“How do you know if a community values art?”

Greenville County Museum of Art
Ranked #24 of 103 things to do in Greenville
Reviewed 6 April 2018

You know if a community values art if the community makes art available to everyone. The Greenville County Museum of Art is free. Free, free, free. It is free! And amazing.

Paula A, Public Relations Manager at Greenville County Museum of Art, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thanks so much for your review! We have lots of great exhibitions planned for later this spring and summer, so I hope you are able to visit again. Also, don't miss our Fine Art + Flora weekend, April 21-22. Also free!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"small city"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Overall this is a very nice museum with an excellent collection set in a gorgeous town.

They have a very strong large collection of Andrew Wyeth's, and during our visit they were showing a large collection of Jamie Wyeth's as well. That along with a great group of Southern artists and art make for a very pleasant day.

One small downside was an almost complete lack of benches in viewing areas. Much more annoying was the almost total lack of information on any of the individual paintings other than the medium used. There are one or two placards in each viewing room with basic very general info for a group of paintings, but each piece of art had no info other than exhaustive lists of donators. I know many who give love to see their names shown, but a few large placards for donors may make a lot more sense, or as a minimum give us info an the artist and painting. It makes any museum visit much more enjoyable.

Thanks so much for your kind review. We appreciate your feedback regarding information in the galleries. We always encourage visitors to really look at the art and arrive at their own conclusions, and, of course, many guests use their smartphones to access additional information on artists and artworks from the GCMA website or other sources. I'm so glad you enjoyed our permanent collection exhibitions and hope you'll visit again if you're in the area.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

My husband and I recently visited the museum. The staff that greeted us at the door were very friendly, however that was the only staff person that did not treat us like common criminals. We were followed around by security from room to room, received glaring glances by staff members stationed within the rooms, and we were nothing but respectful to the venue. I am in venue management myself, and it is easy to train staff to protect your venue while making it a pleasant experience for all. It is so important for the general public to appreciate and value a love for the arts in order for museums to survive. It is a shame that so many folks are leaving comments about the lack of customer service from many months and years ago, and yet there is no change in process.

3  Thank msoprano77
Reviewed 18 February 2018

My wife and I enjoyed our rainy day visit to the GCMA. It has the feel of a modern art museum with large, basic white spaces amenable to a variety of exhibits and ages. We were greeted by a pleasant docent and found the gallery aids helpful in answering questions about the collections. Having grown up in Pennsylvania, we particularly enjoyed the Wyeth pieces which reminded us of the Brandywine River Museum near Philadelphia where more of his works are exhibited. Dave the Potter was also an intriguing exhibit. There was a children's group visiting as well, and I'm glad to see the kids exposed to fine arts these days. No digital games or TV here, just creative art to stimulate dreams. The museum shop was small, but browse-able. If I had one recommendation it would be to add a few more padded benches in the galleries where visitors could sit to enjoy a favorite painting, sketch, or just take a load off your feet. (P.S. - we parked for free behind the history museum instead of using the lot beyond the museum.)

GCMA_SC, Public Relations Manager at Greenville County Museum of Art, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a review. We frequently rotate our Wyeth works both to protect the art and to ensure a fresh experience for visitors, so only about one fourth of our holdings are on view typically. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you will return again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Took my children for an impromptu field trip. The place was clean, the staff was kind of friendly. I really enjoyed the Wyeth collection and was delighted to see some of his family's paintings.
The only con was that I felt very uncomfortable while visiting. There was a question about whether or not I could bring my Kavu bag in as apparently it's sort of a backpack. Thankfully I was allowed to keep it but was required to carry it on one shoulder. Nevermind that another woman carried her backpack in a roll cart around the museum. ???
My children were with me (and being uncommonly good even for my children) and I was asked that my son not run. I did not see him run one time. Maybe I missed it. The rest of the time we were there I felt like we were being followed around by security as if we were some art criminals casing out the joint. I have to say it sort of ruined it for us.

1  Thank April C

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. Our security staff is trained first and foremost to surveil the galleries and protect the artwork, but their intent is never to make visitors feel uncomfortable. I hope you will visit again. Several new exhibitions are opening this spring, and you can always join one of our Third Thursday or Sundays at 2 tours (both free) to learn more.