“July 2008 Stay at Ramkota Watertown”

Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center
Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed 25 July 2008

My stay was marked with none of the issues noted in reviews dated prior to my stay, other than the lack of an elevator, which I didn't care about anyway. In some areas of the hotel, the hallways can be really warm and uncomfortable when the weather is hot. I'm not sure why that is, and since I was only in those areas long enough to get to my room, it really wasn't a big deal. The cable selection is indeed rather poor, but I wasn't sure if that is because it's all the local cable provider has to offer, or because the hotel is saving money on their package. Since watching television wasn't my main reason to be there, this was certainly not a plus, but it's not the end of the world, either. My room was clean, and everything worked fine. Front desk service can be spotty. At one point, I needed something from the front desk and found a sign saying that they would be back in a while. Not 5 minutes or anything specific, just a while. Or soon. or something like that. I waited "a while" and I finally ran out of time and gave up and left rather angry. Front desk people are often reading a book or something when you walk up, which you do not see in better hotels, but they do seem to put the thing down and address your needs promptly. The reason I gave this hotel an Above Average instead of Neutral is simply that Minerva's Restaurant -as noted by other reviewers- had very good food and service, and that set the Ramkota Watertown a bit ahead of some of its local peers.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank SnaphappyFishsuit
42039wtn, General Manager at Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2008

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Ramkota Hotel in Watertown. We do appreciate hearing directly from our guests and take the comments to heart. We continually strive to insure that each guest experience is enjoyable.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant. Minervas has a great reputation regionally as well as locally and we are very fortunate.

I wanted to address the issues you cited, our indoor atrium area and hallways outside the guestrooms was extremely warm when our rooftop ac unit was struck by lightning. This has been corrected and these hallways are much more comfortable. The atrium is one of the more popular areas of the hotel because of the live plants and comfortable seating areas.

You also mentioned the cable selections, we have the Lodgenet movie system in place which limits the number of cable channels that are available to us. We are currently exploring options that would give us more selections of both cable channels and movie variety.

Again, I would like to thank you for your comments and invite you to call me directly at (605)886-8011 if I can be of further assistance or if you are back visiting in our area. Enjoy the remainder of your summer!

Best regards,
Deb Stanley

There are newer reviews for Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center

Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at the Best Western for a weekend wedding. It was very convient since the wedding reception was held in the convention center right next door. The rooms for the weekend were an absolute disaster. From check-in to check-out I was ready to go back home. It started at check-in when we asked the front desk to check on the arrival of others in our party. The front desk agent just told us they didn't have a reservation. Come to find out from another agent a few hours later that the other members of our party had left a message that they were stuck at O'Hare airport and would be in the following morning (of course AT&T service does not really work well in Watertown). The grooms family held a welcoming reception and the staff working the reception was very nice and courteous.

Our rooms were a total disaster. The door handel was broken so the door would never close on it's own. We had to lift the door up to get it to lock. The pull rod for the blinds was just laying on the floor. The floor looked like it hadn't been vaccumed in a while, the desk chair was very badly stained, and the towels in the bathroom were badly stained. I don't understand why a housekeeper would put towels out with stains showing. The beds were not comfortable and cable selection at this hotel frankly sucks, not that that should matter but in Watertown, SD there isn't much to do so cable is kind of important. There was free High-Speed internet in the room which worked, but for some reason it blocked my remote access for work and wouldn't let me in.

After returning from the wedding we found the ice machine broken so we had no ice for the cooler that night or for the ride home. The beds were not made, and housekeeping left a note saying they couldn't make beds due to personal items on the bed, personal items being a stuffed animal and a textbook. The same stained towels were still hanging on the rack when we came back. I did ask to have the room recleaned and it was done after 6pm. Leaving the next day I readdressed the issues with the front desk agent (issues we had were already on file) he just shrugged his shoulders like he really didn't care and said he would let housekeeping know. I understand this is a small town and hotel selection is limited, but I would never dream of the service I got her in any city I normally stay at.

Also noticed that there is no elevator so any elderly or persons not able to do stairs will have to make sure they request a lower level room. With the wedding party we had many older relatives and were lucky to fit most of them on the lower level. I do recommend the bar and restraunt attached to the hotel. Service and food were both excellent!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
42039wtn, General Manager at Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2008

First, I would sincerely like to apologize for the delay in getting this response to you, I attempted to respond via the email envelope at the end of your comment and somehow failed at my attempt.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay and apologize for the problems you encountered from initially receiving messages to cleanliness and maintainence issues. I have shared your comments with each department and their respective staff members to show each of them how their performance or lack of has affected your stay with us. We work very hard to train all of our team and unfortunately the actions of some have an effect on the success of our entire organization. Please know that your experience is not the normal way we operate.

We take great pride in our staff and the Hospitality Plus Service awards that some of them have received. Along with our fellow Best Westerns we continually work on customer service skills for each and every staff member.

I understand your concern over the absence of an elevator. We do our very best to accommodate requests for first floor and make changes whenever possible if this was not mentioned at the time of the reservation.

I believe in our staff and I hope you would give us the chance to redeem ourselves and prove to you that your past experience was not how we operate on a daily basis. I hope you enjoyed the wedding weekend and your time with family and friends.

I welcome you to contact me directly at the hotel at 605-886-8011. Again, thank you for your feedback, it truly helps us measure our performance.

Deb Stanley

Reviewed 26 October 2007

This hotel is connected to a conference center, which I why I stayed here. Positive The exercise room is one of the best I've seen with an
eliptical, recumbent bike, treadmill and weight lifting machine. Although I didn't use it, the pool and whirlpool looked nice and spacious as well. This hotel is connected to a conference center, so it can be incredibly convenient. It's also on the "main drag" so you can easily get to shopping, the mall, restaurants, and the Redlin gallery - all just a few minutes away. Minerva's Restaurant is connected and the food is good.

Negative
On the first night, I discovered the toilet did not work. It was promptly fixed the next morning, but a dirty towel used to clean up the floor around the toilet was left on the bathroom counter. The bathroom tile floor had someone else's hair on it, and was sticky. I
asked to have the room recleaned, but didn't see any improvement afterward. After 3 days, I was still looking at lint and particles on
the carpet that were there when I checked in. I don't believe the floor was ever vacuumed that week. To be fair, some of my colleagues on the first floor did not feel their rooms were unsanitary.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business