15 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUSD 215
PricelineUSD 215
FindHotelUSD 173
3,848 results
All reviews swamp fox historic hotel great location king street an older hotel within walking distance small bathroom beautiful lobby downtown charleston front desk staff bed was very comfortable parking garage southern hospitality conference college charm valet
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 November 2021

This ended up being a perfect place to stay for our trip to Charleston. The Francis Marion is a beautiful, classic hotel. A nice lobby, a friendly and helpful staff, and an absolutely fantastic location on King Street. We stayed in a rather large suite on the top floor which gave us an excellent view of the city and Charleston Harbor.
Can't find anything negative to say about this place.

Reviewed 1 November 2021 via mobile

The hotel is in desperate need of a massive upgrade. The bones of the structure have a lot of potential and the location is excellent. But, the furniture throughout the common areas and rooms is old and beaten up. The rooms are dated and dingy. Besides being the smallest hotel bathrooms I have ever seen, the fixtures are dated and stained. The hotel has no business charging what is does and should consider a massive overhaul to bring back its old glory with modern amenities.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2021

I love an historic hotel and if you do too, you'll enjoy the Francis Marion as much as I did. This grand lady exudes charm and class, even if she is a little worn around the edges. Sure, some paint may be chipped here and there, some scratches may appear on the furniture, and the air-con is louder than average but you get an experience a chain hotel can never provide: a sense of being a party of a city's history. The lobby is stunning and the rooms themselves are well appointed in traditional furnishes and colors. I especially loved the walk-in closet with cut-glass doorknob. We even had a logo notepad and stationery; I guess I'm old-fashioned for a 38 y/o but I enjoy those touches that are often absent from hotels these days. And no, we did not have a suite...just nice touches in a regular room.

Others have mentioned the bathroom is small and they are correct. I'm not sure why old hotels have small bathrooms but they almost always do so it just comes with the territory; as long is it is clean...and it was...I am okay with it. The room itself however was actually larger than many newer hotel rooms I've stayed in.

If I ever find myself back in Charleston, the Francis Marion will be my go-to! It's a great place and the location is in the heart of everything.

Reviewed 30 October 2021

This hotel has weathered the years well. The grandeur of the past has been embellished by the renovations of the future....modern windows installed, but extra coats of paint on the doors remind us that this hotel is a classic from generations past. The only downside was housekeeping, which I can forgive in light of the Covid effects resulting is staff shortages..Location across the street from the free DASH bus shuttle was a plus in an already excellent location. I’d love to;return.

Reviewed 30 October 2021

If you want something other than a Marriott with some charm, Francis Marion is a great choice. The location is perfect for walking everywhere. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are tiny, so know that going in. The Swamp Fox restaurant is in the hotel and serves from morning to night, and the food is good. I would return to this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends