“Worst Hotel Ever”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We booked this because friends were staying there and with full knowledge of its reputation. We were not disappointed. The bathroom in our first floor room had been cleaned for the most part, but the rest of the room had not been touched in a long time. I am not a clean freak but got cleaning solution from the front desk and cleaned the room for 15 minutes before putting anything down. I never did unpack, the room was damp and musty, sheets were grainy (probably undissolved detergent), generally very uncomfortable. We had asked if any oceanfront rooms were available and were told no. When we inquired/complained the next day, one was suddenly available. We moved upstairs where the room was a little cleaner, less musty. The view of the beach from the peeling balcony is great. Bottom line is do not even consider this hotel if an oceanfront room is not available and then only if nothing else on the beach is available. We saw many other hotels with vacancies advertising a lower price than we paid and which had to be cleaner. Let me add that my hairdryer (they have none in the rooms) burned out when it sparked as I plugged it in. Let's just say that this was an experience, but once was enough.

Room Tip: oceanfront if you must but preferably another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kem506
There are newer reviews for Viking Ocean Front Motel

Reviewed 6 September 2011

My sister told me about all the bad reviews this hotel recieved on trip advisor, so I was annoyed at her and apprehensive about what I would find when I got there. BUT I had a very enjoyable expierience at The Viking! For the price you can't ask for more, its perfect. The ocean access was splendid. I saw no mold or bedbugs anywhere! The staff was friendly and VERY helpful! About the only thing you could find wrong about it was that there was no wifi, but that wasn't a big deal. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank jb_hendu
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I didnt think the Vicking motel was going to be the best place to stay since I had read some of the reviews, but it was cheap and close to the beach so I couldnt be disappointed, Big mistake. The Vicking motel is the most discusting place I have ever been to. The smell of mold and cigarettes overwhelms the whole place. Cigarette burns everywhere. Looks like it hasnt been remolded in 30 years. I didnt even stay 10 minutes it was that bad, I ended up going to the Best Western across the street and had an amazing time there. I wouldnt stay at the Vicking hotel even if it was free, it is honestly that bad. If you like your hotel to be clean and enjoyable then the Vicking hotel is not for you, if you want to stay in a cheap discusting place that looks like a crack house then the Vicking hotel is perfect for you!

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and stay anywhere other then the Vicking motel, it's that horriable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

upon entering our room, the smell of marijuana hit us all. i was traveling with my 17 year old daugther, 14 year old niece, and my 1 year old baby girl! there was mold in the rooms and bathroom.

the maid service was horrible, after "cleaning" we had no extra toliet paper and we were left to make our own beds. rust and mold were on the ac unit, above the beds.

parking was horrible.

after requesting a bottom floor due to my baby having seizure, we were still given a room on the fourth floor.

i wouldn't recommend this hotel to a transient.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ddd210625
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed 7/15-7/17. Let me start off by saying that my family is not picky and we usually stay in cheaper hotels when we travel. I figured being in Myrtle Beach, we wouldn't be in the room other than to make a sandwich, shower, and sleep so the cheaper the better. Well let me tell you - this place was horrible. Upon walking into the front office, you are greeted with a horrible musty smell and the RUDEST staff. If you are under 25, there is a $50 cash security deposit per person. You are given your room key and told to go to your room and fill out a inventory sheet of all the utensils, glasses, towels, etc and list any damage in your room. You must fill this sheet out within one hour of check-in or they can keep your security deposit.
The rooms have a strong musty odor, the carpet is filthy, and the bathtub is stained. I would not use the utensils and cups they provide - they're gross. The water pressure is crappy and goes from warm to scalding hot repeatedly. On a positive note, the sheets were clean and the beds were comfy. The TV works great and the AC blows cold. You are right on the beach surrounded by nice hotels. There were plenty of children and the area seemed safe. The hotel is located right next to the Best Western Grand Strand.
There are about 15 parking spots along the side of the hotel --- the rest of the guest must park across the street. The walk across is 50 feet so it was no big deal.
The pool is decent sized but has a lot of muck in a couple spots. Not too many people used the pool. I found it to be just fine for a quick dip.
I talked with some other guests who said they would never stay again. They had the same complaints about the check in staff and the musty odor.
I personally would never stay here again. I would work a couple of extra shifts to stay in a nicer hotel. And by the way, the hotel owners/managers must not care about this property because these complaints have not been addressed ... look back in the reviews for this property. How terrible.

• Stayed: July 2011