“Great guide and boat, he worked hard to get us on fish.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Off The Hook Fishing Charters

Off The Hook Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Come fish the beautiful inshore waters of the Lowcountry with Captain Brian Vaughn and Byron Sewell both natives of Hilton Head Island with over 25 years experience guiding inshore, offshore, light tackle and fly fishing charters. You will be fishing on a brand new 2014 Egret flats boat or 22ft. Pathfinder bay that can accommodate up to 4 passengers. These boats are equipped with only the finest fly, spin and conventional fishing tackle. Sight fish for redfish year round on the beautiful flats and estuaries of Hilton Head & Beaufort. Target other species including tarpon, cobia, sharks, spanish mackerel, speckled trout and many more on a seasonal basis. During your charter view dolphins and many other species of wildlife. Whether you're a beginner or an expert let us take you fishing and share our wealth of knowledge acquired from an entire life on and around Hilton Head Islands waters. We are very dedicated to making every trip a safe, productive and a memorable experience for our clients. Fish with OFF THE HOOK FISHING CHARTERS and experience one of the best inshore, light tackle & fly fishing guide services in South Carolina!
“Great guide and boat, he worked hard to get us on fish.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My son & I fished 2 days in mid March, Brian had us on lots of red fish both days.
We fly fished and used his Sage 9 wt.
We both were rusty from the long winter, Brian was quite patient with us til we got our casts back.
Brian is a great guy, very knowledgable, nice clean boat. I would definitely go with him again!!
Jack Swanson
Menasha, Wi

McAllen, Texas
“Great trip with Capt. Brian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I took my nine year old son out fishing with Capt. Brian and we had a great trip. We had little wind, but no sun...and it was raining on us. However, Capt. Brian put us on big numbers of reds and we were able to land some. We had some luck on fly and my son fooled one with a spoon. Capt. Brian was very accommodating...he was extremely knowledgeable of the flats and we were on fish the entire trip. His equipment was like new and his Egret flats boat was spotless...a true sign of a good captain. I will definitely fish with him again.

Visited March 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“He doesn't need the Super Market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

When most of us go to the Super Market for fish....we work our way past the crackers, dog food and beef. Then, we work out way to the type of fish we want.

Brian gets in his boat.....stands up on the back end....looks out upon the water for, to him, the darker areas...........and B I N GO !!!! He found 'em.

I have never met a guide with more confidence and ability. Fire up the grille, set the table, and be ready to eat. Brian Vaughn knows his stuff !!!

Visited March 2012
Fairfax, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great to catch fish but limited reel time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went out on Dec 19th with Brian and had a nice day. He knows where to go to catch fish "Inside Shelter Cove" we caught some nice fish. Or should I say Brian caught the fish and we just reeled them in. I'll try to explain...1) you need to cast about a foot off the rocks and without a lot of practice the average person can not do this well. So right away the pole is pretty much taken out of your hand. Once he casts where he wants them then either the fish will bite and then you reel them in. After catching some red drums we headed out to do some site fishing. Well if you never did site fishing then it is hard. Brian expects everyone to know how to sight fish. Again, we watched Brian do a lot of casting and I think we caught one or 2 more fish. I realize there is a sience to fishing but if I'm paying for it then let me do the fishing....We did see some dolphins and one came right up next to the boat which was pretty cool. All in all it was a pretty good day just wish we could have been the ones fihing...

Visited December 2011
2 Thank mwhitvt
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
I appreciate your comments and review. In response to your review... as Captain and guide I try to do everything I can to help my clients catch fish. At certain fishing spots I do prefer to cast for my clients to show them exactly where the fish are especially spots with rocks. I am only trying to help. As far as sight fishing goes I usually explain to my clients what to expect and yes it will be hard if it is your first time. Once again I only cast to help show the client how and where to cast and how to present the bait or lure to the school of fish especially if you do not see them. My clients at anytime are free to fish on their own 100% All you had to do is let me know.
I sincerely apologize for assisting in the case of our fishing trip and did not mean to make the trip unpleasant for you. Hope I can make it up to you.
Buffalo, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Fishing Guide for Hilton Head Island Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Was in Savannah, GA to speak at a conference and had a free day to do some fishing. Found Captain Brian's excellent website (http://www.offthehookcharters.com/) by searching Hilton Head fishing charters and booked a four-hour inshore charter with him. During wintertime, Captain Brian offers a four-hour charter for the price of a three hours, which was nice. Captain Brian checked the weather and tides and called me back to let me know when the best time for us to go fishing on my two free days would be. Not all charter captains book trips based on when it would be best for their customer to catch fish, but Captain Brian did. Was well worth the 50-minute drive from Savannah to Hilton Head Island.

Most people might not consider February to be an excellent time for inshore fishing, but Captain Brian's extensive knowledge of the waters and fishing hotspots around Hilton Head Island enabled us to find a school of redfish at our first spot. A few casts into our trip and our first redfish was on the boat. My sore shoulders and forearms can attest to the number and size of the many redfish we landed yesterday. Captain Brian's boat is spacious and steady for casting. Had a blast.

I have fished all around the US with many guides and can highly recommend Captain Brian for inshore fishing in the Hilton Head Island area. I will be in Savannah for another conference in the fall and plan on fishing with Captain Brian again.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Roy M
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Roy,
Thanks for the kind words!
Great fishing with you look forward to getting you back out in the Fall!