“Perfect spot”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 22 April 2012

First of all, a perfect location and walkable to sites, restaurants and shopping. The room was nicely decorated, good size with a small fridge. The bed was very comfortable. Parking was a little problem since we paid for on site parking but since the lot was full, we ended parking across the street in an empty lot. The room cofee was not to our liking, but there is a Starbucks in the lobby, or better yet, head over to Kudu Coffee at 4 Vanderhorst Ave, for one of the best coffee places in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rasa B
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear RRB2010,

Thank you for staying with us while in Charleston. Sounded like the location fit the bill and the room was to your liking.

We do have 2 levels of parking and both of them can fill up. We also have access to 2 different parking lots on both sides of the hotel and one of those does not require you to cross the street. That lot is conveniently located in back of the hotel and you are able to enter through the same entrance as someone in our lot.

Whether its visiting our Starbucks in the lobby or a local coffee house, we agree that a great cup of coffee is a necessity!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here with my family again, as it was overall a very nice experience. But the value of these reviews is to make others aware of some things that occur that you otherwise wouldn't have any idea about.

What was good:

The location is good, only a few blocks from everything in Charleston you really want to see and do.
Very nice lobby area
Nice porch with rocking chairs (although there's no view to speak of, it's a nice touch)
Room was nice, with comfortable beds
I believe there's an outdoor pool, although we didn't use it
Convenient parking with no fee - very unusual not to be charged to park in a city area hotel, but the self parking was very convenient here which was great.
A small gas station mini-mart across the street if you need essentials
Free coffee and tea, always good to have!

What wasn't so good:

Check-in: I'm a big Marriott fan, and Gold member who stays pretty much exclusively at Marriotts, so I have a lot of experience with checking in at these hotels. We arrived at 3:59, and when I told the woman we were checking in she actually had the nerve to say that it wasn't time to check in yet....???? I politely reminded her that by now it was actually 4p, to which she responded 'yes but it just turned 4p and not all the rooms are ready at this time'. Well, beyond the fact that she was clearly in a mood, I understood that maybe all the rooms weren't ready yet, so I asked her how long it would be. She said they were working on it and she'd let me know when a room was available. I reminded her also about my stated preference to have a high floor, to which she replied that this may cause an additional delay. It was clear to me that there was some problem with rooms being ready b/c I wasn't the only one being told this, and several others were hanging around by this time as well.

After about 30 mins with no word, and noticing that several others were checking in and getting rooms, I approached another person at the front desk area to ask what was happening, and why I wasn't getting a room when others after me were (thinking maybe the high floor request had something to do with it). This person told me that they were having some problem with housekeeping not having a way to notify the front desk of room availability, but she'd be happy to help me and get me a room. I asked what happened to being notified by the other woman, to which this woman responded that she didn't know what happened. Fair enough, it wasn't her fault, but the other woman, who was pretty rude, clearly just blew me off and never intended to let me know about a room unless I came back. I have her name but am choosing not to go public with it at this time out of respect for Marriott and the overall positive experiences I continue to have with them. But I'm making the hotel manager aware so others don't suffer the same interaction as I did. It was way below Marriott standards, and it shouldn't continue to happen or this woman should be removed from the front desk where polite interaction is critical since it's the first encounter. She could have so easily handled it in a more honest manner that would have prevented the mess that ensued. It seemed that she didn't take her job and role seriously, and/or she simply didn't care about having the job at all.

The other area that you should know about is the on-site restaurant. This is not a big deal, but again it's sometimes the little details that can make/break a trip. First, the Marriott properties that have these little on-site restaurants baffle me. This replaces the typical breakfast services that are offered at so many Marriotts, either in form of a complimentary buffet at some, or a full scale restaurant at others. This is more of a take out only place that I've seen at several Courtyard's around the Country. And at every one, I've had a very similar experience, which is terrible service and very over priced food. The good news is that the food is pretty good, but once again the service we had was really bad. In this case it was b/c the main person taking orders had two new people working with her....which she wasn't shy about telling everyone. She was a pleasant woman, and working hard to keep things moving, but understandably the two new people were a bit lost, which led to some real problems for people getting their food order on time, as they requested and without having to go back up to get it right a few times. In my case they forgot a food item completely until I reminded them.

I'm really not intolerant, and completely understand that you have to train new people at some point. Maybe it's just my bad luck, but since I've been to these Marriott mini take out spots several times and they've all been pretty bad experiences, I'm guessing it's not just me. It's just tough to have to deal with this when you are trying to feed a family and are in a bit of a rush. I wish Marriott would eliminate these type of restaurants in their hotels, I think they are misguided for their clientele.

