“Average Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Phoenix, Arizona
“Average Hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This one of the older HI Express hotels I've stayed in. It's quite clean, but there are aspects that are still old and outdated. The TVs are the old analog style, the beds are not too comfy, and the shower head had many streams that were stopped up.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 December 2011

very good location. very good hospitality and cleanliness. The hotel right in the center of city, you can enjoy all different restaurant in the city(downtown). Lots of parks and drive mountain valley road in neighborhood,

Room Tip: Good location for summer vacation at rapid city
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Nebraska
Reviewed 1 November 2011

For the most part, this is a typical Holiday Inn Express. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, fairly large and comfortable. They also have free wifi in the rooms and a free breakfast. The disappointments were with checking in and the breakfast. I traveled on state government business, and I'm from a state different from South Dakota. When I made my reservation, I talked to the hotel by phone and asked if their low state government rate was available to me also. I was told yes. When I checked in, I was told I wasn't eligible for it, but they would give it to me anyway. They implied that I should have known that, and made it seem like I was trying to do something unethical. The second disappointment was the breakfast. They had the same items as other Holiday Inn Expresses, but the quality just wasn't there. If I were to go there again, I would eat breakfast somewhere else. I had dinner at the Colonial House Restaurant just across the highway, and it was very good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We picked this Holiday Inn Express as the location was convenient to leaving town on 16 and going to Mt. Rushmore, as well as family in the area we were visiting. It is a nice part of town close to churches and hospitals and convenient to restaurants and downtown. We have a family with 2 small children so we needed a bit more room and reserved the 2 Queen Suite for a bit more room. The room was absolutely huge! The pool area is quite large and nice with seating and a patio; great for families. The beds were only so-so comfortable and the decor probably needs an update, but the only true negative was the location of our room. It was on the second floor but looked directly out on the front portico and gas station across the street so our shades had to stay closed constantly. That said it was a servicable hotel and we would stay there for convenience again.

Room Tip: Pick a North or East facing room as there are nice views of sorrounding city and hills.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank junesflame
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The distinguishing feature of this HIE is, I'm afraid, its shabbiness despite seeming to be quite new. Maintenance appears to have a very low priority as is demonstrated straight away by the broken control buttons & filthy carpet in the elevator. We had a Jacuzzi room which also had an "open fire" (!) but, despite what is claimed on the website for all rooms, no fridge or microwave.
The tiles of the Jacuzzi were coming unstuck. Worst of all, at 3am the smoke detector started beeping because the back-up battery was dead - obviously no-one had checked it recently. I had to climb up & disconnect the alarm myself from the mains, with the night receptionist looking on.
Given that there are several similar new chain hotels nearby, I cannot see why anyone would choose to stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple