“First and Best Spring Break Meal”

Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 984 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: USD 10 - USD 35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Cumblerland
Transit: Public Transit (bus) stop is located directly in front of the restaurant.
Description: Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar opened in 2009, reviving the former Amen name of Cumberland Street and restoring this historic corner. The new renovation stays true to the beauty of the original 1800's architecture while creating a comfortable atmosphere for contemporary life. Located at 205 East Bay Street in the heart of the historic district this Charleston seafood restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor dining all within walking distance of the local Market and the Charleston Harbor. The menu includes a variety of seafood dishes such as oysters, clams and shrimp in addition to an ever growing raw bar menu. Amen Street supports Charleston's local fishing industry with market fresh fish. We are open for lunch and dinner. Walk-ins are welcome and reservations are accepted as well.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My daughter and I planned a trip to Florida with stops in Charleston on the way down and Savannah on the way back up. Turns out our first stop and dinner was the best of the entire trip. We started with the Broad River Blades house oysters on the half shell. They were extremely tasty. We also got the Tuna Carpacio appetizer. It was also great but, as it turns out, unnecessary and bit pricey for the amount of food. Next, we had the She Crab Soup with a bit of sherry on top. It's got to be some of the best soup I've ever had. Finally, we shared the Fried Seafood Platter of fish, shrimp and oysters with creamed corn and hush puppies. The waitress pre-split the platter for us and it was still more than enough food for each of us. We couldn't even finish. Omg, the creamed corn was simply phenomenal. I'm not a huge corn fan but I couldn't stop eating my bowl of it. The fried fish and shrimp were each perfect. I love raw oysters but not fried oysters so much. So, I ate one and left the rest. If you like them, though, they were good as were the hush puppies. Overall, it was unforgettable meal with great service. I'd drive all the way down from Raleigh to do it again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,404)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Food was delicious (crab cakes and shrimp app). Conveniently located. Service was fantastic. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We chose Amen Street since we had never been there on any our trips to Charleston. We were seated immediately as we had booked through Open Table. It did seem to take a really long time to get our oysters, then longer for the main courses. When they came, we were both underwhelmed at the portions for what the cost was. It is a fun place to go, but it is loud and the seating is crowded for a table for two. However, you can strike up a conversation with your adjoining table and get to know them!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Many restaurants say they receive fresh seafood daily, but this one honestly does. Several people who live next door told us that they see the trucks deliver daily, but not true of many of the other places nearby.

We had fresh raw oysters, haddock, salmon and tuna. ALL were so exceptional.

The service was quick and professional.
A great selection to chose from.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

During our five day trip to Charleston, this was the biggest (and most expensive!) letdown. I should’ve known just based upon the location in the middle of the most touristy area. I ordered the special which was soft shell crab on a spectacularly bland carrot purée (why???). Over cooked, over seasoned, over hyped special that truly was disappointing on every level. Our daughter had tuna tacos, fairly straightforward yet these were completely bland. My husband’s crab cakes could possibly be the most boring crab cakes we have ever eaten. And to top it off, every single item was room temperature or colder (she-crab soup was barely warm)! I will never understand the reviews for this place. Red Lobster would’ve been more satisfying, at least we would feel like we were getting our money’s worth. I’m giving two stars, one for the shrimp corn dogs (even though they were cold) and one for the oysters on the half shell (pricey but good).