So my suggestion to you is either plan some extra time for breakfast on-site just in case it takes a while, or head out and grab breakfast at one of the many options nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Opinionsareus

Dear Addictedtotravel1,

First off we very much appreciate that you are addicted to travel as your name implies and we are hopeful that more people will get the same addiction!

We appreciate that you took the time to give insightful details of your visit. We actually do charge $14 per night for parking but the best part is that you are able come and go as you please.

I am very apologetic for the poor check-in experience. We will not tolerate the type of attitude that you experienced and we do take service very seriously. I assure you that every guest service agent that works for us will read your review. We do have some very friendly team members and those are the folks that will have a good career with us.

I am also regretful that you did not enjoy the Bistro dining experience. As you identified this is the new concept at Courtyard and we are continuing to refine the experience to make it better for the guests. We are hearing your feedback and we will make it the best it can be.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband booked a trip for us to Charleston on January 16, 2012 at this hotel. It was my birthday as well as the 25th anniversary of his proposal to me in Charleston. Our trip was April 13th, so we felt we had given the hotel ample time to note our requests (which as Platinum Marriott members, has never been a problem at any other property in the Marriott family)

This hotel has a fabulous concierge in Kevin McQuade who helped us to create what he described as a very ambitious itinerary by phone months in advance. Upon arrival, we found that despite having a 4 month notice, that our room was not at all what we had booked, nor was it even described online. We had very small quarters with almost no hanging or storage space for clothes or bags and what little there was, was taken up by a plastic bag of bedding--supposedly for the pull out sofa bed which was not in the room , nor would one have fit. We were placed at the end of a hallway next to the exit door. One of the elevators was out of service and the exit door slammed shut, the bed wall in our room vibrating with each jarring slam, ALL NIGHT LONG. Charleston is a huge springtime destination, especially for weddings. Rooms are not cheap, and it seemed that the one across from us had more occupants than usual due to the loud partying that flowed into the hallway til the wee hours and the non stop door slamming.

No attempt was made by the hotel to rectify this situation and in fact when we left three days early, we were greatly offended by the lack of interest the hotel manager showed in trying to rectify the situation. Instead, he sent us a nasty letter via email saying we checked out rather than allow him to fix the room (we had asked repeatedly) and did not bother to call us directly per our request, but sent his assistant to offer to credit us with points.

We moved to a lovely place and did not experience any lack of hospitality there, however, we did lose the better part of a day as well as two miserable nights. When we called Marriott's head office, the gm suddenly got a conscience and brought champagne and chocolate and then proceeded to attempt to pay for our dinners in restaurants--if he had only offered us breakfast on Sunday in his hotel while he had our items moved to another room--one that we had actually booked, he would have saved us all a lot of agony. Still, he could not find the time to call us despite my husbands' request until after noon on Monday.

Our experience with Marriott has been nothing less than stellar. They wrote the book on hospitality. unfortunately, this gm neglected to read it. His lack of professionalism and refusal to take responsibility is not in line with Marriott. That said, we lost much in time and frustration We travelled from Arizona and we will not be able to make the trip at our whim any time in the near future to make up for our time lost in scrambling to find comfortable and quiet accommodations during the height of the busy season.

If you value your time in Charleston, this is probably a poor choice of hotels.

Room Tip: we planned ahead 3 months and could not get a good room--or even their "standard King" whi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bluewar

Dear bluewar,

Thank you for being loyal Marriott guests. We definitely agree that it was our mistake for not picking a room on a high floor for you at check-in. We have shared your husband's very detailed letter with every member of our team and we have also tried to do a better job of ranking our rooms in better order of size and attributes based on what the guest is requesting.

You and your husband decided to leave the hotel Sunday morning and I believe I missed seeing you by about 1 hour or less. I am very apologetic that you would not allow us to move you to a room on a high floor that would have provided more room and a much improved view. Yes, I know that our AGM attempted to resolve this first, but I was never made aware that your husband had asked to speak directly with me until it was too late and you were both gone, 3 days early.

I personally got in my car and drove to the boutique luxury hotel where you and your husband spent the rest of your stay in Charleston with hopes of speaking with you. At no time did Marriott tell me to do anything, in fact, I did everything on my own with a true intent to resolve the problem. Your husband did not return my phone call on Monday and did not return my email until you arrived back in Arizona after your visit.

I will continue my response in your husband's review which follows this one.

