“Very Decent Mexican Food For New England”
Review of El Parque - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Parque
Price range: USD 5 - USD 18
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Service this visit was much quicker and more attentive than my past experience over the years. The beer was colt and quick to come. My Carnitas pork was a little dry. As is so typical the server offered desert instead of making some specific cuggestions to wet the appetite.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Went to this restaurant after a friend of my father's recommended it. This person must not like my father.

As a prior reviewer noted the calamari is pretty good and I agree. So is the salsa served with the complimentary chips. That's it though.

I had a pork burrito, which was basically a bunch of lettuce, guacamole and other fillers wrapped up with a pinch of meat. The "Mexican rice" I ordered on the side tasted instant, was undercooked and the portion small especially considering it was ordered as side dish itself.

My father's ribs were ok but the cornbread it came with was congealed yellow glue. One bite and I was picking at my teeth for 10 min trying to get it off. Gross!

But the coup de gras was when I finished my soda. I was informed that refills on my soft drink would be charged as the first one. I opted to have my meal with water out of principle.

Aside from the food though the place is great. Dark, old, dirty with plenty of neck tattoos on the drunken patrons.

First review I've ever been compelled to write hope it saves your dinner, it's too late for me.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

My husband and I have been eating at El Parque at least once a month for the past year. While we have our favorite dishes, everything we have tasted has been great. The prices are good and the portions are huge (we need at least 4 people to tackle the nachos). The Margaritas are some of the best I have ever tasted. Whenever anyone visits us in Portsmouth we bring them here and we have heard nothing but rave reviews from our guests. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 15 January 2010

If you crave Mexican, but can't make yourself leave Aquidneck Island, I highly recommend this place. Fresh salsa and chips and pretty decent enchiladas and burritos. Not much atmosphere, but price justifies that.

Reviewed 16 March 2009

My wife and I had the opportunity to try this resturant's Mexican fare as a result of an article written in the Newport this Week newspaper.
We found the resturant without difficulty, parked on a side steet and went in the side entrance. It was a bar with pool tables. Not a bad place but dated. We had a beer and asked what was behind the darkened window and door. We were told the resturant, we looked in and found it very hospitable. It was well lighted and nice "east coast mexican" decor.
A friendly waitress named Katie came by and provided specials menu. We knew about the Winter Dinner specials and asked. We were told yes they were available.
We oredered the Calmari appetizer in addition to the dinner special which comes with a botle of wine. I'll get to the wine in a second.
The Calamari was lightly breaded and deep fried served with peper rings and a sauce. The calamari was excellent, nicely done and a good amount. A definite keeper. The side of sauce was well ok!
My dinner was the Mexican Paella my wife had Shrimp Relleno.
The paella was good, an ok portion for the price. It contained chicken, calimari and shrimp in a rice mixed with a cream style sauce.....tasty!
The shrimp relleno was a little disappointing because it lacked the relleno pepper flavor. It just got lost in the breading. My wife explained it as '....it was ok... sort of!' Decipher what you will out of that statement.
Overall not a bad place to visit. The review we read in the paper was more generous in their descriptors for this resturant than warranted. It is a keeper as we plan to go back.
Yes the wine. Avia was the brand and is served by many resturants in the area as an enticement for dining during the off months. It is a Chilean wine that is shipped and bottled in Slovenia. It's not a bad wine but I cannot work the economics of transporting wine (in bulk) to bottle in Slovenia and ship to te USA. Talk about leaving a carbon footprint.
BTW the bartender who told us about the restaurant also stopped by to ask how we liked our meal. Not bad!