All reviews cannon street dorm room shared kitchen king street hominy grill other guests ceiling fan off street parking downtown charleston bars and restaurants free breakfast free trolley few blocks annex vikki bunk porch
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This hostel is fine for location and cleanliness, but extremely inhospitable. Also, there are very few common areas, making it very unsociable and isolated. Yet, if you're lucky, the few people you DO meet here might complain to management about how loudly you cough at night and they will have you kicked out no questions asked. Kicked out with no place else to go, without any prior warning or any discussion, because someone didn't expect there to be any noises in a communal dorm room. Yeah, worst hostel I have EVER stayed at.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Thank you for your review Avery. I understand you are upset we asked you to leave. We were told that you were vomiting throughout the night by three other guests in your room and so we offered you a refund. We have several common areas (4 kitchens, 4 porches, the lobby, the garden, the outdoor patio) for our guests to socialize. Your review is actually a testament to the fact that we care very much about our guests comfort and safety.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

The notsohostel is a very great place to stay. It was really close to king street and it's very much on the quiet side. The staff was very friendly and showed me the southern hospitality I was looking for. I only wish I could stay another night.

Trip type: Travelled solo
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for your review, so glad you enjoyed your stay and we would love to host you again on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

I spent a few nights in one of the all female dorms and enjoyed my stay. The hostel was within walking distance to the historic center which was very helpful as I did not have a car. The room was small, but nicely decorated and clean. We had a small kitchen to use for our room and two other rooms as well access to the larger kitchen in the main house where breakfast supplies were left out for guests. We only had one bathroom on our floor which sometimes meant a bit of a wait in the morning but this wasn't too much of a problem. The staff and the other guests who i met were all very friendly. Compared to hostels that i have stayed in in Europe, this one is less social and more expensive but it was still good.

1  Thank luluazul24

Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The staff and atmosphere is absolutely lovely! It felt like I was staying in an old charleston home and yet not missing out on any of the modern updates you need today like wifi and quality bathrooms. It's so much different than other hostels I've stayed in where it feels more sterile and less friendly. Made so many great friends!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Thank you for your review, so glad you enjoyed the staff and the atmosphere and would love to host you again on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I really enjoyed my time at NotSo Hostel! The houses are beautiful upkept pre-war homes turned hostel, kitchens stocked with everything you need to cook, and a great social environment. The staff were helpful and made recommendations for what to do in the area. Overall loved the hostel and will definitely return in the future!

Room tip: I personally loved the dorms in the back house, Cyprus in particular!
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for your review, so happy to have hosted you and hope you'll come again soon!