“Early October visit”

Kelly Inn and Suites Mitchell
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed 11 October 2017

My husband and I traveled to the Black Hills area for our anniversary. We were gone all week and on our venture home, we stopped for the night at the Kelly Inn & Suites. Reviews seemed ok, we were tired, hungry and it was getting late. I had decided to just walk in and take a room. Check in was slow...the people ahead of me needed a couple rooms as their car had broken down and was towed. Not the FD staffs fault. They will match any rate you fine on line for them, so the rate was decent. She told me that 2nd floor was full and 1st floor is for regular rate, so were got a room on the 3rd floor. Staff was not overly friendly :(.
We opened the door of our room to the smell of a room that had been smoked in for years even if it said it was non-smoking......again, I thought lets just settle in and run for some supper. My husband made a face when he smelled the room.
The walls are thin so I heard everything in the hall that night and had dozed off when I woke up to a smell that seemed like someone was smoking a cheap brand of cigarette right next to me. I tried everything to fall back asleep. Nothing worked...then I decided it must be the pillows, so I exchanged the 2 I had for 2 on the other bed. That did help, but I barely slept. The rooms are in need of major remodeling. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. Location was an easy in and out, but that is the only plus.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TamaraJP

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Just off I 90, this is a nice hotel with friendly staff, at a reasonable price. The hotel is well kept and clean. Our basic room included a refrigerator, coffee pot, and microwave. They offer a limited breakfast in the morning, with hot and cold entrees.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Patrick G
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

This motel definitely exceeded my expectations. It is beautiful on the inside with its huge stone fireplace & woodsy motif. Our room was large & very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was much better than continental. Great place to stay!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jodi H
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I think this hotel is getting close to needing some updates. We checked with three other local hotels and selected Kelly’s because it was slightly more expensive - reasoning that more might be better. I think most folks would agree the rooms are over priced. Our double bed was uncomfortably soft. I will check out another motel when I pass through this neat little town.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Dennisrl67
Reviewed 2 October 2017

After a long day of traveling, we decided to stop in Mitchell, SD for the night. We found Kelly Inn and checked in. The hotel itself has a rustic cabin décor - stone fireplace in the lobby. The staff at the desk were friendly and welcoming.
The room itself was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was convenient to several restaurants and gas stations.
The breakfast was tasty and there was something to please a variety of folks. Belgium waffles, cereals, fresh fruit, pastries, etc.
The only thing that was a negative to us were the thin walls. We could hear the folks next to us talking and laughing and because we were near the steps exit, doors slammed all through the night.
The hotel had a pool but we did not use it.
All in all, it was a clean and comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the steps exit.