“Won’t go again ”

Ranked #15 of 47 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: USD 9 - USD 28
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Portsmouth Publick House has become a local destination for delicious, homemade meals in an atmosphere where good food, good friends, and good times are always on the menu. Relax in our cozy dining room complete with a raw bar, a full bar, and a fireplace, or lounge on our outdoor patio complete with a firepit. Either way, we’ll make you feel right at home as you sip on a drink and explore our menu. You’ll find an extensive selection of flavorful, mouth-watering dishes to satisfy any appetite whether you’re here for lunch, dinner, or our Sunday brunch.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Much preferred the coffee shop. Was in town and noticed the Groupon offer so figured we’d give it a try for lunch. WAY overpriced!! No lunch menu and yet our server waited until she dropped the check to tell us the Groupon was only valid for dinner. Ok I understand that’s the policy and the server doesn’t have control over that directly, however that was quite deceptive since it was on the table the entire meal. Server would only speak to us as she was walking by, couldn’t be bothered to even stop to speak directly to us and it certainly was not busy! Won’t go back and definitely do not recommend, buyer beware!!

2  Thank Jennifer C
Alan C, Owner at Portsmouth Publick House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thank you for reaching out, Jennifer. It's obviously disappointing you felt at all deceived by our Groupon policies, and I'm sorry our server didn't realize you had a coupon until your check was brought out. Please know it wasn't done on purpose. We're typically known for our attentive, friendly team, so I do hope we'll get another chance at showing you that.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Not happy so nice this changed hands several years ago. The Publick House now has one of the best chefs in RI, but it is as if he doesn’t work there. Where is he? Hiding?? The food is mediocre at best. It makes no sense. I see the chef on TV and the food is beautiful and executed perfectly, but there hasn’t been even one time when my food has been up to par. Sauces are congealed; things are over cooked or cold. Portions are small for the price. The Sunday brunch foods were very dried out. Once I ordered a shrimp a buck, one of their advertised “deals”. It was a floppy 40-60 sized medium shrimp that clearly had been frozen. So the place has good potential, but it just doesn’t match up. I go their often but only because I live nearby and I keep hoping it will change. And the service is dreadful. One shouldn’t wait 10 minutes for coffee at a Sunday Brunch.

1  Thank DrFunZ
Alan C, Owner at Portsmouth Publick House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

I am sorry to hear this, especially since we've been lucky to have you as a fan all these years. One thing that's always been consistent for us is providing not only a delicious, well-prepared meal, but also attentive and accommodating service. From your comments, it seems that we missed the mark on a few occasions. If that has been the case, I always encourage guests to speak with a manager so we can make things right. I know we're much more capable than what you describe, so I hope we'll have a chance to truly deliver on the brunches you've enjoyed in the past.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

First time going in to this place, very clean atmosphere. The beer selection was excellent ( I like ipa's) and the food was perfect.

I'm glad to hear your first visit went well, Mike! We look forward to welcoming you back for another meal, and of course another cold IPA.

Until next time,

Reviewed 28 December 2017

Clean restaurant with nice atmosphere. Service wasn't bad but wasn't great. Food wasn't bad but also wasn't great. The prices were far to expensive for it just being just a standard American pub.

I know you wrote this a few months back, but I wanted to address your review. It's clear we didn't exactly blow you away with our food and service, so I hope we can hear more specifics as to what we can do better next time you're in the area. I'm confident my team can deliver on the five-star experience you were looking for!

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Six of us, including two children, visited for brunch. The restaurant had a pleasant decor, was clean, and the food was attractively presented. Besides the usual scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and breads, there were fresh fruits and yogurt. Two versions of eggs Benedict were available. The benedicts were fine, but the bread they rested on was tough, probably overtoasted.

I know you wrote this back in December, but I had to say thanks for stopping by for brunch! I do apologize if the bread seemed off, but I'm glad the Benedicts, fresh fruit, and yogurt could hit the spot. Hope to see you again next time you're in Portsmouth.