1,430 results
All reviewsrooftop poolfree breakfastlazy rivermurphy bedevery morningliving roomhot breakfasthot tubbreakfast stafffull kitchenocean viewpools were cleanspring breakoceanfront roomvacationmbtubs
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

I wish I would have also believed the negative reviews! My family and I traveled to Myrtle Beach, SC for a mini vacay. My cousin was responsible for booking our stay. She came across Monterey Bay hotel and was amazed at the location, the price, and the fact that it was oceanfront sealed the deal! The website showed this was an excellent, clean, modern hotel! I booked instantly!

Prior to our arrival she called the hotel twice to confirm reservations since we were traveling in a large group. We didn’t want any problems upon arrival. She reserved one family queen suite and two additional rooms.

My family and I arrived a day before the rest of the family and I was upset immediately! My room was dirty, the tub was filthy, the room smelled horrible!

When the rest of my family arrived they too were disappointed immediately!

The front desk area had a horrible smell!! The elevators were slow. Several times during our stay we ran from one elevator to catch the other. Outside our room door smelled like urine! The floors were dirty! We purchased our own cleaning products and decided to clean the room to our standards.
The furniture in the rooms were old and did not have matching pieces! The curtains need cleaning as they were filled with dust/dirt! The room did not have a fresh clean smell! We also purchased air fresheners! Paint was peeling off the wall and the ceiling! The first floor in the garage flooded! The Security Guard told us. “Don’t be surprised if you don’t have any water in your room!” The coffee pot was dirty! Cigarette burns on the furniture!

What was most disappointing was that during my booking, we reserved a Family Queen Suite. When ww arrived, they had given us two separate rooms. My cousin called down to the front office and spoke with Gina. She says, “There is nothing I can do. The family suites are not promised and I will reprimand the person that booked your reservation.” She explained to her the website gives the option to book the family queen suite verses a single room; it was not optional. She replies, “We don’t control our website.” This did not go well. She was not apologetic nor did she seem to be concerned. The conversation escalated and she asked for the District Manager. She did not give me his number but said she would call him to see what could be done. She never returned my call so I called 20 minutes later and she offered 15% off our stay. She also mentioned we could leave and be given a full refund. We found that to be disheartening knowing every place in Myrtle Beach was likey booked up for the weekend!

We stayed but did not enjoy our stay at this hotel. We made the best of it because our family came together. We will never ever stay here again!

I would not recommend staying here ever! My car is cleaner!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle A
Monterey B, Guest Relations Manager at Monterey Bay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We regret you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We wish you better experiences in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Stayed at the Monterey Bay the week of July 4th with three adults from ages 30 to 70.

-Price: very reasonably priced ocean front hotel.
-Atmosphere: The pools are full of kids living their best life. Beach is a short walk with ample space to spread out.
-Room: Had the chance to stay in two different rooms (by choice - I booked in two separate reservations). The second room was a lot cleaner than the first but both weren't too bad. Level your expectations going in - bring your own wipes if you like things spotless. The room itself was huge. We made the living room into a separate bedroom with the Murphy bed creating a lot of privacy.
-Included Breakfast: The staff was amazing and full of life.
-Area: awesome! quick uber ride to all of the attractions (parking always sucks and so does drinking and driving). There is a great tiki bar two hotels over with a great priced lunch. Sam's Corner (1 mile away) is open 24 hours and has great diner food.

For those giving horrible reviews - reminder - you get what you pay for. This place is one of the lower rates you can find and not the worst I've stayed in in the area.

Room Tip: Level your expectations on cleanliness.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for you honest review of your stay with us and glad you have a good vacation. We hope to see you again soon.

Safe travels,
Monterey Bay Suite

Reviewed 6 August 2018

We stayed in a queen suite on the 9th floor. The view was amazing, however the room left alot to be desired. The pictures on the hotel website made this place look amazing. This place needs LOTS of work. The corners of the room were really dirty. The blanket had a cigarette burn even though all rooms are supposed to be non smoking. Front desk was wonderful about replacing the blanket, but I had to go to the desk to get a new one. They apparently do not have housekeeping on staff at night. The oven was really dirty, along with the pan that was stuck in the oven. The coffee pot was dirty..I bought plastic utensils, plates, and bowls for us to use because I didn't want to hand wash everything in the cabinets. The parking structure was difficult getting into and out of. There was very little room to maneuver around poles.
On a positive note, the continental breakfast was wonderful! All the staff that we came in to contact with were nice and helpful. The pool area was really clean except for the baby pool with the sprinklers..the water in it was brown.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

We regret that you had a so so stay with us. Did you report any of the issues to a manager during your stay so that we could have a chance to make your stay better? We hope you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I wish I would have believed the negative reviews! My family and I traveled to Myrtle Beach, SC for a mini vacay. I was responsible for booking our stay. I came across Monterey Bay hotel and was amazed at the location, the price, and the fact that it was oceanfront sealed the deal! The website showed this was an excellent, clean, modern hotel! I booked instantly!

Prior to our arrival I called the hotel twice to confirm reservations since we were traveling in a large group. I didn’t want any problems upon arrival. I reserved one family queen suite and two additional rooms.

My cousin and her family arrived a day before the rest of us and she was upset immediately! Her room was dirty, the tub was filthy, the room smelled horrible! When we arrived I too was disappointed immediately! Driving our SUV into the parking garage was a challenge! The area where the front desk was smelled horrible! The elevators were slow. Several times during our stay we ran from one elevator to catch the other. Outside our room door smelled like urine! The floors were dirty! Old food was left on the microwave door! Food was left in the sofa! The furniture in the rooms did not have matching pieces! The furniture in the rooms are old! The curtains need cleaning! The room did not have a fresh clean smell! We all purchased air fresheners! Paint was peeling off the wall and the ceiling! The first floor in the garage flooded! The Security Guard told us. “Don’t be surprised if you don’t have any water in your room!” The coffee pot was dirty! Cigarette burns on the furniture! Yet, after seeing this my cousin agreed my room was better than hers.

What was most disappointing was that during my booking, I reserved a Family Queen Suite. When I arrived, they had given us two separate rooms. I called down to the front office and spoke with Gina. She says, “There is nothing I can do. The family suites are not promised and I will reprimand the person that booked your reservation.” I explained to her the website gives the option to book the family queen suite verses a single room; it was not optional. She replies, “We don’t control our website.” This did not go well. She was not apologetic nor did she seem to be concerned. The conversation escalated and I asked for the District Manager. She did not give me his number but said she would call him to see what could be done. She never returned my call so I called 20 minutes later and she offered 15% off our stay. She also mentioned we could leave and be given a full refund. I found that to be disheartening knowing every place in Myrtle Beach was likey booked up for the weekend!

I would not recommend staying here ever! My car is cleaner!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2018

This was our second year here we just loved the first year but this time the experience wasn't as good. The rooms were good, not as clean as I had hoped. The breakfast was okay this year not as good as last year. Our biggest issue this year was the pool area. We stay for 8 days and every day at the pool someone dropped something from the balconies above. I had sand on me, someone spit on me. Food dropped garbage dropped, eggs dropped onto the surf shack and nothing was ever done about it. They truly need someone around the pool. I couldn't read due to the balls and toys and the splashing, there was no respect for those that wanted to relax.

1  Thank Laurie M

Thank you for staying with us a second time and informing us about some of the issues you came across. We will address these and hope that you will give us another chance to make your next vacation stay perfect.

Happy Travels