We do appreciate your business very much and it is our true desire to serve our guests to the best of our ability.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I booked a King Room with Sofabed on 1/16/12 for 5 nights beginning on 4/13, for a very special occasion. I spend a great deal of time in Marriott Properties and am a Platinum Elite Member. When the reservation was made, I had the agent note the special occasion, and then followed up with the hotel directly several times to insure that info was on file. We have a standing request for a high room, extra towels and foam pillows. None of these requests were honored by this hotel even with 90 days notice.

Upon check in, we were shocked to discover the smallest, noisiest room in America. One King bed and barely enough room to turn around in. Closet space to hold a maximum of 5 hangers with clothes and no where to put the rest. A dirty bathroom with minimal towels, no soap or shampoo, filthy shower glass and several pubic hairs on the bathroom floor. And we are on the 3rd floor of 6, on the heavy traffic side. Remember, we are booked for 5 nights! On the website, a room that meets this description does not even exist. We were booked and confirmed for a room with King and Sofabed, Living/Sitting Area, Soundproof windows, Shower/tub combination and an iPod dock. Clearly I was at the wrong hotel as none of these were anywhere to be found.

Hotel was at full occupancy due to multiple wedding parties and was I told that there was nowhere to move us. Again, remember 5 night stay, special occasion, Platinum Elite Status and 90 day advance reservation. Welcome to the Marriott Courtyard Charleston Historic District!! Where we downgrade Marriott's most frequent guests to rooms that are so bad that we do not even show them on our website, and we make sure that they are dirty too! Let us ruin a vacation that you worked so hard to get, and travel so far to get to (2000 miles.)

After 2 nights of little or no sleep because of partying in the halls, adjacent exit door slamming all night long(probably due to inoperative elevator) and lots of singing going on, we chose to leave. For some reason, the management and staff were surprised. After all, they were going to finally upgrade(???) us to the room for which we had been confirmed in. I made multiple requests to 4 different associates for the GM to call me. Instead I had the assistant call repeatedly on his behalf-it apparently was beneath him. Shortly after noon the following day, I got my call back with apology and shock that I had left. Basically the message was that you should have given us another chance. Right! I had lost 2 nights and a full day of a trip from 2000 miles away and I am going to try again. That was why I reached out at 8:30am the day before, but he was too important to call me back. It appears that he, the GM, did not get a conscious until he got a call from Corporate. Then he wanted to do something. Sorry-too little, too late.

The staff at the hotel were kind and caring. Kevin McQuade was everything that you read about and then some. The management staff could learn a thing or two from him. The hotel is a glorified Holiday Inn on the outskirts of the Historic District. The property, although claims to be renovated, is in poor condition except for the main floor. From the previous reviews and my experience, the elevators could stand a bit of work. Only one of the 2 were working at a time during my 40 hour stay.

As things stand right now, I am out the Marriott Reward Points for a 5 night stay and $1341. for a 3 night stay in another location. The town was booked solid and there were not many options for us. The GM does not feel that he owes me anything as I left voluntarily, even though I was going to get moved to a larger room late on the 3rd day. I am appalled and am slowly working my way to Bill Marriott, Arne Sorenson and the CEO of the Hotel Owner, Mit Shah. I have given the GM every opportunity to make this right and he refuses.

I wish that I could give an overall rating of this property less than terrible, as I certainly would. It is sad, as it has the potential and staff that could actually do well. I see many great reviews, so they must get some things right, but then again even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. It is a shame that they managed to booger up everything for me during my brief stay. It seems that I got the deluxe bad package this time and no one wants to step up and make it right.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gatorinaz

Dear gatorinaz,

Thank you for being a very loyal Platinum Elite Member with Marriott. Your loyalty to Marriott is very much appreciated.

I am saddened that you and your wife felt the need to give us 2 reviews for your stay with us. I take full responsibility for the shortcomings you pointed out and I am committed to making things better at our hotel.

I am regretful that we did not block you in a better room prior to your arrival and we have gone through many different scenarios with our front desk team based on your observations.

We had about 45 Marriott Rewards Elite arrivals out of the 100 on the Friday night you arrived. We are one of the highest Marriott Rewards redemptions hotels in all of the Courtyard brand and we try very hard to get it right with every one of them. It was my mistake for not seeing the note in your reservation. That said, I do trust my team to make good decisions and our hotel is only as good as all of the people that serve our guests here.

You are a valued guest of Marriott and we greatly appreciate your honest feedback and criticism.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I spent several nights here and the hotel is within several walking blocks to everything. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I really liked the decor in the lobby/lounge/bar are and the overall feel of the hotel. My only issue was parking...very limited on property and is a fee.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo