“Shrimp & grits!”
Review of Pawpaw

Pawpaw
Reserve with OpenTable
Pawpaw is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 993 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: USD 20 - USD 150
Description: Situated on Charleston's storied East Bay Street, Pawpaw offers a modern, Southern-inspired menu helmed by Chef Jared Rogers. Rogers' menu focuses on family farms and seasonality, changing according the peak seasons for local and regional ingredients. The menu features a live fire grill, handmade pastas, and shareable plates. General Manager Jared K. Jones curated the beverage program for Pawpaw, which highlights local liquor, rare bourbons, and South Carolina beers on tap, as well as unique wine varietals from around the globe. Notably, he also spent a year traveling, tasting, and building relationships in order to source high quality wines from North Carolina.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was near our hotel, so my husband & I decided to try it. Our server, Savannah, was attentive & knowledgeable about the menu. She recommended the shrimp & grits which were DELICIOUS! My husband & I shared the dish because the portion was generous. We also had the crab bite appetizer which was also excellent. The food prices were reasonable, but the wine prices I felt were a little high. The restaurant was a little noisy, but still had a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I don't know if this place knows their food is really good, and figure people will come even if the hostesses and servers are terrible. We walked in (only looking for a standard table for 4) when the restaurant was half empty. They made us wait at the bar for over an hour to be seated, while many tables were available (and set with place settings). I assumed they were understaffed and leaving tables empty, but they gave us no explanation for the wait. And then they eventually sat us at a table which was open & set when we first walked in. Then, the waitress was cold and rude. She never introduced herself. When we asked her for suggestions and she pushed the menus toward us, turned her head, and walked away. And it didn't get better. She seemed to avoid the table most of the evening, and never asked how we were doing or if we needed anything. So, this place should probably be rated 1-star based on service... but the food was really exceptional. The shrimp & grits might be the best I have ever had. So compliments to the chef! But they should get some better people working the front room.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Food was fantastic. Fried chicken was some of the best I have had. My wife had the spinach salad with a side of fried checken and she raved about it. Andre, our server was great. Recommend without reservation!

Reviewed 27 March 2018

This was our first time at Pawpaw and we were not impressed. Walked in for a late lunch (2:30), crowd was thin and we were seated immediately...and we sat for at least 15 minutes. My husband had to find someone and ask if we were going to have service. A waiter came over and apologized and took our order. Hush puppies, definitely worth a try, they were alittle overdone, but the the inside was delicious. You only get 5 for an appetizer, other establishments give a few more. We also ordered the mac and cheese, a bit loose and watery, fried chicken sandwich was plentiful, done just right served with all the fixings and french fries. Pawpaw chicken was huge with 4 pieces of chicken, collard greens and mash potatoes. The service was much better for the rest of day. Worth a try and will give it a second look next time I am back in the area.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Loved this place so much we ate here twice on vacation! The first day we strolled in from the sweltering heat looking quite unkempt. We'd just literally walked in circles following google when in reality we were a straight shot from our hotel. To say I was a bit cross with my travel partner is an understatement. The hostess promptly seated us and thank goodness did not take our grimacing faces as a personal affront. We spoke with the server and informed him of our food restrictions and we were very easily accommodated. As a result, we returned another evening. The server that evening was quite charming and went above and beyond as it seemed everything my daughter ordered had ingredients she was allergic too. This man had the patience of a saint! On our first visit we had the BEST shrimp and grits ever. During our evening visit we had their homemade pasta. Oh my word was it amazing!! I still dream about it. This is a must on any trip to Charleston and I recommend it every chance I get. Thank you Pawpaw's for making our trip outstanding.