“Secluded cosy place to stay and lots of things to...”
other travellers have booked this property
Valasay is seen here on the left.
This is the view from the double bedroom window looking over the Kyles of Valasay
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Valasay is seen here on the left.
Valasay showing the tidal sea loch
The house at 25 Valasay
The well equipped kitchen has everything you would expect and perhaps some things you wouldn't
This photo looks up the Kyles of Valasay from the main part of our croft.
There's an amazing sense of calmness at Bosta that I can't quite describe.
On the Bosta walk from Valasay
This aerial shot shows the view
The master bedroom has a king size bed made from solid oak.
The twin room has views of the back garden and croft land
The view from the master bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Holiday Rental House -
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 4
Great Bernera, Isle of Lewis, Lewis and Harris, Outer Hebrides, The Hebrides, Scotland

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 93 reviews

Reviews from our community

German first
Any
Supratik
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Secluded cosy place to stay and lots of things to do on the doorstep”
Reviewed 30 September 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

Isle of Lewis and Harris was a big improvement after the crowds of Skye and this cottage was nicely tucked in a little corner of this stunningly beautiful island.
Right from the beginning Ann was very prompt and helpful in her replies. Knowing my interest in wildlife, she suggested to go out with Lewis Mackenzie of Hebrides Fish N Trips (reviewed separately). That was a fantastic day out.
The cottage is not detached but we never had any problem with privacy. Separate entrances and a big garden on our side to have fun with our new friend Riley the Border Collie. My daughters felt terrible to leave the cottage and missed Riley badly.
One can park the car right in front of the door. There are many things to do nearby. I did not walk the entire length of the trail to Bostah beach because of weather but I'm sure it'd be lovely. Bostah beach with its tidal bell is a very nice small white sand beach with rocks in the background and the iron age house to have a look.
Callanish standing stones and Carloway broch are also quite close. One afternoon sun came out nicely, wind died down and I quickly jumped into my car to take photos of the Callanish stones casting long shadows with no tourists walking into my shot.
Inside the cottage the décor is slightly old fashioned but warm and inviting. The living lounge was pretty big ( we even entertained my friends from Slovenia who were also touring through Hebrides) , dining table was big enough for 4 of us, bedrooms of decent size with firm bed and pillows and a modern bathroom. The electric shower force was pretty decent as well. The interior was warm even when the wind howled outside for several nights. The TV had usual free to air channels and could be hooked to the laptop with an HDMI. Some nice books to read as well. I particularly liked a guidebook by Francis Thompson which helped me to find interesting spots in the island.
The kitchen was well stocked and all the appliances worked fine. Ann had left some milk, biscuits and tea for us. She even had some spices in the cupboard to spice up my freshly caught mackerel !
The Wi-Fi is not too bad but unfortunately we went beyond the monthly allowance of 75 gigs which I believe happens to the guests staying towards the end of the month. But before I could ask for a top up Ann had already done that. There are no broadband cables here and it is actually radio broadband so one can't expect blistering speed but it was very much acceptable for usual stuff people need in the holidays.
Sadly I could not see the otter but saw plenty of evidence from the leftover of its meal. I did see an otter when driving the Golden Road. Some wading birds and a few buzzards as well closer to the cottage.
Ann's son Neil was very nice young man to chat with and I also met her husband who was an ex-ranger and helped me to ID some birds.
The best thing is the location , away from all the crowd but still not too far from some places with amazing scenic beauty. I strongly recommend a drive beyond Uig sands to the Mangustra beach and on a windy day the views were stunning. So was Butt of Lewis : mindblowing, excuse the pun as the wind literally was trying to blow the tourist away.
So overall a very nice stay , a perfect place to recharge the batteries.

bob s
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“What a lovely, homely remote base for exploring Lewis and Harris”
Reviewed 29 September 2017 for a stay in October 2015

We stayed here a couple of years ago in October. The house was cosy and had all the facilities. The Weir outside was fantastic and we saw otters. Iron age Round House at Bosta and I swam in the sea from Bosta beach in October. Great weather all week, great beaches at Uig and Luskantyre. Scattered villages bring Peter Mays " Lewis Trilogy" to life. Easy to imagine the Highland Clearances when you see the remains of Black house villages. The multitudinous sheep live on the narrow roads and them and the occasional Heilan' Coo make driving interesting. The house at Valasay was a great way to relax at the end of a perfect day of scenery and history. Bob Shaw Shellingthorpe Lincoln

Rhynchone...
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place for photography base”
Reviewed 12 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Lovely, clean and well supplied cottage that was ideally located as a base for landscape photography. All parts of the Islands are easily accessible from the cottage but the area immediately by is as beautiful as anywhere else you'll find on the islands.

Rogerr194...
Springfield, Oregon
“A delightful setting on the wild, Atlantic coast of Great Bernera.”
Reviewed 30 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

This was our second visit to Valasay, the first in the fall of 2006. The accommodation is warm and inviting with great views of the bridge to the Bosta Trail and surrounding island. We enjoyed the remote setting and easy access to great walking and good birding. Nearby Bosta Beach is simply stunning with its sandy beach, turquoise waters and rocky shoreline. Valasay was a good home base for exploring from the Butt of Lewis to the beaches of Harris. Anne & Chris are knowledgeable and helpful hosts as they were some eleven years ago. We'll return to this Hebridean gem

Spidey68
“Great views, walking and a wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

We just love staying here. The house is well equipped with all that you need. Comfy beds, wonderful bathroom and a lounge with a view of the bridge. The location is amazing. I spent hours admiring the views this property has to offer. Most of them were outside as we were blessed with gorgeous weather all week. One day it hit 26C in the late afternoon and evening.
We went to Bosta beach that day and I got a little sunburnt. Not something you expect to get when on these beautiful isles.
There is plenty to do: Scenic walks to the beached beyond, Segway tours in Stornoway, Callanish stones, Hebrides soap..... the list is almost endless.
We shall certainly be back again.
Thanks Anne

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing