“Great walk through Charleston with fun stories!”

Ghosts of The South
Ranked #84 of 238 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In business for 15 years. We offer nightly GHOST TOURS. We visit sights that have been on the HISTORY CHANNEL/DISCOVERY CHANNEL and GHOST ADVENTURS. All our guides are experts in Charleston's haunted history.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Such a fun tour! We scheduled the Thursday night tour, but dinner ran late, so they let us jump in on the Friday night tour, no problem! Such a fun tour and our guide was such a nice, Charleston Native. I would definitely recommend!

haunted29401, Manager at Ghosts of The South, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thank you for you kind words about your experience.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"architecture"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Without reviews I knew this would be a must during our trip to Charleston. I loved Julian T. Buxton III's book and looked forward to the night time walk to hear the narratives in person. To start with we were greeted by a friendly staff as we signed in that included Julian's wife and the author himself! They were engaging in conversation while we waited and the bonus is I now have a signed copy of his book "The Ghosts of Charleston. " Mr. Neal was our tour guide and my family can't say enough about his story telling prowess. We were engaged and hung on his every word with each stop. Two memorable events happened on the tour that we will fondly recall over and again. The first, while standing in a narrow cobble stone paved alley, during a high point in the story, a rat jumped out of a rubbage container and scurried between all guests on the tour!! Many squealed and then we laughed as it broke the dramatic story tension. The tour ends inside the Unitarian Cemetary after dark, when it's closed to the public & yes, this is the only tour company in Charleston with this privelidge. The final event was here, in the shadows of the foliage, the church bell tower and a huge palmetto tree. As Mr. Neal was reciting a poem by Edgar Allen Poe, "Annabell Lee", the air was still to start with but as he spoke the line that starts with "That the wind came out of the cloud....", a breeze kicked up rustling through the foliage and the large palmetto tree and continued until he finished the poem. Against a bright lit night sky and nearly full moon, we couldn't have asked for a more perfect ending to this memorable tour!

1  Thank julieruschhaupt
Reviewed 19 May 2017

Reviewed 16 May 2017

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We decided to go on this tour because of its high rating. The tour itself was average, at best. The tour guide was not very good at all. To start off, I tried to get a reservation about three days ahead of time and was told by the guy who answered the phone that they can only take reservations on the day of. When I called back on the day we wanted to do the tour, he told me the 10:00 slot was sold out. So that was the first annoyance, because I would have gladly paid ahead of time to secure our spot. Not a huge deal, we went at a different time, even though we had to cut other plans short. I wanted to go to the Charleston jail, and l when I originally called, he said they went to the Charleston jail. When we never made a stop there, I went to speak with the tour guide after, and asked if I misunderstood and the jail is part of a different tour. He said yes. Ok, not a huge deal, that was a misunderstanding that I didn't clarify ahead of time. But when I went to ask him how much it costs to do the jail tour, he obviously thought I was about to complain and was very brusque with me and abruptly said "have a good night" and walked off. After a fairly mediocre tour, this was the final straw that made me realize their customer service is not good at all, and I can't give this tour a high rating. I normally don't like to write negative reviews, but I felt that this had a falsely high rating and that I should put my two cents in.

2  Thank Karyn P
haunted29401, Public Relations Manager at Ghosts of The South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

As with every complaint the company launches an investigation. First we contacted ever other person that took the exact tour. They had nothing but praise for the tour guide. They stated he was energetic and entertaining. We also contacted Mrs. Paterson
the complainant. Mrs Paterson was with her family. She stated on the "phone" that the tour guide was fine over all. Mrs. Paterson stated that when she called to book the tour she "did not specify that her party wanted to go to the jail". Had she done this our company would have directed her to the wright tour. Mrs. Paterson also stated that over-all the other people in her group liked the tour. We encourage all the readers of Mrs. Paterson's response to remember this is her OPINION. And no other person on the tour had any complaints. After 14 years in business we have learned that sometimes you can't please everyone.