“How did this get rated so high?”

Ghosts of The South
Guided Haunted History Walking Tour of Charleston
Ranked #70 of 232 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In business for 14 years. We offer nightly GHOST TOURS. We visit sights that have been on the HISTORY CHANNEL/DISCOVERY CHANNEL and GHOST ADVENTURS. All our guides are experts in Charleston's haunted history.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We decided to go on this tour because of its high rating. The tour itself was average, at best. The tour guide was not very good at all. To start off, I tried to get a reservation about three days ahead of time and was told by the guy who answered the phone that they can only take reservations on the day of. When I called back on the day we wanted to do the tour, he told me the 10:00 slot was sold out. So that was the first annoyance, because I would have gladly paid ahead of time to secure our spot. Not a huge deal, we went at a different time, even though we had to cut other plans short. I wanted to go to the Charleston jail, and l when I originally called, he said they went to the Charleston jail. When we never made a stop there, I went to speak with the tour guide after, and asked if I misunderstood and the jail is part of a different tour. He said yes. Ok, not a huge deal, that was a misunderstanding that I didn't clarify ahead of time. But when I went to ask him how much it costs to do the jail tour, he obviously thought I was about to complain and was very brusque with me and abruptly said "have a good night" and walked off. After a fairly mediocre tour, this was the final straw that made me realize their customer service is not good at all, and I can't give this tour a high rating. I normally don't like to write negative reviews, but I felt that this had a falsely high rating and that I should put my two cents in.

haunted29401, Public Relations Manager at Ghosts of The South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

As with every complaint the company launches an investigation. First we contacted ever other person that took the exact tour. They had nothing but praise for the tour guide. They stated he was energetic and entertaining. We also contacted Mrs. Paterson
the complainant. Mrs Paterson was with her family. She stated on the "phone" that the tour guide was fine over all. Mrs. Paterson stated that when she called to book the tour she "did not specify that her party wanted to go to the jail". Had she done this our company would have directed her to the wright tour. Mrs. Paterson also stated that over-all the other people in her group liked the tour. We encourage all the readers of Mrs. Paterson's response to remember this is her OPINION. And no other person on the tour had any complaints. After 14 years in business we have learned that sometimes you can't please everyone.

There are newer reviews for Ghosts of The South

Reviewed 26 April 2017

We took the 8:00 tour, which took us around a circuit of just over one mile in downtown Charleston near the churches and market area. Our tour guide did a great job of weaving local history and interesting sites into his tour. He clearly was very knowledgeable about the area and told the tales of the various ghosts that have been sighted in that area. The history behind each story made it fun. He did not try to creep us out; he told each tale in a light manner and shared various photos of the ghosts that folks had caught in action. The tour lasted about an hour. The tour guide accepts cash wth a reservation. The price is $20 when you mention the website that they have, or bring one of their brochures.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Our guide John was really knowledgeable and funny. Glad we chose this tour and not some of the others. The other groups we passed looked bored, haha. Really the guide is everything one these tours and ask for John, he's great.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We went on this tour on a cold night at 10pm. But we all had fun and enjoyed the night. The guide was a normal person and didn't pretend to have had ghostly experiences of his own, or be something he wasn't. We enjoyed the historical information and pictures on ipad. Would go back and take another stroll. I took the attached picture and circled in blue what I believe looks like something (I'll leave you to decide if you see what I see without influencing with my opinion). Zoom in and let me know what you think. If you think I captured something (I snapped some pics), then maybe you can capture something on your tour too! But I'd recommend this experience.

4  Thank Tom W
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Our guide was informative and wove together the local lore and history very well. The walk is at a good pace with breaks and the time is over before you notice it.
While I noted in some reviews that people were upset that you couldn't get into the graveyards and such, it is private property so you cannot expect the tour comp to get you access. Also many of these churches are open during the day time if you truly want to be up close and personal with the graves.
It's simply a walking historical and local tails tour, that's what I paid for and what I got.