“Quiet and Clean”

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Nothing but good news here. Property is located in the back of a business park and during our week there I don't think we heard much of anything.
Clean, new, well maintained !
Free included breakfast was very nice.
Perhaps only downside is the VERY busy intersection at exit 209 of I-26. Getting to the property from the south could be slow at times.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

I want to thank you for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates, and I am happy to share with you that it means a lot to them to know that their efforts are recognized.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I love these hotels, they're a notch above my usual haunts. This one was brand new and it was great. It was super "modern", much more than I expected. The lobby looked more like a W or another "modern" themed hotel chain. The front desk folks were super nice and my room was fresh and crisp. One thing I don't understand, however, is that these are "suite" rooms with a separate bedroom area and an adjacent living and work space. There is a big flat screen TV right in the middle that you swivel depending on which room you're in. But, if you're there with someone else, you'd have to fight over the TV. That doesn't make sense to me. There should be a TV in each separate space instead of being forced to share just one. It's the only suite hotel that I've seen with this layout and for a few hundred dollars per room, I really they'd be wise to upgrade to having two separate TVs.

The bathroom is also separate and that's a very good thing in my opinion. Especially when you're likely to have more than one person in a suite type room like this. It had one of the simplest yet most handy things I've seen in a hotel: a little extra shelf above the sink. It was great for keeping things off of the sink surface to get them out of the way. I might add one at home; what a great idea that is. The bed was excellent as well.

The breakfast was great with little omlets and bacon, also real oatmeal (not packets), fresh fruit, breads and pastries, a couple of different brands of yogurt, milk, juice, great coffee and a big selection of Bigelow tea; a nice touch. And, shocker of shockers, the "hot" water in the airpot next to the coffee pots was actually hot! That's rarely the case in hotels, unfortunately.

I'd highly recommend this great hotel. There are a bunch of food choices in the adjacent area and downtown Charleston is about 15-20 minutes away by car.

Room Tip: I asked for a top floor room but got a ground floor room. Hmm.. that's never happened before...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments and details of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to share your comments with my associates, particularly because our hotel is not brand new, but almost 3 years old. It is very gratifying to see that our efforts are appreciated and make a difference in our guests travel experience.

Specifically addressing your TV comments let me share with you that we do have some of our larger suites that are equipped with 2 TVs. When building the hotel I had the same thoughts you did, that some guests might like 2 TVs instead of 1. SpringHill Suites are build to very precise specifications with every detail carefully thought out. I actually had to do a lot of convincing to be allowed to have 2 TVs in a few suites and to exceed some of the specifications, such as having 42” HDTVs instead of the specified 37”.

I regret to say however, that the 2 TVs was not one of my best ideas. It turns out that although we only have them in the largest of our suites, the layout of the suite is such, as to allow, one remote to operate both TVs simultaneous; not exactly a desirable outcome. The remotes use infrared light and it bounces unless precisely aimed, affecting the second set as well.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

visit was great - had good internet access, plenty of room and good breakfast. Very helpful staff, too. the disadvantage was only that the pool is very, very small.

Room Tip: take the front of the hotel - back faces a development with lots of screaming and noise at night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Other hotels can take some tips from Springhill's customer service skills. The staff at Springhill were great! They were genuinely nice and very accommodating. Although we had a small issue with our tub, staff immediately responded and made every attempt to ensure we were satisfied. The environment was warm and very inviting especially at breakfast. You will meet "Mama" there who will sing to you and guarantees to make your stay special.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

I want to thank you for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with Mama. She is indeed wonderful and actually somewhat of a hospitality legend among Charleston Marriotts, having been over the years the recipient of many awards, such as Marriott Award of Excellency, and South Carolina Hospitality Association “Lodging Front of the House Employee of the Year”. We are very fortunate to have her on our team and she is an inspiration to all of us.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Upon our arrival I was surprised at the niceness of the lobby and the room. The breakfast bar is not to get you full but the coffee is great and my family enjoyed it.. Mama aka ms Dorothy made breakfast pleasant.. I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments and details of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and in particular Mama.. She is wonderful and actually somewhat of a hospitality legend among Charleston Marriotts, having been over the years the recipient of many awards, such as Marriott Award of Excellency, and South Carolina Hospitality Association “Lodging Front of the House Employee of the Year”. In addition to her hotel work, she also does a lot of volunteer work, but the most outstanding feature about her is the joy with which she approaches everybody that crosses her path. We are very fortunate to have her on our team and she is an inspiration to all of us.