“A tale of two places”

El Parque
Price range: USD 5 - USD 18
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My wife and I had the opportunity to try this resturant's Mexican fare as a result of an article written in the Newport this Week newspaper.
We found the resturant without difficulty, parked on a side steet and went in the side entrance. It was a bar with pool tables. Not a bad place but dated. We had a beer and asked what was behind the darkened window and door. We were told the resturant, we looked in and found it very hospitable. It was well lighted and nice "east coast mexican" decor.
A friendly waitress named Katie came by and provided specials menu. We knew about the Winter Dinner specials and asked. We were told yes they were available.
We oredered the Calmari appetizer in addition to the dinner special which comes with a botle of wine. I'll get to the wine in a second.
The Calamari was lightly breaded and deep fried served with peper rings and a sauce. The calamari was excellent, nicely done and a good amount. A definite keeper. The side of sauce was well ok!
My dinner was the Mexican Paella my wife had Shrimp Relleno.
The paella was good, an ok portion for the price. It contained chicken, calimari and shrimp in a rice mixed with a cream style sauce.....tasty!
The shrimp relleno was a little disappointing because it lacked the relleno pepper flavor. It just got lost in the breading. My wife explained it as '....it was ok... sort of!' Decipher what you will out of that statement.
Overall not a bad place to visit. The review we read in the paper was more generous in their descriptors for this resturant than warranted. It is a keeper as we plan to go back.
Yes the wine. Avia was the brand and is served by many resturants in the area as an enticement for dining during the off months. It is a Chilean wine that is shipped and bottled in Slovenia. It's not a bad wine but I cannot work the economics of transporting wine (in bulk) to bottle in Slovenia and ship to te USA. Talk about leaving a carbon footprint.
BTW the bartender who told us about the restaurant also stopped by to ask how we liked our meal. Not bad!