“Awesome place with neat history!”

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I visited here with my family and we all had a great time (kids range 4 to 10). The carrier is by far the best part. We spend over half a day touring the Yorktown. The kids had a blast. There was so much of the ship to see plus neat planes on exhibit and even one the kids could climb into. There was also the Apollo 8 experience which was super fun. The Laffey destroyed was also very interesting and humbling. It is amazing to see the sacrifices made by the young men on board the Yorktown and the Laffey. All I can say is wow and I can say I don't see how you can walk away without a sincere feeling of gratitude for what these young men did for our country. The submarine was neat to go through as well and gave a interesting perspective of what close quarters these sailors had to endure. The outside is in a bit of decay but the inside is preserved pretty well. If you're in Charleston I'd highly recommend paying a visit to this place!

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Jon H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,882)
All reviews
in 168 reviews
"sticky fingers"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We went here for an overnight stay (2 nights) with our cub scout pack.

There was an age minimum to stay on board overnight so just my husband and son were allowed to stay overnight. My two daughters (4 and 5) and I had to stay at a hotel nearby.

I did get to see the women's sleeping area and it was not bad for the type of camping it was. I really liked how the sleeping areas were not far down into the ship. They are on the main level so carrying all your stuff to where you are staying really isn't that bad. The overnight campers get to park in the parking overflow area so you are closer to the pier.

One of the younger kids working at the parking pass booth was really rude and seemed very inconvenienced by anything and everything. I wish we would have gotten his name.

There is a lot to do and see at Patriots Point. I feel like it is definitely a full day type of event (getting there early and staying til closing) for those who are not overnight campers. I liked how there was many places to get food and snacks too. It wasn't just in one location where you had to walk a long distance. There were several bathrooms in the area too.

We also went on a ferry ride through the Charleston Harbor. It lasted about an hour and a half and they had snacks upon the ferry as well. The kids had a lot of fun feeding the seagulls off the back of the ferry.

There were many dolphins in the harbor too which my kids loved seeing.

There was an elevator on the ship for those who were in wheelchairs or for families with small children. There are a lot of steep stairs on the ship. Our 4 and 5 year old didn't have trouble once they got the hang of going up and down the stairs but they definitely are not for everyone.

There is a submarine you can go inside too. It is harder to maneuver around in.

The food we received on ship (the food that was part of the overnight camping stay) was not bad. My husband said the breakfast was kind of "meh". I did have one of the dinners though and it was bbq pulled pork and bbq chicken, green beans, mac and cheese, a roll and a cup of ice cream. It was plenty of food.

Overall this was a very fun experience, especially for our children.

1  Thank CappsFamily
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first time on the Navy ship and we were so amazed! There is so much to do and a really awesome experience overall. Definitely worth the price. Beware there is a lot of walking and stairs. My young children loved it and walked out wanting to fly planes when they grow up lol

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is the second aircraft carrier I have brought my kids to see. This one was the best! Kids had a great time going through all the passageways and sitting in the captain's chair.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018

3 separate ships to view with one ticket price - aircraft carrier, destroyer and submarine. All are worth seeing and make sure you see the video about the USS Laffey on this destroyer. Makes you appreciate the Navy. If you have trouble walking though this might be a challenge as you have to climb steep, narrow steps on the ships. But if you can do it, it is well worth it to see what the conditions were like for those who served on these ships. Could easily spend a whole day here if you were to see everything. We didn't do all the tours on the aircraft carrier. Submarine doesn't take long at all. All are self guided tours by following tour markers.