“Great NON-GREASY catfish and shrimp”
Review of Southern Catch

Southern Catch
Ranked #10 of 127 Restaurants in Simpsonville
Price range: USD 7 - USD 13
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 24 June 2016

Seafood is not my first choice when going out to eat. I like it on occasion. This place is close to home and the sign out front had blackberry cobbler as the dessert of the day so that hooked me. The portions were plentiful, I loved the hush puppies and everything else was great too. There wasn't that "everything fried in the same oil" taste. The fried catfish and shrimp was not greasy at all. My wife and I had plenty left over, took it home and two of our grand-kids went crazy over the catfish. One will get shrimp when going out but doesn't care for fish, the other doesn't like seafood at all and both of them ate the pieces we took home and they raved about it. They said this is really good fish!!! I really enjoyed the food. The wait was not too long, I could tell the food was being prepared as it was ordered, way better than getting food that had been cooked earlier and was sitting under a warmer. I will highly recommend Southern Catch and will go back.

Reviewed 29 May 2016

Last night we saw on the news that there was a “Catfish Festival” going on in Ware Shoals. We started craving ‘Catfish’. Not wanting to drive 45 miles for a craving...we searched for something closer. We saw the reviews for Southern Catch in Simpsonville, and decided to make the closer 20 mile drive in hopes of finding some great catfish.

One of the reasons we were encouraged was a statement on the website about the owner being from Mississippi. Having lived there and experiencing the best catfish ever, our hopes were high.

The location is remote and the atmosphere simple. The staff was pleasant, unfortunately the food left a lot to be desired.

We ordered a Catfish platter and a Catfish Po-boy, both came with fries and cole slaw. The fries were a limp crinkle cut frozen product, underwhelming at best. Good catfish is firm and has a slightly sweet taste, what we received was mushy and tasted like mud. The breading was extremely dry and flavorless. I could not even finish it. The hushpuppies were the worst I have ever had, they were so dry and tasteless the only thing that made them palatable was the remoulade which was actually decent. Tea came with the meal, but soft drinks were $1.75 PER CAN!!

Having owned and spent many years in the restaurant business, I have unequivocally no problem paying for a good meal.
Ours wasn’t even a mediocre one.

Our total bill was just shy of $28.00!!
What a ripe off!!

1  Thank mfisher0721
Reviewed 27 May 2016

Food is cooked fresh to order and the shrimp tacos are delicious. I have tried the fried Jumbo Ship and they are good too.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

I moved here a short time ago and could not find a restaurant that served good corn meal battered catfish like I was used to getting in Tennessee. Tried 3 different restaurants to no avail. Asked friends and they could not help. Southern Catch is the place to go!!! Only negative thing is they are only open onThur Fri and Sat.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

For years I drove by this place because I thought it was take out only. That was my loss. It is small inside and very busy at prime eating times. But, it is worth the effort! The large shrimp are really outstanding. Excellent sweet potatoes can be substituted for freedom fries. The fried Jalapenos are crazy good but too filling, ( you need to be hungry for the entrees). We have always been to stuffed to try their deserts but they do offer some unique deserts that I'd love to try.