21 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUSD 272
Hotels.comUSD 272
FindHotelUSD 234
3,853 results
All reviews swamp fox historic hotel great location king street an older hotel within walking distance small bathroom beautiful lobby bell staff downtown charleston bed was very comfortable parking garage southern hospitality conference college charm valet
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 October 2021

This hotel has weathered the years well. The grandeur of the past has been embellished by the renovations of the future....modern windows installed, but extra coats of paint on the doors remind us that this hotel is a classic from generations past. The only downside was housekeeping, which I can forgive in light of the Covid effects resulting is staff shortages..Location across the street from the free DASH bus shuttle was a plus in an already excellent location. I’d love to;return.

Reviewed 30 October 2021

If you want something other than a Marriott with some charm, Francis Marion is a great choice. The location is perfect for walking everywhere. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are tiny, so know that going in. The Swamp Fox restaurant is in the hotel and serves from morning to night, and the food is good. I would return to this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2021

Francis Marion has a convenient location just across from King Street shopping area. Meeting St restaurants are a few blocks away, and Battery is a 25-30 minute walk (highly recommended in early morning). Staff were friendly, efficient and calm even though hotel was busy. Special thanks to Sylvie at Swamp Fox restaurant, who was remarkably welcoming and helpful during our nice lunch there. The hotel building is from an elegant, earlier era and is clean and well maintained. Furnishings in my 6th floor room seemed new and I had a nice view over the historic district. Bathroom was small as was typical of that era, but enough for one person at a time. Hotel is reasonably priced by Charleston standards. I would stay there again. (As aside, hotel recommends masks but few guests wore them, even on crowded elevators — but this seemed to be the case everywhere in Charleston).

Reviewed 18 October 2021

My husband was not well, and the hotel not only allowed us to check in early, but upgraded our room. The valet parking went so quickly and bellhops were super helpful. Our room was very clean. Since it is an older hotel the bathroom was quite small but that did not bother us. Furnishings were befitting an historic Charleston hotel, beds comfortable and the view from the room very nice of the park across the street. The location is perfect if you want to walk the historic section of the city. Even though the spa is not part of the hotel, my husband had an excellent massage.

Room tip: The best views are from the upper floors where you can see the park and the river.
Reviewed 10 October 2021

I last visited the Francis Marion Hotel in 1966. I dined at the Swamp Fox. Charleston was a dry city then. Much has changed but the Francis Marion still has a gentility and an elegance.
I paid extra in order to have a view of the harbor. The view was worth it. The room was much better than average: comfortable bed, slightly cramped bathroom, wonderful tv. The service was friendly and reliable.

Date of stay: September 2021