“I am glad I checked it out, but wish I knew more.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of American Military Museum

American Military Museum
Ranked #108 of 227 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of the American military, featuring uniforms and memorabilia from all the major wars.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 222 helpful votes
“I am glad I checked it out, but wish I knew more.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

This place was a great place to visit. I really enjoyed looking at all the uniforms and feeling like I'm looking at the people who wore those uniforms througout our history. I wish there was just more to read about the uniforms though. There was very little to read at this place, other than what war and country the uniforms were from.

2 Thank tennboy1981

Ayer, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

This museum is a perfect example of one of those wonderfully enjoyable small museums you stumble across unexpectedly. I'm a military history buff and I've toured museums both large and small across the US and Europe, and I rate this one highly. For anyone interested in military uniforms, the American Military Museum is a must see. The uniform collection is vast and well displayed, and browsing the collection is an excellent way to spend 1-2 hours. I visited the museum after concluding the Fort Sumter tour. The museum is a very short walk from the Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center, and I had more than sufficient time to browse the museum after returning from the 2:30 Fort Sumter tour. If you're a military history enthusiast, definitely try to fit this little museum into your itinerary.

1 Thank WorldStomper
Akron, Ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Museum, Friendly and helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

We visited this museum while in Charleston (only for a day) and I was glad we stopped by. No one in my immediate family is current or previous military, but the exhibits kept our attention and were very nicely displayed.

We expected to stay the afternoon, but were through the entire museum in about 2 hours. Price was extremely reasonable.

2 Thank f220
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 798 helpful votes
“Good For Those Interested In Military History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

The title says it. This is a reasonably priced attraction for those who are interested in military history, particularly veterans. I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, so I found the place very interesting, but I really don't think those who have never served would find anything interesting here. This is a military uniform collection only, and there is virtually no military hardware on display here. The uniforms are displayed chronologically, in order of various periods in American military history. Military books and other items were very reasonably priced in the store. There is a cafe over the museum, so you can continually hear women walking in high heels over your head.

2 Thank Cruiser100
Houston, TX
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Not what I was expecting, but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2006

I think we were expecting more of your traditional museum. This however, is a trip through time using the uniforms of military engagements. They have a great collection of uniforms and personal effects from soldiers starting with the current war in Iraq all the way back to the Revolutionary War. They have packed a lot in to a small location and if you are a military buff or the spouse of one, it is worth a trip.

This museum is underneath a cafe, so there is a bit of an unusual smell and some outside noise in there.

3 Thank 1_to_travel_on