Message from TripAdvisor:

“South Tower experience only”
Review of Ocean Creek Resort

Ocean Creek Resort
Ranked #44 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed in the South Tower last year. The unit was less expensive than the others and the decor was a little dated. The owner did put accurate pictures on VRBO so I cant complain - It was assumed thats why it was cheaper than other units. My only real complaint was that the kitchen was dirty. It was just easier to clean it myself and know it was done right than waste time causing a fuss. I did call the owner to let him know (actually the management co who represented to owner). He didnt offer to do anything about it but I was really calling to let him know - just in case other things came up or in case there was any problem with us getting OUR security deposit back. Keep in mind, you are paying a cleaning fee so you have the right to demand it be done, it just wasnt worth it for me. Other than that, the grounds are beautiful and the unit was what I expected.

I personally think some of these bad reviews are a little over the top - its not the Ritz. Its a nice family resort. ASK QUESTIONS before you arrive (especially if renting from an owner). Each unit it different. ASK about bath and beach towels, ask how many chairs/umbrellas are in the beach locker, etc dont wait till you get their and then complain. Honestly if the sheets are dirty, call the owner and tell them! Many times an owner will be very happy to have you run to walmart down the street and get new ones that youll be reimbursed for. Everyone is happy and it doesnt ruin your vacation! As someone who rents our own property in MA on VRBO as well as books our vacations through them, you shouldnt assume. Ask questions and plan accordingly and you'll have a great time! We are booking our vacation now to return.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank lisa h
There are newer reviews for Ocean Creek Resort

Reviewed 8 January 2012

The most important thing that you can do when preparing to go to ocean creek is book through a privet owner, as I'm sure you have read most reviews call this place great, or the worst place in myrtle beach. I have noticed that all the bad review come from those who have booked through the resort, not privet owners. I can not say a thing about booking through the resort since we use owners but what I can tell you is that I have never had a bad time at ocean creek in the 8 years I have been going.

I read a couple of reviews regarding the cleaning of the rooms, it is important to remember that this is not a hotel, it is a resort there are not people to clean your room daily or make your bed for you.

This place is beautiful and in such a great place, with Barefoot Landing right across the street, and a almost endless selection of restaurants it is hard to imagine going anywhere other then Ocean creek for my family vacations.

All in all if you read other reviews that say how bad it is, they probably used ocean creek to book them, but if you use a owner you will have found a great place to visit every time you find yourself in Myrtle Beach

Room Tip: The south tower is the best place to stay there. Use a privet owner to book your stay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Troy S
Oceancreek73, Front Office Manager at Ocean Creek Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Here at Ocean Creek Resort we offer many services that other rental companies on property do not. For example, we offer daily housekeeping service, and we also have a maintenance staff that is here every day of the week to offer any assistance. In the event of a lockout our front office is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year to ensure that our guest's needs be handled promptly. For our guests we also offer a work-out room located in one of our lodges. We have an array of fantastic units that we manage. Our Owner Relations Coordinator works very closely with our owners to make sure our units are up to our high standards. As a resort we hope that our future guests can experience what we do best at Ocean Creek Resort---Exemplary guest satisfation!

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I wouldnt stay anywhere else in MB other than Ocean Creek. Been coming here for 15+ years and yes, things arent as great as they used to be, but its still a great resort. I would never ever book through ocean creek itself though. Book through a private condo owner. There are some really nice condos that we have stayed in multiple times. The beach is really great, and safe at night for teenagers. There is a "swash" in the front of the condo so it feels a little more private and secluded because it only has a condo on one side. Speaking of this new monster condo, be careful of end units in the North Tower because they no longer have an ocean view. I have stayed in both towers but would recommend the south tower because the pool is better, Old people should stay in the north tower. It is also an easy (although sometimes hot and muggy) walk to barefoot landing across the street! I love that place. U can also drive but it can get busy in peak hours. but that goes for anywhere in MB!

Room Tip: DO NOT BOOK THROUGH OCEAN CREEK RESORT!! Book through a company of private condo owners. You get a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank WrmWthr
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My wife and I have stayed at the Ocean Creek Resort for almost 25 years. We are currently staying there (for 4 months) as SnowBirds. We love the location, the proximity to great bars, restaurants and shopping. It is located right on the beach and has direct access to US17, all of which we love.

Many of our friends and family come here for the same reasons, but despite our loyalty, Ocean Creek delivers poor and indifferent service. Simple problems do not get solved. Our 2 bdrm lodge unit lacks a few simple items. Without getting into petty details, and despite repeated telephone requests, our telephone calls are ignored. And we still have our issues.

We continue to love this place and, as difficult as it is to believe, we will probably come back. But, it will never, ever be with a booking thru Ocean Creek Resort itself. In future we will rent from a private owner or from someone else booking units. Our past experiences with Ocean Creek Resort and it's staff are over.

It is sad that such a good place could do such a bad job servicing it's guests.

Room Tip: Book with a private owner or with a rental agency.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Allan H
Oceancreek73, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Creek Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2011

Thank you for staying at Ocean Creek for the last 25 years! We value our customers and want each and every one to have a great experience with us. We take guest satisfaction seriously, and every time we are informed of a guest problem or issue we take immediate action to make sure the problem is corrected. Again, thank you for patronizing us for the last 25 years. We hope you decide to stay with us for 25 more years of great memories.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I have stayed in 3 bedroom condos in the Ocean Creek towers twice over the last two years for a group golf outing organized thru Ocean Creek. The first year I thought maybe the condo we got was an aberration. It looked like it had not been touched since the 1980's when it was first built. Grimy old teal green carpet, old furniture and fixtures, old kitchen and baths. This year, the unit we got was even worse, which I did not think possible. In addition to everything being OLD, it was not well maintained or clean. The refrigerator was rusted out on the side that was visible. Gross old furniture, dirty walls, floors and baseboards. The shower fixtures were gross and rusted. Even the balcony furniture was moldy and disgusting. I will never again sign up for this golf outing so long as they stay at Ocean Creek. The facility is tired and management should not put guests in substandard condos until the owners pony up for major updates. It's a shame because the resort is in a lovely setting and has one of the best stretches of beach on the Grand Strand.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends