very good. It was fun sitting in the great lobby having our coffees and reminiscing about what travel was like back in the golden age of train travel. Use the free electric buses to go down to the restaurants, the boat tours, the aquarium, but watch out for pan handlers that prowl , around parking lots and restaurants.

Room Tip: See my comment above on hotel number three. I do not know if the train cars of hotel number 2 have these terrible toilets.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Redmax1982
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thanks for your review about our hotel and great staff. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. We strive to create great service. I’m not sure about your comments about the toilets. We checked the PBX log and only had 2 maintenance calls for toilets in your building during your stay (5 days) with the car show. Maintenance is further checking the situation out. The free parking and shuttle is always a hit with our guests.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Wanting to get away for a small weekend trip at the last minute the Choo Choo was our last resort of hotel possibilities. The reviews had us hesitant to book but since it was the last hotel in town for the weekend we did. Specifically we were wanting a family package for the Aquarium, since the Choo Choo had it we booked a room. The lady who took reservations was helpful and polite giving me the idea it would be a pleasant experience. We would be coming into town before check-in and she stated since we bought an aquarium package we could check-in at 10am. We arrived about 10:30am to change clothes and hit the mountain attractions for the day. Once at the front desk we were told by the friendly front desk staff our room was not available due to cleaning and would be ready before normal check in at 3:00pm; we did get our tickets and vouchers. We were a little bummed but changed in the car and enjoyed the day.

Once back at the hotel the friendly front desk staff checked us in assigning us to the first floor of Hotel 3. We got a map of the property and given instructions about where to eat and points of interest on the property. The room was in very clean condition, the only blemish was some discoloration around the soap holder in the shower but its an older property. We got cleaned up and headed to to eat at the brewpub next door which was extremely great food! The pool was clean, hot tub was lukewarm to say the least and someone left their beer can floating. The water was discolored slightly so my wife and I declined.

The breakfast buffet was good and worth trying, kids eat free and with our $25 voucher from the package we all ate for $7.00. The wait staff was very nice and on the spot. The model RR museum was cool and worth visiting (we had free tickets from again the aquarium package so why not give it a shot). The property itself was old yes, but it was very nostalgic and interesting.

In summary, if you are looking for an immaculate 5 star resort then its not going to meet your needs. This is an old but still beautiful hotel with lots of history even for someone who was born after the station shut down. We had a great time, enjoyed all the hotel had to offer and took advantage of the free vouchers given with our package. We didnt eat at the Station House but heard it was nice. My wife and I have discussed staying again if we make it back up to Chattanooga. Try to brewpub next door, good prices, great food and great microbrews.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

THANK YOU! We appreciate your great comments about our Historic Hotel. Thanks for not letting a couple reviews deter you. And remember, some of the reviews are guest impressions. Thanks for your comments about the staff ---they are great!!

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Walk into the beautiful Grand Lobby and be ready for a Grand Getaway! Sarah welcomed us to the Choo Choo and even allowed us to choose the perfect train car for us. We did not meet one staff memeber who was not super nice! We parked our car and spent the next two days enjoying the grounds. We walked through the gardens, shopped in the shops, enjoyed a nice sandwhich in the Cafe, went swimming in the waterfall pool, relaxed in our cozy Garden Train Car, had wine and the most delicious ribeye steak in the Garden Restaurant, strolled the grounds, sat and admired the lobby, and ended the evening with an ice cream. Everyone should experience sleeping in a train car! Have been here in the 70s, 80s and now, 2012. Still GREAT!!! Take a break from life and have a Wonderful Time, Going Back in Time!

Room Tip: The front desk will help you completely! Our favorite is a train car (old but very nice, very clean, very cool, and so much fun) overlooking the Gardens--where we've always stayed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RandellK_12
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

5 stars-Great!!! Thank you for appreciating the history of the lobby; and going back in time. I am so glad you were able to visit all the venues and had great service and product. Thanks for your repeat business. Come back and see us again real soon!
Regards,
Jill Ellis
Quality Assurance

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Beautiful lobby but terrible odor of smoke. Checked in and went straight to our room. In the hallway ceiling the air conditioner was leaking so bad that water was heavily dripping - looked as though it was going to fall out of the ceiling. Hallways smelled of smoke and mildew. The room was like a really old, old Holiday Inn that had never been refurbished. In fact, the floors were so dirty we would not go barefoot - chair and ottoman in the room was worn, nasty - looked like someone brought it in from a dumpster - no way we would even sit on it. We were late for a wedding ceremony, so we had no choice but to get a shower and quickly leave for the wedding. The water in the tub would not drain (probably due to hair). After the wedding reception, we decided we could not bring ourselves to go back there and sleep on that bed. We gathered our belongings and checked out. The front desk attendant was very understanding and didn't even question our complaints. They were very nice and refunded 1/2 of our money because after all , we did have the room for a few hours and my husband used the shower. We are not the kind of people that have to stay at the "best or newest" hotels, but we do prefer them to be clean. The Choo Choo was far from cleanliness. We moved down the street to The Chattanoogan. Price was the same and the room was excellent. We would never recommend the Choo Choo to anyone. Too bad that such a cool, historic hotel has to be in such bad shape.

Room Tip: Best recommendation - DO NOT stay in one of the buildings. I've heard the train cars are nice but didn't personally see inside one of them.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. There is no excuse for a room being dirty. We would have gladly moved you to another. We do make mistakes; we just want the opportunity to correct it. The room was inspected immediately following the guest comments. I am disappointed about your furniture comment. Our Capital plan is ongoing, as I have mentioned in a previous review. We have spent 3 million dollars in the last couple of years
I would be happy to speak with you about your visit.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I was a single adult on a trip and stayed in one of the buildings. I would not stay here unless you have kids with you. Main entry was nice. The restaurant choices were fine for kids and couples. Rooms were ok but worn down, hallways and stairwells were dirty. If I had my kids I would definitely try a train car but not worth the room price for the concrete building section.

Room Tip: If you have kids, spring for the railway car. Although I didn't stay in one, it might be a fun option
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Amy L
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. It is great for kids and adults alike. The thousands of guests visit the hotel range in age from 2-70+ annually.