“Great hotel would stay again”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Florence
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Forest, Virginia
“Great hotel would stay again”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed on our way home from.florida. Was pleAsantly suprised! Very clean modern and comfortable. Breakfast was awesome! Real eggs sausage biscuits. Delish! Would stay again!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed for 1 night, king room, non smoking. Average, moderate price hotel. Room was spacious and clean (however the carpet could use cleaning, some stains). Flat screen TV. Lobby and eating area look very nice and spacious. Breakfast was good with lots of selections.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
connecticut
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Okay for an overnight stay

We found this place through Priceline and happy we got the discounted rate. When we checked into our room, the bathroom smelled like cigarette smoke  It seemed to be coming in from the ceiling vent perhaps from the floor above.  Either that or someone smoked in the room despite it being a non-smoking room. Our bathroom sink also didn't drain well, and we were awoken by the next-door shower in high pitched squeal. Had it not been so late when we checked in, we would have requested another room.

Continental breakfast good and the lobby area and breakfast space very nice and welcoming. The afternoon desk associate also very friendly.

Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Having stayed in this hotel numerous times with my family over the course of the last several years. I have even gone so far as to personally recommend the hotel to friends, but no more.

We arrived at the hotel around 7pm after a long day of driving to find the front office person to tell me that despite what I had been told on the phone, they would not accept the coupon that I presented and that I would have to take it up with the manager (who was not present). Next, we were assigned a room with a king bed (I had a reservation in hand for 2 queen beds). The clerk told me that my reservation was for a king but that she would take care of it. She then gave us another room. This room was so filthy, that when the security guard went inside to clean it, he audibly gasped. Room number three had already been given to a guest, who was understandibly shaken by us trying to get into the room. Finally, we were given a room which smelled like someone had just smoked a cigar in. In fact, whomever was in the room had take a plastic bag and taped it over the smoke alarm so it wouldn't go off. By this time, we were completely exhausted and we sprayed the room (it still stank). In the middle of the night, the alarm went off, assuring that good rest was not in the cards for us.

A couple of days later, I called the manager and left a message, which was not returned. Upon return, I wrote a two page letter, included my reservation, coupon, and my return phone number and email. That was a couple of weeks ago and I have heard nothing nor has the credit for the coupon been issued to my credit card. We have often stayed at this hotel on our way to Florida and on our way back. This time, we opted to stay at a Double Tree Suites up the road and were overwhelmed by the cleanliness of the place and the courtesy of the staff - a total contrast to our stay at the Country Inn and for the same price!

Suffice to say, we will never stay at this hotel again and I highly recommend you look elsewhere if you seek a clean, comfortable accommodation in this area.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank RayM402
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I happened to be in town working and was unable to find a room at any of the other hotels as they had no vacancies for some reason. Called the hotel and the lady at the front desk not only told me she had some rooms available but set up my reservation without my Credit Card info as I was in a power plant and my wallet was in the truck. Super nice and the check in process was quick and after a 6 hour drive and another 9 at work I was in my room in under 15 mins from the time I walked in and got my bags. Room was big and the bed was super comfortable and shower was nice and HOT. Did not get to try the breakfast as I had to leave early but it did look good. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it as well.

• Stayed March 2012
Jessica M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Florence, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us - I will be certain to pass along your compliments to the front desk agent that took your reservation and checked you in. They love hearing that they've done a great job making our guests feel at home.We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area!

Jessica McDaniel, GM