Message from TripAdvisor:

“Call hotel before trip”

Forest Dunes Resort
Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I booked my reservation for an ocean front room on the internet. I got a confirmation number and thought everything was fine. When I arrived, there was scaffolding along the front of the building. When I went to check in, the lady behind the counter said that management was supposed to have called and let us know that the ocean front rooms were under construction. I never received a call. My huband and I checked the room. The balcony was completely torn up (drywall leaning against the patio door); construction workers yelling (and obviously things were not going well by the number of curse words we heard) as well as loud banging and alarms from the hoist being used. The management did offer us a discount off the room so we decided to stay. At night time, it was ok. During the day, I had to stay out of the room or I would have had an Excedrin headache for sure.

If you have plans in March or April to go to this hotel, please call them first so you won't be disappointed. It is evident that they will not call you.

Haven't decided yet if I will return to Forest Dunes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Geraldine P

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We made our reservations months in advance and 4 days before our trip they call to tell us that our room wouldn't be finished so we had to go to another resort. When I called to talk with the manager, he told me not to blame them, it's not their fault and they are having troubles too because of this. He also told me that this has happened in the past and the other people were "thrilled" about having to go to the other hotel which, by the way, does not have the same amenities or the same ocean views that my original reservations had. We have been staying there for several years and he told me that I should be happy that all these years we've gotten such great value. Maybe............But we won't be staying there ever again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Gwen D
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

I would like to begin by thanking you for considering Forest Dunes Resort for your Myrtle Beach vacation. Unfortunately due to extenuating circumstances I understand that you did not stay with us. As previously stated you are aware that we are having some renovations done here at Forest Dunes. As much as an inconvenience as it is, it is necessary to keep Forest Dunes in the best possible condition it can be to keep the building up to the standards that our guests have come to expect. The company doing the construction has faced some delays as often happens when doing a project of this magnitude. That being said, when the staff received word from the construction company that your unit would not be complete in time, they notified you immediately. The resort that you were referred to is an oceanfront building with many more amenities than Forest Dunes actually has. I understand that all people are different and find different amenities to be more important to them, so I can see why this may not have worked for you. The staff at Forest Dunes attempted to handle this difficult situation for you the best way we could. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience that this obviously caused you and your family. We would really like the opportunity to earn your business back. If you would like to give us another chance please feel free to give me a call personally. Doug Piel 800-845-7787

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here for one night at a ridiculously low rate. The room/unit was absolutely amazing! 9th floor, overlooking beach and "strip". Full kitchen, living room with pull out couch, balcony, two bathrooms and a king bedroom. I still can't get over the price. Decorated beautifully and very very clean. Couldn't get my husband out of the hot tub and pools. Staff was fantastic. Will never stay anywhere else in Myrtle Beach. This property came recommended by a co-worker and she was right. BTW she stays here at least two weeks a year. She will catch a "cheap" flight to MB for a long weekend. She won't stay anywhere else either!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carole C
Darby D, General Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Darby Davis

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed at Forest Dunes for New Years Eve weekend. Not very impressed. The rooms seemed nice until you looked at everything closer and well, everything was pretty much old and rusty. I didn't want to ruin our weekend by complaining to get a new room because it would have most likely been the same as our room. The next day we woke up at 8am due to loud construction noise at the building, pretty inconvenient. On top of the room looking the way it did, we left the privacy sign on the door when we left for the day and when we returned, housekeeping had come in, they didn't take our old towels, but just put new ones and fixed the bed really sloppy. When we checked out, I had asked the front desk if they were supposed to do that and she said no. When I had explained that they had went in there, all she said was that she would talk to housekeeping. Not impressed!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MsSuze
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Thank you for your comments pertaining to your recent stay at Forest Dunes Resort. We wish we were perfect, but based on your comments it looks like we let you down. Please be assured that we strive to treat every guest the way we would like to be treated ourselves. We were surprised to read your comments, as these are not typical of Forest Dunes Resort. We wish you had brought this to the attention of a manager while you were here. We are not aware of any condos on our rental program that contain old and rusty furnishings. If we missed something like this, that condo would have been taken out of service until the necessary upgrades were performed. You would have been offered a move to acceptable accommodations and we would have made every effort to assist you with the move and make up for the inconvenience of moving. Pertaining to the construction, we make every effort to disclose the off season upgrades taking place and this disclosure is typically part of the reservation process. Finally, complaints pertaining to privacy signs are very rare here. Usually when this occurs it is because the sign is improperly hung with the service requested side showing. Our procedure is to remove any towel that is left on the floor. Otherwise we assume you are conserving energy by extending the use of your towels. Beds are typically made up unless personal belongings are left on the bed. Please email or call with your name or room number and we would be happy to investigate this complaint further. A Manager On Duty can be reached at MOD@ForestDunes.com, or call 1-800-845-7787 and ask for Doug or Teresa. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Great room with great views! Very clean and comfortable; a home away from home. Staff was great! We had rm 809 and it has been the best hotel experience we've had in a very long time.

Room Tip: The corner suites will not disappoint anyone!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple