“Be warned!”

Schmidt's Landing Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Stone City
Schmidt's Landing Resort
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I'm going to be 100% truthful so if you want "fluff" don't read this. I thought about this for months and decided I would be remiss to not post.
No matter when you book both Jim and Donna will tell you "that's our second busiest time of year". We believed them, but when we arrived there were only 3 units rented the entire week we were there. They may promise you a specific unit but you probably won't get it. They promised my dad the end unit as he has a heart condition and trouble walking, but when we got there they had already given it to someone else. The one bright side is the Walleye fishing. If big Jim says they are not biting...well they probably ARE biting. If he tries to sell you a lure it's not because fish are biting on that lure but more likely because he has a large stockpile of them for a kick back from the distributor. We caught fish--walleye, perch, bass, etc from the dock and from the boat on both worms and minnows. Never tried his lures-didn't need to! The water level was so low that using the dock for the boat was nearly impossible.
The rooms: the units are a nice size as far as that goes, but as a previous poster had mentioned they have a worn out couches and a flimsy table and hard bench. Neither the kitchen the bathroom nor the bedrooms have ANY storage or counter top for you to use so you end up living out of your suitcase which has to sit on the floor. The stove/oven is so small we had to cut the sides off the pizza to fit it in and one burner didn't work. If you are a coffee lover bring your own pot as theirs is a small 2-3 cupper. All of the appliances are small and the cheapest ever made. It just drives you nuts to not have any place to put any of your stuff in the kitchen or bathroom. The bedrooms each have a rock hard "full" sized bed and a folding chair. There is no dresser or closets, just a bakers rack type of deal to hang up clothes.
The walls are paper thin, if you sneeze the person in the next room WILL bless you so be mindful of your bedroom activities if you know what I mean!
The unit was clean and there are brooms, fly-swatters and a small vacuum supplied so you can do your own clean-up also which they encourage.
We were looking for a place to have a family reunion but I don't this is it. Love the fishing tho!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank lulu2
There are newer reviews for Schmidt's Landing Resort

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We visit Jim and Donna every year for the fishing opener. It is a great time. The fishing is good, and the hosts helpful. Can't wait to go back. It is a very well run campground and very well maintained. Yes there are rules just like any other resort but they are for everybody

Room Tip: we brought a camper
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We just got back from a week stay at Schmidt's Landing. Donna and Jim were excellent hosts and went the extra mile to make our stay enjoyable. The fisher people in our foursome were out every day in the boat that was provided in our package and, following Jim's advice on where to fish, caught a bunch. I mainly stayed around the cabin and on the grounds and read, but did go out a couple of times and caught 5 fish on my own. The cabins have all been completely remodeled, were clean and well maintained. Since they make it very clear in their brochure that if you are looking for a place to have a wild party, look elsewhere, it was a very peaceful environment and beautiful setting. We would highly recommend this resort.

1  Thank pattyg1123
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have been coming to Big Stone for 30 years. I have stayed w/ Jim and Donna around 13 of those years (2 this year). This was my first trip for my 10 year old son and it was an excellent one! The rooms have all been redone and the showers are great now! They put a lot of money into each of the rooms and they look fantastic. Not a place I would take my significant other because the bugs would swallow her whole but a wonderful fishing lodge. Caught a ton of fish and look forward to spring when I will return once again. Thanks Jim and Donna for making the memories fantastic.

Scott - Omaha

2  Thank scohansen
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We will never go back to Schmidts again.
Owners are very rude and overbearing.
Unblieveable!
Family members came to visit for about an hour, owners wouldnt let them stay even though we offered to pay $10 per person fee. What a sham.
Bigstone lake is the only thing they have going for them.

Room Tip: Go to a different resort!
3  Thank bruce z
19.8 km away
No photo provided
Lantern Motel
#2 of 3 in Milbank

Been to Schmidt's Landing Resort? Share your experiences!