“Always looking for good BBQ, this one is not too bad”

Willie Jewels Old School Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 September 2018

We were in my hometown of Charleston and Wes always find a place for BBQ. We like to try new places from time to time and this place was on our list. It is located just down the street from Charleston Southern University in a little strip mall-like area. It is not hard to find.
The place is small. There are not a lot of tables but there were empty tables on this Saturday night. You go to the counter to order and then they bring your food. Service was good as we did not have any complaints. There were four of us so we tried the pulled pork and brisket and several sides. The pork was good, not great. It was a touch on the dry side. It tasted better when you put sauce on it. The brisket was also good but not great. It just did not have the greatest flavor. As for sides, the Mac and cheese was very good, the fries were ok, the collards were good and the cole slaw was ok.
For dessert we tried the banana pudding which was good.
Prices were about average for this type of restaurant. So, not overpriced but not a value either. So, would we return. I think we would probably try it again. As far as Charleston goes, Swig and Swine are still tops followed by Home Team.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We ate here a couple times for lunch. Prices are very reasonable but there isnt much table room. A lot of people do take out. Lots of sauces to try.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

Opted here for dinner on a Friday evening amidst a welcoming aroma of BBQ meats and ribs. My wife and I ordered the platters of sausage and pulled pork that were accompanied our choices of about eight sides offered. Meals were hot and delicious, as were the sides of beans and mac n cheese. Be sure to try the variety of sauces that you can select from the serving bar. Cold beers accompanied this feast and we will re-visit this place on future trips.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

This place is way better than a 4 on here. My family of three all agreed with a 5. Staff was friendly and seemed to like their job. The food was hot and not luke warm like you get at some BBQ places. My husband and I split the 3 meat platter and got brisket, turkey and sausage with Mac and cheese and fried okra with some toast. The okra was so crispy, delicious! The brisket was lovely and the sausage was so tender and juicy with great flavor. The BBQ sauces ( all four) were great. My daughter got the catfish to which we requested extra crispy and they delivered. She also got the pickle chips as a side and her comment was " I need these at my wedding someday" ( she loves fried pickles and wants a very southern wedding, haha) Anyway don't let the 4 stars keep you from trying it. It should be a 5!

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Located less than 100 yard walk across parking lot of Hampton Inn.
Walked in, placed order, sat down and had food in less than 10 minutes. I was greeted by staff soon as I was thru the door. The plates come with two sides- I chose baked beans and Mac n cheese.
They have several beers and sodas in a tub of ice at the counter so you can pick your iced drink as you order.
When they bring the plate you go put your own sauce on it- they have hickory, Carolina mustard, Carolina sweet and a couple others. I tried these three and they were all very good although I preferred the Carolina sweet.
Sides were good but not knock your sox off good.
I liked the pork- well shredded and no fat or other nasty parts or grease.
I'd go here again and would be a regular if I livd close by.