“It's a saloon”

Hemingway's Saloon
Ranked #43 of 86 Restaurants in Irmo
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed 29 November 2016

I reviewed Hemingway's about 5 years ago when it was in another location in the same shopping center. Not much has changed except it is a lot bigger, and the windows are clean. More importantly, you have to go to the outside patio area to smoke. It is still seat yourself and it is still no frills and very boisterous with the video games, TVs, pool tables, and loud shouts of encouragement or derision based on how the video games were going. We visited on a Monday night about 5:30 and the men outnumbered the women by about 10 to 1. A friend recommended the wings there so that's what I ordered: Lemon Pepper at the suggestion of the waitress. As with every other wing place that I have ordered Lemon Pepper wings from, they were neither Lemony nor Peppery. What they were, were salty. Oh my goodness. I have never had such salty food in my life except when it was a mistake. And I love salt. I put it on everything. The wings were cooked very well, and I could tell I probably would have enjoyed them had I ordered another flavor. Now my husband. My husband loved his wild something something chicken sandwich and the potato salad. I tasted the potato salad and it was indeed very good. He cannot stop talking about the place (the food) and wants to go back ASAP. He would give the place 4 1/2 stars. I would give it a too early to tell benefit of the doubt 3 stars. So consider this a 3 1/2 star review. In reading some of the bad reviews between the lines, I would recommend going there early as apparently they have to throw people out for drunken rowdy behavior from time to time. But Hey, it is a saloon, right?

Reviewed 9 January 2016

This is no longer the dark, dingy, smokey place that some reviewers found so unappealing. In early 2015 Hemingway’s re-opened in a new location in the same shopping center, and now it’s more welcoming by several orders of magnitude. The place is new and clean, the service is friendly, smoking isn’t permitted inside, and there is a patio seating option. As in the past, Hemingway’s is still primarily a neighborhood watering hole with regulars seated at the bar. There are several pool tables as well as the usual batch of flat screens. Drink prices are quite reasonable and happy hour is set at a liberal 4:00-8:00 every day. There are a few craft beers on tap (I liked the Sweet Josie Brown Ale). I haven’t tried the food here, but I plan to do that next time.

Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

This is your typical locals bar. Karaoke night is fun. Staff is friendly and drink prices are very reasonable. I would go back especially now that it's in the new location.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Dark, dreary, dingy and smelly. If that's what management has as their target atmosphere ~ they nailed it.
What's odd is, my wife and I are smokers, we kind of like dark bars and clubs but this place is too much. It is safe to say we wont be back. Service was iffy at best and the novelty of being allowed to smoke in a bar wore off after about 5 minutes. I think 2 or three more washings and the clothes were wearing in this unventilated hole just might come clean.

1  Thank Marty R
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I swear I saw them spit in my drink and food. The place is teeming with racists. They're racist. I'm an Asian.

1  Thank 518Dancer2013

Been to Hemingway's Saloon? Share your experiences!